Computer Question - GL1800Riders
 20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 01:09 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Computer Question

Question for all you computer knowledgeable folks. I just purchased a new computer and its been a long time since I have kept up with the latest & greatest software for virus protection etc. Opinions greatly appreciated.

Paul... Vietnam Vet, 65/66/67, We're not here for a long time, just a good time!, '04 Durango Red 55,500 smiles, '01 Illusion Red, 167,500 smiles-Sold 01/27/2011, Kwik Kamp Trailer, Patriot Guard Rider,
Central CA.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 01:28 PM
Resident BBQ Expert

The very first thing I do is remove Norton and Mac Afee from a new computer
I like to use Windows Defender, and also use AdBlock Plus to keep crap off the screen
Both are free, and both work well for me

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 01:47 PM
Seasoned Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAWing View Post
Question for all you computer knowledgeable folks. I just purchased a new computer and its been a long time since I have kept up with the latest & greatest software for virus protection etc. Opinions greatly appreciated.
I take it you bought a Windows machine?

I been getting by nicely with a cheap tablet, an even cheaper Chromebook, and a not so cheap smartphone. I use the GF's Mac, once or twice a year for printing. You can run a printer on Android and Chromebooks, I just don't print enough to justify owning a printer. If you have to run some heavy software like CAD/CAM or you want to get into gaming, then you have to go PC. For just browsing the net, which is 99.999% what I do anymore with a computer, Android or a Chromebook is tough to beat. With Android and the Chromebook all the antivirus is built in and updates automatically. I recommended to my GF's dad to get a $200 Chromebook and he absolutely loves it.

Maybe with Windows 10 they finally have a decent standalone antivirus. I was always battling a virus, it sucked. I haven't owned a PC since Windows XP, and I never looked back.

Anyways, I'm curious what people come up for you.
CAWing and jlbc212 like this.

-Don
"Simple is as simple does."

DS#788

Current inventory-

2008 GL1800P- Challenger Brown Metallic
2013 Victory Vision Tour- Solid Black
2012 Kawasaki ZX-14R- Metallic Spark Black
2002 Kawasaki KZ1000p(olice)- Black/White

Links-

Walrus crumbs-http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...3fXcRKf8f5YLSy

Victory Vision forum-http://gl1800riders.com/forums/74-wi...-new-bike.html

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 04:23 PM
Contributing Member

As Loren said, get rid of any "trial" versions that are pre-installed on the machine (McAfee, Norton Semantec, etc.). I've used Avast anti-virus for years on multiple machines (it's free) and I've never had a virus get through. Also, get MalwareBytes. Great for blocking malware which most anti-virus software wont catch.
CAWing likes this.

Martin
'15 HD Road Glide Special
'08 GL1800 Level 3 ABS
'08 Bushtec Quantum GL
'04 GL1800 (consumed by fire)
'02 GL1800 (totaled)

NJ SCRC State Officer
NW NJ
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 05:19 PM
Seasoned Member

Check with your internet service provider. Almost all of them provide free virus protection software as it is in their best interest. Cheaper for them to provide the anti-virus program than to have to deal with irate customers who have gotten a virus from their ISP. Doesn't mean you won't get one, but it helps.

My provider uses Norton, and we haven't had any issues.
CAWing likes this.

Double Darksider #847
IBA #54767 BB1500+
Patriot Guard
Who I was yesterday is but a past memory, who I will be tomorrow is in the future. Who I am now and the type of person I am to others, that is what is important now.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 05:34 PM
Seasoned Member

Windows 10 comes with Windows Defender. Windows Defender is very good but may be off if another virus program is installed. You can simply uninstall the other anti virus and turn on Defender.

Single click on the start menu and click on the setting icon and then to updates and security or you can just say or type "Open Windows Defender" in Cortana. Cortana is the address bar right beside the start menu button. Windows Defender will open. It will then update and you're good. BTW, Windows 10 is excellent in Desktop and Tablet mode is you have a touch screen.

Rob - 08 Pearl White Navi Goldwing

Last edited by Bucfan11; 02-16-2017 at 05:28 PM.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 01:16 PM
Seasoned Member

Garage
I agree with using Windows Defender.
CAWing likes this.

2006 ABS Gold (Built in U.S.A.), Full Mega Mondo Monte, Lots of extras! (3/25/2006) - PROGRESSIVIZED - Full Monte (Wing Ding 29) -WingSoft Large Complete Seat Modification, Full Mega Mondo Mega Plus Mega Monte.
Gold: The color with the most muscle! (Muscle and Fitness Magazine, June 2006, page 48 )

Fred Harmon's DVDs: The best and only DVDs you'll ever need for maintaining a GL1800
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 03:12 PM
Seasoned Member

Garage
I uses Sophos home. It free and works extremely well
CAWing and kwthom like this.

2002 GL1800 Stream Silver
AMA Charter Life Member #344314
Member The Backroom Executives Motorcycle Club Inc.

I am not totally useless. I can always serve as a BAD EXAMPLE
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 04:38 PM
Contributing Member

I took the free W10 upgrade on all my computers when it was offered. Windows Defender is good, albeit "resource intensive" when updating. In fact, for a few evenings after you first activate a W10 unit be prepared for Defender and all of the supported programs to be downloading updates and patches - the usual Windows rituals.

Between my wife and I, we work with 3 windows based desktops and a laptop. In addition to Defender we have Malwarebytes on all of them. There is a free version of Malwarebytes that you can run manually. The premium version has automated features that are nice.
CAWing likes this.

NRA Life Member because ... "Tyranny cannot be safe without a standing army, an enslaved press, and a disarmed populace." -James Madison
Motorcycles: '01 GL1800; 2014 DL650 Adventure; gone away already: 5 BMW's, 4 Honda's, 2 Suzuki's
------------
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -Marcus Aurelius

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 04:41 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by loren View Post
The very first thing I do is remove Norton and Mac Afee from a new computer
I like to use Windows Defender, and also use AdBlock Plus to keep crap off the screen
Both are free, and both work well for me
Agreed on all the above.

CAWing, you will need to visit the Norton and McAfee resource sites to download their removal tools.

Google for -

Norton Removal Tool

McAfee Removal Tool

The removal resources will clean all of the Norton and McAfee products off of your computer, freeing up disk space and resource space in memory.
CAWing likes this.

NRA Life Member because ... "Tyranny cannot be safe without a standing army, an enslaved press, and a disarmed populace." -James Madison
Motorcycles: '01 GL1800; 2014 DL650 Adventure; gone away already: 5 BMW's, 4 Honda's, 2 Suzuki's
------------
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -Marcus Aurelius

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page