GL1800Riders Forums banner

Last Michelin Alpin

1K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  bbalzer 
#1 ·
Yesterday was a "sad day". I mounted my last Michelin Alpin ZP tire on my spare rim. I'm at 107,300 miles now and on my 6th Alpin. It appears that number 7 on the spare will be my last. These should last me this year but next year looks like a Driveguard unless something new comes along. :crying::frown2:

#2 ·
WAS ONE ON EBAY ... $234 :surprise:

#3 ·
My kids boy friend works for a wholesaler got him looking

#6 ·
I have been pleased with my DriveGuard, pulled the Alpin when I noticed a slight bulge on one side just before the fall darkside ride in. Like the DriveGuard better. It has plenty of miles left but I'm just not comfortable with it. Considering swapping it in and out, using it only near home, probably not worth the effort.

#8 ·
I "tried" to BT45 Battleaxes, but just could not,like them. Wore the edges off way to fast, develop cracks down in the grooves, and just didn't get enough mileage out of them to be worth what I felt the negatives were. No more BT45s for me. I got 19,000 miles out of the first one and as riding improved, only got 15,000 miles out of the second one. Yeah, I tried the 41 psi thingy too. I'll stick with the regular "Stone" up front. :)

Reactions: Rapidray
#9 ·
Barry, I'm currently running the Yoko Avid Envignor - and I actually like it better than the Alpin. While I liked the Alpin, I found the tire to be a bit squirmy due to the extra siping (winter version of the tire), and actually bumped pressure up on it to reduce the squirms till the siping wore down some. If you want to try it next month at Glen's, we can swap tires and let you try it if you desire.

#10 ·
The 195-55-R16 Michelin Primacy HP ZP is the summer tire. I have had both the Alpine & the Primacy, prefer the Primacy but can not really tell any difference in ride or performance. Several of my riding buddies have used both & like myself can not feel any difference from one to the other. Just sharring info & experience.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.