A good day ruined by a lane change - Page 2 - GL1800Riders
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-30-2016, 09:03 PM
Seasoned Member

Unfortunate but My guess is the officer will be catching some grief from the boss.

ehcycledude@yahoo.com
02 GL1800 yellow 475,000 smiles
Rode my bike to Trailer Week
2013 Yamaha Tenere
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-30-2016, 09:14 PM
Seasoned Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cycledude View Post
Unfortunate but My guess is the officer will be catching some grief from the boss.
You beat me to it
Yeah, he's gonna get "reamed"

Peace, Whiskey.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-30-2016, 09:20 PM
Seasoned Member

Garage
Got a buck-an-a-quarter says he was readin' info from the comp,
looked up & said "O$41t"

Peace, Whiskey.

post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-01-2016, 12:58 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Italian Stallion View Post
Don't you guys know that if the forward looking camera is recording it means that his roof lights are on and he was responding to an emergency, and you would want the trooper to slow down? Sheesh!
I really do not think that is the case. It would be a waste to have a dash cam not on all of the time since they are for the unexpected. It is possible that for some that the roof lights need to be on, but look at the video and there are no reflections on the truck or anything else that indicate roof lights being on, even when the cruiser bounces directly off the side of the truck when the reflection would be very obvious. The roof lights on the cars around here reflect off the side of the trucks up to a half mile away when they are lit up.
hojo in SC likes this.

Paul & Jodi
Lake Caroline VA
2000 Concours #1 Killed a Deer 2000 Concours #2 Sold for downpayment on Wing
2008 White Goldwing
Full Traxxion Mega Monte
DS# 905

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-01-2016, 01:41 PM
Seasoned Member

Doesn't look like the riders bothered to stop and make sure the cop was ok. You can see one of them just passing by.

Jim

2016 Level 3 11K Miles
2005 Yamaha FJR 51K Miles

post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-01-2016, 03:32 PM
Seasoned Member

Send a message via AIM to Italian Stallion
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bug's Zedi View Post
I really do not think that is the case. It would be a waste to have a dash cam not on all of the time since they are for the unexpected. It is possible that for some that the roof lights need to be on, but look at the video and there are no reflections on the truck or anything else that indicate roof lights being on, even when the cruiser bounces directly off the side of the truck when the reflection would be very obvious. The roof lights on the cars around here reflect off the side of the trucks up to a half mile away when they are lit up.
I live in 2 different parts of the country and I know for a fact that NJ police car's roof lights and the forward-looking cameras are both on simultaneously. How do I know that? My son is a Police Officer in a township in NJ for the past 13 years.

In Naples, Florida, my primary residence, which is in Collier County and is patrolled by Collier County Sheriff and Deputies, identical systems are utilized.

If the Trooper was using his lights to get around traffic as mentioned above by another board member, I can't attest to that, and neither could he, but what are the chances that he or she was responding to an actual emergency and rushing to the scene of an accident or to back-up a fellow officer? Imagine if it was one of us? Wouldn't we want help to arrive a quickly as possible?

BTW, sirens can only be utilized by a command from the Trooper, Police Officer or Sheriffs Deputy's superior.

I'm not familiar with Trooper's cars systems in Connecticut, where this accident took place, but, I know that all of these cars are ordered from the factory with these unique systems installed.

Now, we can go back and forth with these opinions and perhaps there are some among us that just like to add fuel to the fire.

I'm not pointing any finger towards anybody, but, I've written the last words that I had to say about this!

I.S.
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-01-2016, 06:41 PM
Seasoned Member

Garage
Regardless of circumstance the officer should have been much more aware.
From the time the biker first flashes his brake lights (and is forced to start moving left) to the officers violent (but necessary) avoidance maneuver, there's a solid 3 count. The officer jus' barely saw him in time, IMO.

Peace, Whiskey.
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-01-2016, 08:46 PM
Super Moderator

I would not assume anything about the video record settings. It all depends on what the agency bought and their preferences. To each agency their own.

Among other things my staff is responsible for 60 in vehicle (bus) camera systems, 4 cameras and audio each. We record from 30 seconds after key on until 20 minutes after key off, all day which is typically about 12 plus hours per day. The DVR holds over 25 days of data before it starts overwriting. To get that much history at usable quality settings required dual hard drives for the DVRs.

So, I have seen more than my share of these types of videos and been on the witness stand regarding them a time or two. Very careful review is necessary as speed, angle and distance tend to get distorted watching the 3 dimension world go by on a flat screen. Once time I spent 3 hours watching a 30 second clip, went out and drove into the same intersection again and again and again, parked and watch the traffic signal for over an hour, then watched the video some more just to be sure I had it right!

I also teach defensive driving and have training in accident reconstruction.

Without have been there, read the reports and hopefully interviewed the parties, the only thing I will say from the video is that the truck sure appears to have made an unsafe lane change as the root cause of the accident - unless somebody to his right did something stupid too.

Ironhorse1800, Hoss
2004 VTX1800N3 Red, Darkside Goodyear Assurance Tripletred 205/60/R16
2008 GL1800 ABS/NAV Red, Darkside #1273
[B]Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3 195/55/16 / [COLOR=#000000]Yokohama Avid Envigor ZPS
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-02-2016, 09:52 AM
JW.
Seasoned Member

My take on this video seems completely different to you folks. Presuming the truck driver was not swerving to avoid an obstruction which we can't see on the video. The initial cause of the accident is the failure of the truck driver to properly assess his freedom to make a lane change. He/she appears to not have seen the bikes though there are two of them, and even if the first one was not seen the second one should have been. There is no indication of the lane change given by the truck's indicators which there should have been given the close proximity of the second bike and it is also incumbent on the truck driver to check into the blind spot area before signalling and starting a manoeuvre.

Secondly the biker made a bad move too and his first reaction should have been to brake firmly with the intention of falling in behind the truck while giving himself time to look into his rearview mirror to check whether he is free to make a lane change without causing an accident himself. If the swerve was a panic reaction then it should have been the minimum to move out of danger and certainly not a move out into the centre of the fast lane!

The police were travelling fast, which they are entitled to do since they are in the outside lane, so that isn't an issue but they should maybe have been a little more aware of the situation unfolding in front of them, though we don't know the motive behind their high speed and what pressure they were under at the time. We all will have a maximum processing ability and can be forced to exceed it in exceptional circumstances.

Just IMHO of course.

Regarding swerving; it is a technique taught and assessed in our motorcycle test in the UK ( Perhaps in the US too? ) for good reason and failing to make a safe swerve will prevent the issuing of a bike driving licence. I practise my swerving regularly because I get rusty without the practise! I've never needed it in anger and hope I never will need it but.....
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-02-2016, 06:14 PM
Seasoned Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JW. View Post
The initial cause of the accident is the failure of the truck driver to properly assess his freedom to make a lane change. He/she appears to not have seen the bikes though there are two of them, and even if the first one was not seen the second one should have been. There is no indication of the lane change given by the truck's indicators which there should have been given the close proximity of the second bike and it is also incumbent on the truck driver to check into the blind spot area before signalling and starting a manoeuvre.
1) The truck's signals are clearly visible, & flashing, indicating his intent to merge into the empty left hand lane.
2) The bikers (both of them) are also clearly signaling, & merging right, at the exact same moment.
3) When the lead bike fails to "check his 6" before reentering the left lane, it's almost the last mistake he ever makes.

Peace, Whiskey.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page