Dreading what they are going to do to my street! - GL1800Riders

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-01-2013, 03:28 PM Thread Starter
Contributing Member

Garage
Dreading what they are going to do to my street!

I don't know if they do this in your area but in recent years instead of repaving local side streets, they lay a thick layer of pea gravel on the road and let the residents work that in. I have ran across it unexpectedly and for that first week or so, it is super unstable to ride in, especially turning. We live in a cul du sac and there are only a handful of residents here so not a lot of traffic to work that gravel in.

--
Jeff
Twin Cities, MN
'08 1800, Pearl White, Level 3
Last, '01 Kaw Nomad 1500FI
'02 Honda Sabre, sold 5/13
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-01-2013, 03:35 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Winger View Post
I don't know if they do this in your area but in recent years instead of repaving local side streets, they lay a thick layer of pea gravel on the road and let the residents work that in. I have ran across it unexpectedly and for that first week or so, it is super unstable to ride in, especially turning. We live in a cul du sac and there are only a handful of residents here so not a lot of traffic to work that gravel in.
They do the tar and chip treatment on many roads down here. Spray a coating of asphalt down, then a layer of crushed granite. The crushed rock has sharp edges that is tough on tires, and even after it is run in and all the loose stuff is off the road, it is still rough and noisy to ride on. Depending on traffic it can take a month or more until there is no loose stuff on the road. Overall a real PITA.

Paul & Jodi
Lake Caroline VA
2000 Concours #1 Killed a Deer 2000 Concours #2 Sold for downpayment on Wing
2008 White Goldwing
Full Traxxion Mega Monte
DS# 905

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-01-2013, 03:35 PM
Seasoned Member

Quite common here in TX... Keeps you on your toes.

"The 'Wing is my wife's bike - I'm just the driver."

"It's a motorcycle, not a lifestyle."

Some Pics.
Some Tunes
Trip'n with Tom
05 R1200GS Yup!...
02 GL1800A Hers!
05 DR650SE When the going gets tough...

Please Press '1' for English.
Press '2' to disconnect until you learn to speak English
post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-01-2013, 03:55 PM
Seasoned Member

They don't use pea gravel in my neck of the woods, they used to do the chip seal. As was stated above, sharp edges and hard on tires. The last couple years the state of California has been doing alot of capping with asphalt. I'm sure not complaining about the roads that they repave, very nice. Paying for it with all that printed money though.

KEN.....................Duct tape can't fix stupid.....but it sure can muffle the sound.

2003 GL1800 Durango Red
2000 Champion Colorado trailer
1981 Yamaha XT 250 bought new, still have
1967 Honda scrambler 90 bought new, still have
1976 Honda CB750K bought new, wish I still had
GWRRA http://www.hondagw1800.com/contactlist.pdf
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-01-2013, 04:03 PM
lightley seasoned member

It will be a little tricky for awhile, but in the long run is cost effective.

John

2001 GL1800 base

IBA # 25535

"Could you explain that to me as if I we're a particulary gifted child or a golden retriever?"
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-01-2013, 04:31 PM
Seasoned Member

The do it here in Arkansas as well...People won't slow down in the temp posted zones and it's **** on windshields. Be careful and watch the turns for a month or so.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-01-2013, 04:33 PM

I don't know what's worse, chip sealing or streets whose condition is like the Road of Bones. That seems to be the choice in my neighborhood once the frost heaves have done their damage (i.e., some are too bad to chip seal but not enough money to fix properly).
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-01-2013, 04:37 PM
Seasoned Member

Be very careful!!

DS #343
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-01-2013, 04:41 PM
Banned

It's even worse here, there leaving the road alone and taking away my meadow and gonna build houses... bummer.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-01-2013, 04:58 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jburd View Post
It will be a little tricky for awhile, but in the long run is cost effective.
Yes, it's COST EFFECTIVE for the state, local jurisdiction or who's ever in charge of that operation. They really don't give a rats a$$ about the people, the tires, the floating gravel pieces that get picked up and lodged in tires only to be thrown out at higher speeds into windshields and chip up the paint on hood edges and grill, bumpers etc. They "The government" states that it's a "longevity" thing. It lasts a lot longer than standard paving does. The reason, you're driving on "Rocks" not sand and oil with a glue in it.

Well, we too live on a cul-de-sac and, there was no reason in **** that they needed to do it. The pavement was flawless that was already there. But, after a few phone calls, I finally got to a high enough supervisor who stated that the "computer" said it was time for a coating on the road and that no one had actually sent an inspector out to see what condition the existing pavement was in. They simply ordered up the "Crap" coating based on the computer telling them to. Great system huh? They hadn't started just yet and that supervisor came out for a look. He was a bit embarrassed. He said there's no way our road needed any coating or maintenance but, THE GEARS WERE IN MOTION and there was nothing he could do about the install of the chip coat.

Our neighbors were so pissed. They had kids falling off bikes, kids running and slipping and falling because the "glue" did not hold the chips. We all called again and, they came out and re-coated the entire street again.

Since that coating, our street has been recoated with a rubber/asphalt/micro chip high tech coating that, while seriously better, is not the smooth pavement it was when we moved in 19 years ago. Oh well. That's our government for you.
Scott

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]I can fix it, and if I can't fix it, I can fix it so no one can fix it

Scott & Karla
Dark Sider 556
KI6OND 73s
Lake Havasu City AZ
'08 Level II Caliente Red Metallic
'02 Level I Stream Silver Metallic GW 1800
'94 Glacier Pearl White SE GL 1500
'85 1200 Aspencade
'84 1200 Interstate
RETIRED, 29.5 YEARS, SDFD

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 1152 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page