Car Tire...sorry - GL1800Riders
 17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 09:35 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Car Tire...sorry

Hey guys,
First of all, I'm sorry for asking a Car Tire question because I know it's something that has probably been hashed over a million times. I really HAVE done a lot of google searching and have read countless posts from this board, but here is my problem...

Some of the tires guys love to use here, I can't seem to find on sites like TireRack. Is it possible that the exact names of tires have changed over the years?

I can't find this one in particular...

Michelin Primacy Alpin ZP RF tire 195/55-16

Is there one I can run with high enough pressure to keep the TPM light off and still get a decent ride?

I have a 2013 GL1800. My third wing. Never tried a CT. Only have used the 704's.

Thanks,
Russ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 09:44 PM
Seasoned Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatadorMkV View Post
Hey guys,
First of all, I'm sorry for asking a Car Tire question because I know it's something that has probably been hashed over a million times. I really HAVE done a lot of google searching and have read countless posts from this board, but here is my problem...

Some of the tires guys love to use here, I can't seem to find on sites like TireRack. Is it possible that the exact names of tires have changed over the years?

I can't find this one in particular...

Michelin Primacy Alpin ZP RF tire 195/55-16

Is there one I can run with high enough pressure to keep the TPM light off and still get a decent ride?

I have a 2013 GL1800. My third wing. Never tried a CT. Only have used the 704's.

Thanks,
Russ
Russ, the Alpin is a winter tire. It has been discontinued. The hot tires right now are the Bridgestone Driveguard and the Yokohama Envigor both in Run Flats. Both available in 195/55-16, the preferred size. In a Run Flat a good place to start is 32 psi, and work you way up or down depending on the feel/wear. With the TPMS sensors you have to get the tool to switch the TPMS sensors from front to rear for the light to go off. A few Darksiders have this tool.

I'm sure the mods will move this to Darkside forum, the guys should be able to offer you some more info.

-Don
"Simple is as simple does."

DS#788

Current inventory-

2008 GL1800P- Challenger Brown Metallic
2013 Victory Vision Tour- Solid Black
2012 Kawasaki ZX-14R- Metallic Spark Black
2002 Kawasaki KZ1000p(olice)- Black/White

Links-

Walrus crumbs-http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...3fXcRKf8f5YLSy

Victory Vision forum-http://gl1800riders.com/forums/74-wi...-new-bike.html
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 09:51 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Hey thanks! I never heard of the tool.

post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 08:18 AM
Seasoned Member

Russ, as was mentioned the tire you referred to is the winter tread that has been discontinued. I put 40,000 on that tire & like a lot of us I liked it. The Michelin Primacy ZP RF tire 195/55-16 is the summer tread of the same tire. Myself & several of my buddies are using this tire, a little more expensive but for me I like it even better than the winter tread. Just got another one last weekend for one of my buddies so they are available.
Weege likes this.

Darkside Rider #1215

195-55-R16 Michelin Primacy HP ZP

post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 08:35 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walrus View Post
Russ, the Alpin is a winter tire. It has been discontinued. The hot tires right now are the Bridgestone Driveguard and the Yokohama Envigor both in Run Flats. Both available in 195/55-16, the preferred size. In a Run Flat a good place to start is 32 psi, and work you way up or down depending on the feel/wear. With the TPMS sensors you have to get the tool to switch the TPMS sensors from front to rear for the light to go off. A few Darksiders have this tool.

I'm sure the mods will move this to Darkside forum, the guys should be able to offer you some more info.
Good info there. @Rail32 will be along with more.

After running several Alpin, I moved on to the Yokohama and like it.

I would not recommend a non-run flat CT. A big part of the reason I went dark is Run Flat safety. But, in my mind the RF tire's will not run at a high enough pressure to keep the Bike TPMS light turned off. Reversing the sensor registration will knock that idiot light out after the tire warms up. My '08 doesn't have TPMS, so I went with a true pressure monitor system, FOBO. I would suggest doing after market TPMS and disabling the bike's idiot light.

Moved to dark side too!
Monk likes this.

Ironhorse1800, Hoss
2004 VTX1800N3 Red, Darkside Goodyear Assurance Tripletred 205/60/R16
2008 GL1800 ABS/NAV Red, Darkside #1273
[B]Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3 195/55/16 / [COLOR=#000000]Yokohama Avid Envigor ZPS
post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 08:58 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

So with the TPMS...my choices are...

1. Reverse Register back to front (not sure how to do this).

2. Just Remove it from the wheel (can I do this?)

3. Run enough pressure to keep the light off (I've read some guys actually like higher pressures in some of the run flat tires like the Bridgestone Driveguard).

4. Really don't want to do the tape thing...LOL.
post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 10:09 AM
Seasoned Member

This is just my two cents worth, when it comes to the TPMS.

