What tire to replace with - GL1800Riders
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-14-2017, 10:20 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

What tire to replace with

Howdy all...havent been on here in a while but I am looking somewhat ahead for a new run flat even tho I dont need one at the moment. I have a fairly new Kumho with about 6000 miles on it so I will probably run it thru the summer to next spring. I have discovered that the Kumho and the Alpin have been discontinued...double bummer.... I see that many are going for the Driveguard for a replacement, but I was also wondering if anyone has tried any of these other tires...and if so, what do you think?

Yokohama AVID ENVigor ZPS 195/55-16 Tire

Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS Pole Position RFT 195/55-16 Tire

Bridgestone Blizzak LM-60 RFT 195/55-16 Tire

Thanks for any and all advice.

Paul

$hooter
DarkSider #785
Shooter6406@charter.net
2008 Black-Cherry Wing
Front = Bridgestone 709 @ 41 psi
Rear = Kumho Escta RF 195/55R/16RF @ 32 psi

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-14-2017, 10:31 PM
Seasoned Member

I also have a Michelin Alpin that is no longer being made.....so i ordered and mounted a Yokohama Avid Envigor on my spare wheel. I put in on my bike a couple of weeks ago and have to say after a couple of hundred miles, I may actually like it better than the Alpin. Time will tell and I still have alot of miles still on my Michelin if I decide to put it back on, but think I have found a worthy replacement...

2006 GL1800HPNA
In the beautiful Davis Mountains in West Texas and loving every minute of it!!

Double Darkside #1708
Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3 195/55R16
Bridgestone Battlax BT45
Corbin Seat
F4+4 Windshield
Traxxion Trax-Rite billet tree
Progressive Monotubes
Progressive Rear Spring - 2015 shock assembly
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-15-2017, 07:26 AM
Seasoned Member

My last two ct's were Yoko's. While I liked them, I prefer the Driveguard over it.
revrunt likes this.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-15-2017, 07:45 AM
Seasoned Member

I have only ran two CT since going to the Darkside. My first was the Alpine which I only ran a couple of them. I then switched to the Yokohoma AVID ENVIGOR ZPS and I really like it. I have just put my sixth one on the bike. In my opinion the Yoko feels a little more rounded than the Alpine but the Alpine had a slightly softer feel. My problem with the Alpine was when it was pushed hard in the twisties. I like the Yoko well enough that I will have a hard time switching unless it is discontinued.
yleecoyote23 likes this.

Darkside #1255
Yokohama Avid Envigor ZPS
Leader of the first Darkside Ride-in
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-15-2017, 07:46 AM
Seasoned Member

Which run flat is easiest to mount. Last time we gouged the tire as it was being mounted and leaked down on me the next day. Had to throw it away. I went back to a m/c tire but i am going to put about 20,000 miles on my bike in the next 10 months and want something that will go for the long haul.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-15-2017, 09:45 AM
Seasoned Member

Driveguard!! I've worn out three Alpins, two Avids, but the Driveguard is the best tire I've run yet. (Doesn't hurt my feelings that it is also nearly half the cost of the Avid). Price alone would never determine my choice for a tire, but, I'd rather buy gas than tires...

Steve and Mel... over 25 great years together, 42 in all
Darksider #433
Michelin Alpin
Battleax BT45's (over a dozen and counting)
Started really ignorant, getting smarter for over sixty years... long way to go.[/I]
[/CENTER]
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-15-2017, 10:06 AM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by revrunt View Post
Driveguard!! I've worn out three Alpins, two Avids, but the Driveguard is the best tire I've run yet. (Doesn't hurt my feelings that it is also nearly half the cost of the Avid). Price alone would never determine my choice for a tire, but, I'd rather buy gas than tires...

I have never used the Driveguard but, 1/2 the price of a Avid????? Tire rack says they have the Drivegaurd on sale for $114.45 and the Avid is regular price......$109.45 As I said I have never used the Driveguard but where can I get one for $54.73??? I may order a couple at that price.

Darkside #1255
Yokohama Avid Envigor ZPS
Leader of the first Darkside Ride-in
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-15-2017, 10:13 AM
Seasoned Member

Yoko Avid Envigor is $109.45 on Tirerack.com
If I am reading their site correctly the driveguard is $97 AFTER a mail in rebate. Really not a fan of mail in rebates.
I like the driveguard but Yoko is slightly better on my bike. Get about the same mileage with both.

2008 Titanium Gl1800
G709 @ 39 psi
Yokohama Avid Envigor ZPS RFT @ 28 to 30 psi
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-15-2017, 12:04 PM
Seasoned Member

I paid $110 shipped for my drivegard.. wasn't tire rack though..

"The constitutions of most of our States assert that all power is inherent in the people; that... it is their right and duty to be at all times armed"
--Thomas Jefferson

We are advised to NOT judge ALL Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics, but we are encouraged to judge ALL gun owners by the actions of a few lunatics.

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 07:19 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer1832cc View Post
I have never used the Driveguard but, 1/2 the price of a Avid????? Tire rack says they have the Drivegaurd on sale for $114.45 and the Avid is regular price......$109.45 As I said I have never used the Driveguard but where can I get one for $54.73??? I may order a couple at that price.

Boomer, these tires fluctuate in cost. At the time I bought my last DG, I got three of them locallly on sale for $80 and some change, each. At that time the Avid was over $120 shipped to my door. Maybe not half, but cheaper at that point in time. I stand corrected as to the current and suggested price comparison. Please forgive....

Thanks!

Steve and Mel... over 25 great years together, 42 in all
Darksider #433
Michelin Alpin
Battleax BT45's (over a dozen and counting)
Started really ignorant, getting smarter for over sixty years... long way to go.[/I]
[/CENTER]

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page