Bridgestone Potenza Pole Position RE960AS runflat ride report - Page 2 - GL1800Riders
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-18-2016, 02:48 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rail32 View Post
Wow , that's quite a title I inherited .

Oh my. You are going to need a bigger hat ... To print that title on!

Ironhorse1800, Hoss
2004 VTX1800N3 Red, Darkside Goodyear Assurance Tripletred 205/60/R16
2008 GL1800 ABS/NAV Red, Darkside #1273
[B]Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3 195/55/16 / [COLOR=#000000]Yokohama Avid Envigor ZPS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-29-2016, 03:41 PM
Seasoned Member

Looking forward to trying out the Yoko, have some longer rides coming up and another Texas IBA next month.[/COLOR]

Again - thanks to all who responded.
.[/QUOTE]

Jerry. I was wondering if you got the YOKO mounted and if so your impressions so far?

I've put a couple of hundred miles on mine and really like it! Anxious to see how it does 2 up pulling a trailer to Montrose and back, plus spirited riding while there.

'08 Pearl White Audio Comfort Nav. Wing with Traxxion Mega Monte '12 Ducati Diavel Red

Tom Simmons modified seat
Aluma MCTXL
Prowler #33
Darksider #629
Rear YOKO Avid Envigor ZPS rof at 33 psi with 3oz beads front 'stone 709 at 36psi 2oz. beads
Vanishing species Daytona native[/SIZE]
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-30-2016, 03:06 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackLash View Post
Jerry. I was wondering if you got the YOKO mounted and if so your impressions so far?

I've put a couple of hundred miles on mine and really like it! Anxious to see how it does 2 up pulling a trailer to Montrose and back, plus spirited riding while there.

Yes it is mounted, my one dollar disposal fee is paid for tossing the old tire, and I'm good to go. Tire is doing well so far, will be putting some mileage on over the next couple of weeks, then off to Texas and Louisiana and points in-between (about 3k miles of smiles coming up ) As I pull a Bushtec - I could probably ride a truck tire and wouldn't notice much difference with or without the trailer attached .

Even though I'm retired (yay) - I'm not sure when I had the time to work Working the County Fair this week, moving 44 tons of topsoil around this coming weekend, just restained some furniture, repaired two electric motors - just haven't had much time to do anything more than short rides. But so far - I'm liking the tire. Handles well 2-up. I've got some mileage scheduled for next week - I'll post an update then.
BackLash likes this.

Double Darksider #847
IBA #54767 BB1500+
Patriot Guard
Who I was yesterday is but a past memory, who I will be tomorrow is in the future. Who I am now and the type of person I am to others, that is what is important now.

post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-14-2016, 08:07 AM
Contributing Member

Thank you for the tire report. I've got a PA3 that is down to the tread bars after just 10,000 miles. I usually run it at 32psi, though I bumped it up when my wife and a full load of luggage was aboard. However, I do run at above average speeds, and I ride in the Texas heat when you don't see anyone else on a bike. So I guess I'm tire shopping once again. I was really happy with that tire, too. Even with the comparatively low mileage, that was twice what I would usually get out of a rear tire (have the Battlax on the front). I think it saved my bacon a couple of times, and was great on bad surfaces, such as gravel, mud, rock, heavy rain, sand, etc. I am not comfortable with the asymmetrical tread patterns. I tend to push a bit too hard in the twisties and I don't want to experience any difference between left and right. The Yoko, Bridgestone, and even the Dunlop seem worth considering.

DOC
The Biased Internet Reporter
HOST: The MLF
Host: CCW
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-14-2016, 10:15 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

I've put some mileage on the Yoko now, and I'm glad I followed @Rail32 's suggestion to use it vs. the Driveguard I was contemplating. Good tire, nice transitions in the corners, comfortable two-up riding (compared to harder MC tire). We'll see how the mileage goes - but that's not my main consideration for a tire.
Ironhorse1800 likes this.

Double Darksider #847
IBA #54767 BB1500+
Patriot Guard
Who I was yesterday is but a past memory, who I will be tomorrow is in the future. Who I am now and the type of person I am to others, that is what is important now.
post #16 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-14-2016, 01:04 PM
Seasoned Member

On my bike the driveguard was good but yoko is slightly better. Usually run 27 to 30 psi on my tire gauge at 70 degrees cold. Mileage was about the same on both. Also have the Yoko on Harley Ultra.

