What tire to replace with - Page 2 - GL1800Riders
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 08:31 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by revrunt View Post
Boomer, these tires fluctuate in cost. At the time I bought my last DG, I got three of them locallly on sale for $80 and some change, each. At that time the Avid was over $120 shipped to my door. Maybe not half, but cheaper at that point in time. I stand corrected as to the current and suggested price comparison. Please forgive....

Thanks!
Nothing to forgive. Everyone giving input is good. I just thought you had found a really good place to buy tires. $80 each is an excellent price. Please forgive me if I came across too harsh.
revrunt likes this.

Darkside #1255
Yokohama Avid Envigor ZPS
Leader of the first Darkside Ride-in
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 10:33 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Gonna be a tough decision when the new tire time rolls around. I might have to do the eannie...meannie...minnety...moe thing. I was reading on the Darkside forums that some guys were talking about the tire weight...what difference does this make? Also I read that the Driveguard tire has two different thread patterns on either side of the center line...does this make a difference in mounting...which side goes where?

Sorry for all the questions and thanks to everyone for your input.

$hooter
DarkSider #785
Shooter6406@charter.net
2008 Black-Cherry Wing
Front = Bridgestone 709 @ 41 psi
Rear = Kumho Escta RF 195/55R/16RF @ 32 psi

post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 03:29 AM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by $hooter View Post
Gonna be a tough decision when the new tire time rolls around. I might have to do the eannie...meannie...minnety...moe thing. I was reading on the Darkside forums that some guys were talking about the tire weight...what difference does this make? Also I read that the Driveguard tire has two different thread patterns on either side of the center line...does this make a difference in mounting...which side goes where?

Sorry for all the questions and thanks to everyone for your input.
Unless you are one of the top 3% aggressive riders the weight of a tire will make little difference. They say it helps with flicking the bike back and forth. So unless you are in the category of a street racer through the twisties it should not make a difference.

I'm not positive but I believe this is why the Driveguard has to be mounted in a certain way. I have been using the Yokohama Avid Envigor ZPS and I am very happy with it. I have not used the Driveguard so I can not comment on it. I just know you would mount it as if it was going on the left side of your car.
Rapidray likes this.

Darkside #1255
Yokohama Avid Envigor ZPS
Leader of the first Darkside Ride-in

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 08:13 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer1832cc View Post
Unless you are one of the top 3% aggressive riders the weight of a tire will make little difference. They say it helps with flicking the bike back and forth. So unless you are in the category of a street racer through the twisties it should not make a difference.

I'm not positive but I believe this is why the Driveguard has to be mounted in a certain way. I have been using the Yokohama Avid Envigor ZPS and I am very happy with it. I have not used the Driveguard so I can not comment on it. I just know you would mount it as if it was going on the left side of your car.

Thanks Boomer on the tire weight thing. I can ride like a crotch rocket, but rarely do so. I enjoy a nice comfortable, relaxing, cruising ride as opposed to working at it in the twisties. In the twisties, I just like to cruise thru at a mede-oker speed. To me, it is far more enjoyable to just ease along. With what you have said, I am leaning slightly towards the Yoko tire and just guessing on it, but looking at the tread, I assume it is a directional tire like my Kumho.

The Driveguard must be a good tire also, but the mounting of it has me somewhat in a knot as how to tell which side mounts to the left with the different treads on the bottom.

Thanks Boomer

$hooter
DarkSider #785
Shooter6406@charter.net
2008 Black-Cherry Wing
Front = Bridgestone 709 @ 41 psi
Rear = Kumho Escta RF 195/55R/16RF @ 32 psi

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 08:37 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by yleecoyote23 View Post
I also have a Michelin Alpin that is no longer being made.....so i ordered and mounted a Yokohama Avid Envigor on my spare wheel. I put in on my bike a couple of weeks ago and have to say after a couple of hundred miles, I may actually like it better than the Alpin. Time will tell and I still have alot of miles still on my Michelin if I decide to put it back on, but think I have found a worthy replacement...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer1832cc View Post
I have only ran two CT since going to the Darkside. My first was the Alpine which I only ran a couple of them. I then switched to the Yokohoma AVID ENVIGOR ZPS and I really like it. I have just put my sixth one on the bike. In my opinion the Yoko feels a little more rounded than the Alpine but the Alpine had a slightly softer feel. My problem with the Alpine was when it was pushed hard in the twisties. I like the Yoko well enough that I will have a hard time switching unless it is discontinued.
Agree. I liked my Alpins - several. Everything I like about them, I liked a little more on the Yokohama. For me, the Yoko does not last as many miles as the Alpins did, but it is less expensive too. So miles per $ is about the same. YMMV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Turkey View Post
Which run flat is easiest to mount. Last time we gouged the tire as it was being mounted and leaked down on me the next day. Had to throw it away. I went back to a m/c tire but i am going to put about 20,000 miles on my bike in the next 10 months and want something that will go for the long haul.
Get a small bucket of Murphy' tire lube. A little dab will do 'ya and make mounting easier. Go ahead and add that little bucket to your will. I think a small bucket will last 3-4 generations.

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/x...FYG4wAoddNgMyQ

Ironhorse1800, Hoss
2004 VTX1800N3 Red, Darkside Goodyear Assurance Tripletred 205/60/R16
2008 GL1800 ABS/NAV Red, Darkside #1273
[B]Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3 195/55/16 / [COLOR=#000000]Yokohama Avid Envigor ZPS

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page