• 1 Post By UNCLEJOHN
  • 2 Post By Grampawinger
  • 1 Post By Capt. Bob
  • 1 Post By MisterK

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-14-2017, 10:34 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Went back to a motorcycle tire E3

My driveguard was down below the wear bars, then I got a nail. I knew I had something in tire, because my fobo told me my pressure was 21lbs. I knew that was more than temperature fluctuation. BTW, I was sitting on the couch when my fobo alerted me.

Went out and found a nail. My buddy took my driveguard I had in waiting. He took that tire, he left his E3 mounted on a wheel at my house.

BTW, he called me a couple of days later and thanked me for introducing him to the dark side. He immediately fell in love with the ct.

I have put 160k miles on car tires with wings. I forgot how to ride the wing with a mc tire. I almost dropped it in slow speed maneuvers about 20 times. When I turn a corner you can hear the tire howl. I could feel every little crack and bump in the road. I have never had a ct break loose, but darned if I didnt slip that mt a few times on take offs.

Got a new driveguard mounted today, happy again.

BTW, I think the title of my post is a little miss leading LOL>

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
megatwin, Capt. Bob, Monk and 1 others like this.

Kevin

IBA# 55527

Rat Pack 2013

2010 Old Yeller Level 2

Windbender HPS with rake kit

DS: Running yoko's and mich primacy's

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-15-2017, 12:32 AM
Seasoned Member

DANG HERE I THOUGHT THE E3 I HAVE I COULD BRING OUT TO GLENS AND UNLOAD IT ON YA FOR SOME BIG BUCKS !
MisterK likes this.

WE ALL GOT TO GO SOMETIME .....ALWAYS TO SOON
FL. PROWLER # 62
DOUBLE DARKSIDER "WONKY" DRIVEGUARD REAR
BT 45 FRONT
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-15-2017, 05:05 AM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterK View Post
My driveguard was down below the wear bars, then I got a nail. I knew I had something in tire, because my fobo told me my pressure was 21lbs. I knew that was more than temperature fluctuation. BTW, I was sitting on the couch when my fobo alerted me.

Went out and found a nail. My buddy took my driveguard I had in waiting. He took that tire, he left his E3 mounted on a wheel at my house.

BTW, he called me a couple of days later and thanked me for introducing him to the dark side. He immediately fell in love with the ct.

I have put 160k miles on car tires with wings. I forgot how to ride the wing with a mc tire. I almost dropped it in slow speed maneuvers about 20 times. When I turn a corner you can hear the tire howl. I could feel every little crack and bump in the road. I have never had a ct break loose, but darned if I didnt slip that mt a few times on take offs.

Got a new driveguard mounted today, happy again.

TO SAY THE LEAST.......

I bet your passenger had a few words to say about comfort too.

gramps

MisterK and irish44395K like this.

Troy, Michigan 2007 Goldwing
IBA 45141
BBG X5
SS2000 Gold

Mile Eater Bronze, Silver, and Gold

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-15-2017, 05:31 AM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
I'm sure no one on here ever though you would mislead anyone (TIC).
MisterK likes this.

Gl1800A Interceptor Illusion red
Florida Prowler 100
IBA #64117

"Freedom is the length of the chain between a stake in the ground and reality"
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-15-2017, 07:51 AM
Seasoned Member

Give me info on driveguard Kevin, where to order on internet etc. Is it a runflat. I am going back to the darkside, headed up to Seattle this year need to get 20,000 miles out of my back tire.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 12:14 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Turkey View Post
Give me info on driveguard Kevin, where to order on internet etc. Is it a runflat. I am going back to the darkside, headed up to Seattle this year need to get 20,000 miles out of my back tire.

Hey Marvin, I ordered from tire rack I think. This is my second one, my other I got 15k out of it, could have probably got another couple of thousand.

I have the dysfunctional right wrist that likes to move in a manner that does not provide long tire life.

It is a runflat. I would never consider a long trip on a wing with a motorcycle tire. The only tire that slipped on me ever was a stinking MT.

Boomer1832cc likes this.

Kevin

IBA# 55527

Rat Pack 2013

2010 Old Yeller Level 2

Windbender HPS with rake kit

DS: Running yoko's and mich primacy's

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 08:03 PM
Seasoned Member

I had been considering going back to a MC tire on the rear at my next change with the supposedly improved E4's, but one of my riding buddies mounted a set on his Victory and said they howl from the start. Consequently I will be sticking with my present set up.

Darksider #638
Michelin Alpin RF
Patriot Guard Rider

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 06:02 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterK View Post

It is a runflat. I would never consider a long trip on a wing with a motorcycle tire. The only tire that slipped on me ever was a stinking MT.
So...In close to 100K miles using them, I never had a Stone 704 MC slip on me much at all unless I was intentionally trying to make it do it. Now I've been riding with a CT for 20K miles or so and of course, it doesn't slip either.

I wonder if I went back to a MC tire if I'd find it slipping or not. On the one hand, I've always been pretty smooth on throttle application so I don't tend to spin up rear tires on any bike. On the other, I'm guessing I've gotten used to the increased grip on the CT and might try and ask too much of a MC tire.

I'll probably never know as I don't think I'm going back to a MC tire anytime soon.

Current Stable:
2016 KTM Super Duke GT
2015 Honda Grom
2015 Yamaha FZ-09
2013 Honda GL1800 ABS
2004 Suzuki GSXR 750 (Track)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page