Harbor frt. Law suit - Page 2 - GL1800Riders
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 10:53 PM
Seasoned Member

Remember the old saying, 'you get what you pay for'... I've been very selective, happy with some, not happy with others...
Steve F likes this.

2006 Red ABS
"Traveling in a car is like watching a film...Riding a Goldwing is like starring in it."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 04:53 AM
Seasoned Member

Just another bunch of lawyers trying to make a buck, and 'class action' cases are where the money is.

Brother Mike - 2012 GW w/MotorTrike Razor
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 05:00 AM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wehrme View Post
Just another bunch of lawyers trying to make a buck, and 'class action' cases are where the money is.

GL1800A Interceptor Illusion Red
Florida Prowler #100
IBA#64117
www.facebook.com/Bobbysokcorral

"Freedom is the length of the chain between a stake in the ground and reality"

post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 08:58 AM
Seasoned Member

[Garrett Morris voice]Harbor Freight been very very good to me.[/Garrett Morris voice]

Sheepishly in Christ,
Mike

"Why do I bother to pester you with these disturbing truths? Because the One whose disciple I am taught that we are set free by facing hard truths, not by hiding in comfortable lies."
Brian Zahand

Darksider International #51
2003 Silver GL1800 - SOLD
2010 Metallic Red Level 3

post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 09:10 AM
Seasoned Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by loren View Post
That is the very problem, HF lies to people saying their $12 product was worth $80, and your getting a great deal, where in fact it never sold for more than $12. They are claiming their cheap stuff is the same value as a Snap on tool, or similar top tier product

This is purely fraud, there have been numerous chains get a law suit for the same deceptive practices.

It also hurts other honest stores that do not resort to these false claims.
I've always wondered about this.

Comparing a HF impact hammer to a snap on is truly a stretch. I mean, OK, maybe a harbor freight to husky....yea that's a closer gap. I'd like to see someone do an endurance test between the two. I'm certain it would show the truth.

Rain Rain Go Away,
So I can ride another day.
Remember when sex was safe, and motorcycles were dangerous?

Current Bikes:
2006 Kawasaki Concours///COG#:11628
2006 Honda Goldwing 1800///GWRRA#:398646
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 10:03 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by loren View Post
That is the very problem, HF lies to people saying their $12 product was worth $80, and your getting a great deal, where in fact it never sold for more than $12. They are claiming their cheap stuff is the same value as a Snap on tool, or similar top tier product

This is purely fraud, there have been numerous chains get a law suit for the same deceptive practices.
Not sure if it is "fraud". First, if anyone believes that a HF tool is of the same quality as a Snap-on, MAC, Matco, etc, then they fall into the "there's a fool born every minute" club. A HF tool may be in fact, "the same value" as a Snap On, that is not the same as "same quality". If you are going to use a tool once a year, the HF tool is a BETTER value than a Snap On. You can't equate "value" with "quality", two very different sets of criteria. I have a Craftsman motorcycle lift. I use it once a year, it is a very good value to me. Is it of the same quality as a Pitbull, Kendon or Greg Smith? Absolutely not, but it is a better "value" to me.

I think that is why Harbor Freight is not doing anything wrong nor at fault. I personally don't own, any of their stuff except for a set of "dental picks" and some plastic spring clamps.

As far as a class action law suit? Too many lawyers in this world.........
Steve F likes this.

post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 02:05 PM
Seasoned Member

It's not just Harbor Freight. Sears, JCPenny, Kohl's, and Macy's are also being sued. You would have to be some special kind of dumbaxx to not know that this has been going on for 50 years or more. Fits right in with the "Going out of business" sales. Here's a link to the other store's lawsuits.

https://consumerist.com/2016/12/08/l...n-sale-prices/

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

'08 GL1800 '06 ST1300. DS1630
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 10:08 PM
Seasoned Member

The problem is too many people walk into a HF store and see a bunch of wrenches that they think look just like Snap On etc and buy them thinking their being a smart buyer. Their actually fools thats not smart enough to tell the difference between high grade quality and cheap quality. Then as it is in this day and age where its always someone elses fault, they sue the store because they sold them a $12 dollar wrench that has chrome on it just like the $80 wrench does. I refuse to feel sorry for anyone that buys tools without knowing what it is they bought.
Ira02gw likes this.

2010 Gold Wing 1970 HP383 'Cuda 2012 Harley FatBoy
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-22-2017, 03:32 AM
Seasoned Member

In most cases you get what you pay for. If you think a $12 tool is as good as an $80 tool then you aren't too bright. Will it do the job? Maybe. Will it do the job as good and last as long as the $80 tool?? No. It may be good enough though for your intended purposes. Buyer Beware. Frivolous lawsuit in my opinion. The store has a niche. I shop there on occasion.
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-22-2017, 02:05 PM
Seasoned Member

The $12 tool might not be as good as the $80 tool, but I think quite a few of the $29 tools are. Part of what makes the $80 tool cost $80 is that fancy warranty and the truck the snap-on dealer drives, etc

Back when Sears was doing Craftsman tools I wanted a set of them flex head, ratcheting box end combination wrenches. Sears wanted over $100 for the Craftsman version with the walk in and plop it on the counter warranty. Then had a GearWrench version ( ?? I think that's it ) for $80 and the sales person told me it was basically the same and had lifetime warranty, but you need to keep receipt, mail it in, wait for refund if your lucky enough. HF had a set that was $30 that looks and feels every bit as good as the GearWrench Sears was selling. I have a set of each. And holding them side by side you cannot tell the different other than the MFG name on them. -- Yeah not all are like that. You have to be selective. But at the same time many of them $80 tools cost is not in the quality. Its factoring in the service and convenience. For a professional mechanic at a shop that might be worth it. For weekend warriors, there are options that are just as good and costs a lot less.

2005 GL1800ABS 60,000mi
2003 ZG1000 131,000mi
IBA 28004
Darkside #1707

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page