2008 Titanium Gl1800
G709 @ 39 psi
Yokohama Avid Envigor ZPS RFT @ 28 to 30 psi
post #17 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-14-2016, 10:47 PM
Seasoned Member

See. That's what's good about forum. I personally didn't like the yoko. Like alpine or drive guard better. 26/27 lbs. course when I get the training wheels off my opinion mite change😉

WE ALL GOT TO GO SOMETIME .....ALWAYS TO SOON
FL. PROWLER # 62
DOUBLE DARKSIDER "WONKY" DRIVEGUARD REAR
BT 45 FRONT
post #18 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-14-2016, 11:51 PM
Seasoned Member

Well I just gotta ask.... Total thread hijack

this is coming from the truck club world ( diesel performance ) and towing our RV. The tires are rated at a max load capacity, and the tires have a max psi rating. General rule was to pump your tires up when towing and you got that big load on back, especially the camper guys. The tires have a max load rating but I didn't think that was at any ole psi. I always thought that was at max psi. Some guys even take the max load divide by max psi and come up with a weight per lbs value. Then figure out the empty weight of the truck versus the loaded weight and calculate the psi tire pressure to use when running empty. I even went as far as running over the scales and getting the weight on the front and weight on the rear and using different F/R tire pressures. And I got great mileage out of them. Well as long as I as not getting to crazy with burnouts....

I can understand one of the advantages of the CT is the increased load capacity considering the weight of the wing etc. But I guess I don't see how we get that running 28psi for example. Doing the math the truck guys would use my Alpin PA3 ZP says on the side 1201 lbs (??) and 51psi as max. That would mean 23.5 lbs per psi. Lets assume the wife and I loaded down heading on the road at 1000lbs on the rear tire. That is 42.5 psi I should be running. Of course we are not using that. At least I am not, based on what I read here.

I guess I just see everyone discussing what psi to use based on how it feels, now it handles and wear considerations. Pumping it up for the twisties and lowering it for regular use, etc. What about the air pressure and how it effects the load capacity of the tire. -- Yes I know its a run flat. Yeah the tire can run with 0 air pressure. Yeah, like 50 or 100 miles. They don't last 10K or 20K on 0 air pressure.

So the question becomes is it realistic to expect 83% of the tires max load capacity, when only running 63% of its max air capacity (32psi)?

2005 GL1800ABS 60,000mi
2003 ZG1000 131,000mi
IBA 28004
Darkside #1707
post #19 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-15-2016, 01:19 AM
Seasoned Member

REASON I RUN 26/27 IS SO TIRE WEARS MORE EVEN. IF IN TWISTIES AS YOU STATED I TRY N BUMP TO 32 SOME ON HERE WILL GET MORE TECHY ON YOU. AS MORE DRAG ON TIRE SHOULD GET TIRE HOTTER TEMP SO WOULD BELIEVE IT GOES UP IN PRESSURE. DONT THINK YOU CAN COMPARE TO TRUCK WEIGHT ON TIRES. ON MC THE CT WITH LESS AIR STILL SAFER THAN MT ( IF RF) BECAUSE OF THE STIFFER SIDEWALL. KINDA WHAT WORKS FOR YOU. ALL THE "OVER THINKIN" NOT REALLY CHANGING ANYTHING

WE ALL GOT TO GO SOMETIME .....ALWAYS TO SOON
FL. PROWLER # 62
DOUBLE DARKSIDER "WONKY" DRIVEGUARD REAR
BT 45 FRONT
post #20 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-15-2016, 02:46 AM
Seasoned Member

Personally I don't see why the same theory does not apply. just seems unrealistic to me to expect a tire to hold max weight or close to that, at only half of its rated air capacity.

One thing I read this evening, on tirerack.com about load ratings, is truck tires come in Load range C, D, E, etc. Each has its corresponding max air pressure, C=50psi, D=65psi, E=80psi.

On passenger car tires they says most are designed around a Standard Load rating at 35psi air pressure. And generally they don't mark anything on the tire for Standard Load rating. NO marking means SL. Then there is the LightLoad rating (LL still 35psi) and a ExtraLoad (XL at 41psi). And the 51 psi I read on the side wall is the max inflation pressure. And so "if" the 1201 lbs max load is really at 35psi of the Standard Load rating, then we are in really good shape running the classic 32psi most cars do. And probably why most cars are 32psi. -- 1201 / 35 is 34.3 lb per psi. My 1000lb load should only need 29.1psi going by the above formula. Probably why 26/27 gives best wear on a weight of a GL1800. The 32psi many like to run is well above whats needed for load support. -- Assuming 51psi is max inflation pressure and 35psi is Standard Load pressure.

On Edit. Using tirerack's tire selection filters they also show a Reinforced RF load rating. But I didnt see on the load rating page a psi pressure rating for that range.

2005 GL1800ABS 60,000mi
2003 ZG1000 131,000mi
IBA 28004
Darkside #1707

Last edited by Slybones; 09-15-2016 at 03:06 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page