Honda Ridgeline Truck of the Year - Page 2 - GL1800Riders
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 11:23 PM
Seasoned Member

The Ridgeline has been redesigned to look more like a traditional truck for 2017 although I still think it's unibody. It's more inline with the canyon, Nissan Frontier, or Ford Ranger. Not a full size truck but a truck nonetheless.

Others may sell you the sizzle, But Honda will sell you the steak!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017, 09:26 AM
Seasoned Member

The fact that the Ridgeline doesn't have a bed separate from the cab is what makes it not a truck. Would you consider a Cadillac Escalade EXT a truck?

The fact that the Ridgeline is primarily front wheel drive makes it an impractical "truck," unless you're going to haul tissue paper or pillows. The more weight you put in the bed the less traction it gets.

post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017, 09:46 AM
Seasoned Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_S View Post
The fact that the Ridgeline doesn't have a bed separate from the cab is what makes it not a truck. Would you consider a Cadillac Escalade EXT a truck?

The fact that the Ridgeline is primarily front wheel drive makes it an impractical "truck," unless you're going to haul tissue paper or pillows. The more weight you put in the bed the less traction it gets.
To me and at least one dictionary author and perhaps a 300lb dude in boxer shorts with cake crumbs on his chest editing Wikipedia, a truck is a motor vehicle designed to carry cargo.

Escalade, Suburban, Expedition, etc. are not trucks because they are purpose built for passengers and their relatively limited cargo capability is ancillary. However, the "so what?" is pretty tiny there.

Unless you're loading aft of the rear axle, weight in the bed of a pickup will not unweight the front axle. The rear may take a higher proportion of the load, but the front carries some of it too and hence has more traction than when empty.

For hauling tissue paper and pillows, I recommend a box truck or at least great tarp for your Ridgeline truck.

This is my signature block. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

My signature block is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life....

post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017, 11:09 AM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Bird View Post
To me and at least one dictionary author and perhaps a 300lb dude in boxer shorts with cake crumbs on his chest editing Wikipedia, a truck is a motor vehicle designed to carry cargo.

Escalade, Suburban, Expedition, etc. are not trucks because they are purpose built for passengers and their relatively limited cargo capability is ancillary. However, the "so what?" is pretty tiny there.

Unless you're loading aft of the rear axle, weight in the bed of a pickup will not unweight the front axle. The rear may take a higher proportion of the load, but the front carries some of it too and hence has more traction than when empty.

For hauling tissue paper and pillows, I recommend a box truck or at least great tarp for your Ridgeline truck.
I agree, it's sort if like the debates that go on here about what qualifies as a touring bike or a motorcycle. The Ridgeline is not a traditional truck but it falls within 94% of the cargo and towing capacity of other trucks in its class, and it has traction available to all four wheels.
It's also not the first primarily front wheel drive truck and probably provide better traction during the vast majority of time that the truck will not be loaded or towing. In 2 wheel drive my rear wheel drive truck often spins when empty which is more often than not.
My brother had a Cadillac escalade EXTRA (truck) for about eight years, and believe me he used it as a truck and loved it. The Honda Ridgeline is not for me as my needs require a full size truck, but I'm glad to see someone is thinking outside the box and pushing the norm.

BTW Super crew trucks are designed more to accommodate passengers but still retain most of there cargo and towing capacity, and are still considered trucks.

Last edited by WVMANDINGO; 01-13-2017 at 03:31 PM.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017, 06:51 PM
Seasoned Member

I own a 2008 Ridgeline. Best truck truck i have ever owned. 120,000 mile so far with no problems. It will go anywhere i want to go, plus tow what i need it to tow. I have taken it places my son-in-law would not take his full size 4x4 duramax. Plus it pulled that same truck out of a snow bank. I get 18 around town and 23 on the highway. Not great mileage but i'm happy. Going to buy a new one in 80,000 miles
speckfisher likes this.

Charter member of the "GEEZER GLIDERS"
Columbia Missouri
Yellow CSC Cobra Trike
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017, 09:45 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:

A truck comes with a frame. Does the Honda. If not than it's not tough enough for real truck work.
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-14-2017, 09:37 AM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Bird View Post
Well, if ya want to go getting all technical and stuff . . . .

Quote:
That's why I specified the Escalade EXT - it had a bed instead of an enclosed area behind the back seats. They quit making them in about 2013, though. I don't know why - now all the truck makers make a luxury pickup that costs up near the Escalade range.

post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-14-2017, 09:53 AM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVMANDINGO View Post
In 2 wheel drive my rear wheel drive truck often spins when empty which is more often than not.
I agree with that. My Ram Laramie has Auto 4WD as one of its drive options, along with 2WD and the 4WD high and low range. The Auto mode makes it more like all wheel drive, as opposed to 4WD. In wet weather, if I'm not in Auto mode, I can forget pulling out into traffic or otherwise stepping on the gas pedal with more than one toe.

post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-14-2017, 09:54 AM
Seasoned Member

Garage
Yeah, Ed_S, I saw those extra EXT letters a little later and figured you probably did some sneaky stuff in there. I'm not up to snuff on my Escalades. Well played.

This is my signature block. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

My signature block is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life....
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-14-2017, 10:44 AM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
I agree with that. My Ram Laramie has Auto 4WD as one of its drive options, along with 2WD and the 4WD high and low range. The Auto mode makes it more like all wheel drive, as opposed to 4WD. In wet weather, if I'm not in Auto mode, I can forget pulling out into traffic or otherwise stepping on the gas pedal with more than one toe.
Yes my F150 Supercrew has AdvanceTrac but I usually don't need it on that truck, some people think it's just a SUV with a bed anyway. But my GMC single cab with 8' bed that most people consider a truck won't get out of its own way if the roads are wet, I have to put it in 4 wheel drive frequently even in the summer time.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page