I believe it is important to get some type of after market TPMS installed on the bike. The OEM system is just a light and nothing more. The after market systems will give you the actual tire pressure in real time. For me, that is invaluable information.

If I'm in the Rocky Mountains at altitude that is high enough to trigger a warning from the system, I can know what my actual pressure is, which tells me if it is serious enough to stop.

My other experience with the TPMS was in Arkansas. The light came on, as I was getting on I-40 at about 70+ MPH. When I checked the pressure it was 26 PSI. The next exit was about one mile down the road. At that exit it was down to 19 PSI. That told me I had a big problem that needed my immediate attention. Just can't get that out of the OEM system.

I have two extra rims that do not have the OEM TPMS sensor. When running one of those the yellow TPMS light on the far left will stay on. I've actually run it so much that way that I've become accustom to it being on. But that is just me.
speckfisher and Weege like this.

Retired and riding the Ozarks - Arkansas Ridgerunner

Red - 2014
Pirelli SnowControl Runflat 195/55/16 40 PSI
Pirelli Cinturato P1 RunFlat 195/55/16 44 PSI
Traxxion by Paul Bihm - Midwest Custom Cycle Work
Darkside #623 - 190,000 Darkside Miles and Counting
IBA # 42128

post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 10:34 AM
Super Moderator

One of the trike manufacturing companies makes a plug-n-play harness plug that will shut the light off. If I recall correctly, it is CSC, California Side Car.

Yes, the sensor can be removed and replaced with standard valve stem.

Ironhorse1800, Hoss
2004 VTX1800N3 Red, Darkside Goodyear Assurance Tripletred 205/60/R16
2008 GL1800 ABS/NAV Red, Darkside #1273
[B]Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3 195/55/16 / [COLOR=#000000]Yokohama Avid Envigor ZPS
post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 11:42 AM
Seasoned Member

Ironhorse1800 -

Yes, California Side Car sells a plug to disable the TPMS. I put one on my bike because I am triking it, and the front tires (reverse trike) will not have a sensor that works with the stock system. It sells for $35 pus shipping and handling.
Ironhorse1800 likes this.
post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 01:45 PM
Seasoned Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatadorMkV View Post
So with the TPMS...my choices are...

1. Reverse Register back to front (not sure how to do this).

2. Just Remove it from the wheel (can I do this?)

3. Run enough pressure to keep the light off (I've read some guys actually like higher pressures in some of the run flat tires like the Bridgestone Driveguard).

4. Really don't want to do the tape thing...LOL.
1. That's where the electronic tool/gizmo comes in. I heard it relatively simple. Never did it, my bike is pre TPMS. 2009 was the first year for TPMS on a GL1800.

2. Sure you can, put in the valve stems of your choice. The OEM TPMS sensor is all in the valve stem.

3. You can, I think the idiot light for the rear shuts off at 36 psi or so. Only thing guys typically don't pump up RF tires that high, unless you live in the Smokies and carry pretty good speed in the corners. Otherwise you'll be wearing out the center mucho quicker.

4. I don't blame you, I think the CSC trike thing and a aftermarket TPMS is the hot tip. Especially if you plan on selling in a few years.

There's a lot for options for an aftermarket TPMS now. Every little Chinese sweatshop has one. I run a FOBO TPMS, right now. It's a Bluetooth/BT unit, good for a pre ride check without getting down on the ground with a gauge. You need a smartphone to interact with this unit. While riding if I don't put my phone in a cradle and/or turn on helmet BT, I'm not going to get much of a warning for a low tire. Hopefully I'll hear the alarm, thru my riding jacket @ 70 mph, with death metal blaring over the wing's stereo.

I have a Sena 20, but it isn't always on, to give me a audio warning. It gets left on once in awile, to a dead battery. Also a long day ride will mostly wipe out the battery on the Sena. Leaving it dying on you the day after, usually midday. Like a smartphone it's gotta go on the charger everyday.

If I did it all over again, I'd opt for Doran or a type where a phone isn't the only display/buzzer for a warning. At least the Doran has a display that's mounted to the bike. Then it's always working, if the sensor batteries are good. It's a stand alone unit, it does not rely on a bunch of other devices.

Hope this helps. Sorry #4 got a little long.
Monk likes this.

-Don
"Simple is as simple does."

DS#788

Current inventory-

2008 GL1800P- Challenger Brown Metallic
2013 Victory Vision Tour- Solid Black
2012 Kawasaki ZX-14R- Metallic Spark Black
2002 Kawasaki KZ1000p(olice)- Black/White

Links-

Walrus crumbs-http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...3fXcRKf8f5YLSy

Victory Vision forum-http://gl1800riders.com/forums/74-wi...-new-bike.html

Last edited by Walrus; 02-13-2017 at 01:47 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page