Honda Ridgeline Truck of the Year - GL1800Riders
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 06:25 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Honda Ridgeline Truck of the Year

Does anyone know how they classify "Truck"? I do not see how the Ridgeline qualifies for that award. I am NOT bashing the Honda...I own a Honda and I know they have some unique features in the Ridgeline but it is closer to an Accord than it is a Ram/F150/C1500. I'd say the same thing if an El-Camino won TOTY awards?

Congrats to Honda on it's win with the Ridgeline and Civic.

Rob - 08 Pearl White Navi Goldwing

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 06:40 PM
Seasoned Member

My BIL owns one and loves it. He gets real upset when I tell him it's an ugly, city-fied wannabe only driven by guys wearing bell bottoms. Of course, I'm just teasing him to get his goat and it works every time. After he tells me for the umpteenth time about all of its wonderful features I toss him the keys to my Suburban 4 x4 and tell him to load that bad boy in the back and I 'll use it for a spare tire. He gets testy so I take him to Starbucks (a place I never visit on my own) and buy him his "special" drink and he's good to go.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]06 Wing with '11 Roadsmith w/ Accuride System & Aux Fuel, Traxxion Ak-20 forks

'07 ST1300
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 06:54 PM
Seasoned Member

Garage
It sort of the opposite of the rich get richer and the poor get poorer.

Have you seen how large a lady can fit into the new evolved bigger size 6 dresses now? At least according to the labels. And the little bitty "trucks."
speckfisher likes this.

This is my signature block. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

My signature block is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life....

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 11:46 PM
Seasoned Member

Motor Trend TOTY for 2016 Chevrolet Colorado for 2017 Ford F250 Super Duty. So who's truck of the year is it. Honda's?? And no , I don't consider it a truck. If you can't get it with a V8 then it isn't a Truck. If it don't have full frame construction then its not a truck. I M O.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 02:22 AM
Seasoned Member

Says on tv commercial ford f150 motor trend truck of year

WE ALL GOT TO GO SOMETIME .....ALWAYS TO SOON
FL. PROWLER # 62
DOUBLE DARKSIDER "WONKY" DRIVEGUARD REAR
BT 45 FRONT
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 06:33 AM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooter F6B View Post
Motor Trend TOTY for 2016 Chevrolet Colorado for 2017 Ford F250 Super Duty. So who's truck of the year is it. Honda's?? And no , I don't consider it a truck. If you can't get it with a V8 then it isn't a Truck. If it don't have full frame construction then its not a truck. I M O.
Found this........
http://www.freep.com/story/money/car...show/96327558/

Darksider #1358 Michelin Alpin 195/55-16
Watch these, America:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXGLbXXaEgc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CjNBvupzUM
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 11:06 AM
Seasoned Member

I'm looking

I currently drive a 2003 Chevy S-10. I owned a 67 El Camino for 30 years and just sold it last month. I don't really care what category a vehicle is placed in, but if it fits my needs then I'm a buyer. I am strongly considering the Ridgeline because my S-10 could be the biggest piece of junk I have ever owned. (and I drove a Geo Metro for 8 years!) I don't need to pull a horse trailer and don't own a boat. 3 of my kids drive Civics and like the Goldwing, they seem to run forever. That's why I'm considering a Ridgeline. So let's call it the SUV without a 3rd seat of the year!

L.D. Walters
2002 Yellow Goldwing
1977 Orange Corvette
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 11:11 AM
Seasoned Member

Garage
With enough money any manufacturer can claim TOTY but when it comes down to what actually sells...the Ford F- series is the #1 selling truck in America for 40 years in a row.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 02:37 PM
Seasoned Member

It's an interesting marketing game.

F-series is indeed the best selling nameplate. That includes the 1/2 ton F-150.

Many (most?) of those 40 years, GM sold more 1/2 tons than Ford, but it was on 2 nameplates.

Why does GM keep 2 namesplates? One of the reasons is to market the 'oldest nameplate' (GMC). But they always sells more Chev Siverados than GMC Sierras.

The makers usually introduce significant model changes in different years. Often the model that is changed is the one that gets the 'vehicle of the year' for category award. (but not always).

The whole process creates interest and sells magazines -- even if it doesn't sell vehicles, and even if the journalists are wrong.

Motor Trend truck of the year - http://www.motortrend.com/awards/bes...k-of-the-year/

Truck Trend truck of the year - http://www.trucktrend.com/truck-of-the-year/

NAIAS (Detroit Auto show) - http://northamericancaroftheyear.org/

Ridgeline is the 2017 winner at the this years Detroit auto show.
There are numerous news articles, as well as the NAIAS link above.
eg: http://alabamanewscenter.com/2017/01...he-year-award/
Big_Bear likes this.

Farmguy - 14 ABS Candy Red
Farmgal - 14 ABS Candy Red

post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 03:34 PM
Seasoned Member

Garage
I had a Ridgeline for a number of years. Other than a change in external sheet metal it hasn't changed very much since first introduced. On the plus side of the equation I'd say that it is an excellent urban assault vehicle. Most folks who buy trucks these days don't much use them as the pick-up trucks that I grew up with on a farm. So for someone who is a weekend warrior the Ridgeline is an excellent choice. I found it's 4WD capabilities to be outstanding on anything from the highway to logging roads. However, for any serious off road travel, not so good, the suspension travel just isn't there. Loved the dual function tailgate and the "trunk" below the bed of the truck. Other than being just incredibly ugly my only complaints were: 1.) Fuel Economy, which around town was 15 or less. On the Highway maybe 18/19. Given the just OK power output of the engine, this is not real impressive. 2.) Drivers leg room. I'm 6'0" with 32" inseam and with the seat all the way pushed back, another inch would have made things much better. The way the floor is shaped (sheet metal stamping) there's no changing things and the "new" Ridgeline has the same uni-body floor design. I presently have a Jeep Grand Cherokee 4WD with the 3.6L V6. Close to 60,000 miles on it now and couldn't be happier. I'd buy another Grand Cherokee in a heartbeat . . . if I needed to, which I don't. FWIW getting 18 MPG around town and over 26 MPG on the highway. Plenty of power and an extremely comfortable driver.

Current Bikes:
* 2015 Harley-Davidson Ultra Limited
* 2013 Honda Goldwing Air Bag

* 1971 Triumph Bonneville

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page