Quadcopter demo - GL1800Riders
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 12:50 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Garage
Quadcopter demo

A while back I purchased a DJI Phantom to use in video recording regarding motorcycle related promotions. Naturally some learning and practice is involved. I am starting to get the hang of things and have run several "missions" using the litchi app. Here is one of my home and neighborhood which I call the perfect world due to the music and I like my area a lot. 2nd video is town where I grew up, 9 miles away. Now that the weather is improving and trees are greening up I will do some follow me flights and see how it performs in that regard.

BTW yes I have crashed it four or five times so far, It's a tough unit.

"Take the right turn"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 04:41 PM
Contributing Member

Unless you can use them for business etc, I've never figured out why people buy them.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 04:57 PM
10 year Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spummerr View Post
Unless you can use them for business etc, I've never figured out why people buy them.
Hummm, maybe because their FUN to fly???

I have one and it is the single most fun R/C device I have ever owned, you can become proficient after a few flights.... you should get one, then you would know why people are buying them

mattbcnv
ChgoD and Steve F like this.

2007 Black Cherry Airbag*
2008 Black Cherry Motortrike
*Traxxion~Mega
LIMNCS #74
DS #925
“Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” -John Wayne
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 05:15 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt(BCNV) View Post
Hummm, maybe because their FUN to fly???

I have one and it is the single most fun R/C device I have ever owned, you can become proficient after a few flights.... you should get one, then you would know why people are buying them

mattbcnv
Once you learn to fly them they are a ton of fun. The newer bigger ones are easier to fly. Gyro stabilized, GPS auto return. They can do what a few years ago one would need a half-million dollar (or more) helicopter with a gyro-stabilized hi-def camera to get.

And its a safe way to see if you gutters need cleaning.

Such a fun high-tech device for relatively little money that it is hard not to buy one.

2007 Comfort/Nav/ABS

Prior:
1993 ST1100
1983 CX650

I'll go totally green and give up my GoldWing when Al Gore gives up his charter jet.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 07:14 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Garage
It is fun and mine has gps return to home and with the litchi app I can program all sorts of automatic flight paths and operations.
My neighbor is going to have me video their son's wedding in August and I plan on a couple runs down some trout streams to see where the pools and runs are. It's amazing the uses one can find for these things. BTW all those cool movie videos you now see that appear to be done by helicopter? No they are all done with these small quads. The DMV is using them for bridge inspections and the power companies for highline inspections.

But the main thing is doing riding videos mostly out on the backroads and things like that. I guess it's a bit like fishing or golf, if it doesn't interest you then it seems dumb. I do all those things so perhaps you are right

"Take the right turn"

Last edited by triplay; 04-21-2017 at 07:17 PM.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 08:33 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by triplay View Post
It is fun and mine has gps return to home and with the litchi app I can program all sorts of automatic flight paths and operations.
My neighbor is going to have me video their son's wedding in August and I plan on a couple runs down some trout streams to see where the pools and runs are. It's amazing the uses one can find for these things. BTW all those cool movie videos you now see that appear to be done by helicopter? No they are all done with these small quads. The DMV is using them for bridge inspections and the power companies for highline inspections.

But the main thing is doing riding videos mostly out on the backroads and things like that. I guess it's a bit like fishing or golf, if it doesn't interest you then it seems dumb. I do all those things so perhaps you are right

My son-in-law has the Phantom that you have. Carries it in his vehicle everywhere he goes. He bought it to augment his photo shoots of weddings , but hasn't used it for that since he found out the FAA requires a license if you use it for commercial business purposes.

I would suggest using a bit of caution before flying that drone anywhere you know that Bald Eagles are claiming the air space. At least I have read reports and seen a few attack videos....the bird usually wins. Also purchase a few extra spare props to carry in the drone case....my son-in-law has broken a few and it's not a show stopper when you have the extras on hand for repairs.

Allen

Michelin PA3 ZP Runflat 17,100 miles
Yokohama Avid ENVigor
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 08:40 PM
Seasoned Member

Was done in the Keys in March and someone was flying one off the end of the dock jutting out into the Gulf of Mexico. It was a really windy day and he lost control of it, crashing it into the Gulf right off the dock. He retrieved it, but I can't help but think the salt water had to cause some damage. He walked away with the thing draining water!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 09:22 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Garage
yes you are right Allen and I have a commercial registration but have decided to bypass the 107 license until the laws are corrected.

Crashing into water even salt is not the end as they can be cleaned and dried the put right back in service. I guess the expect this to happen. I guess my concern would be the camera as mine has the sd card in the camera. I stay grounded in windy weather.

I took mine to Mexico last month and walked right on through customs without a blink. That surprised me.

"Take the right turn"
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-22-2017, 05:38 PM
Seasoned Member

It is a fun hobby. I bought the DJI Mavic and have been flying around the desert near my house. I was a Marine F-4 RIO (backseat in the F-4J) back in the early 70's and I think this little drone has more features and options than we had in the F-4.
Here is my only posted video.

david vaughn likes this.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-22-2017, 07:02 PM
Seasoned Member

Got a toy drone a couple of months ago, a Syma 8XC for $58. Learned how to fly it and have become a very good flyer. Had some crashes at first but now there isn't anything I can't do with it, a real confidence builder. It has none of that fancy stuff, just pure manual mode and is a whole lot of fun to fly.

Now that I'm a competent drone pilot I've ordered a Phantom 3, which will be here next week. I've seen guys buy these things and put them on auto and go flying. Then something goes wrong and they don't have the flying skill to get their drone out of trouble. I would recommend getting a cheap toy drone, like the Syma, and learn to fly it before getting a serious drone.

One other thing I did, to stay out of legal trouble, was to pay $5 to the FAA to register my drones. That's the one thing they can burn you on that will cost you some bucks.

2011 Harley Ultra Limited
2008 Honda Goldwing ABS

Last edited by wing-renter; 04-22-2017 at 07:16 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page