GL1800 windshield removal / installation - Page 2 - GL1800Riders
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 82 (permalink) Old 06-28-2009, 09:46 PM
Seasoned Member

Read all the posts and went and did it. Took about 10 minutes with cleaning and everything. This baby is really nice to work on compared to my sportbikes.

USAF (Ret) in OKC
2008 GL1800 Titanium
Darksider #398
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 82 (permalink) Old 06-28-2009, 09:51 PM
Seasoned Member

Best tip I got was when you get the mirrors turned back stuff some rags down in the bottomless pit holes you see. Sure enough fat fingers like mine dropped the small screws and there they were waiting for me to pick up and try again. Without the rags you will hear it trickle down into the front of the bike( WHO KNOWS WHERE)

06 Cabernet-2007 Aluma
SSSSSSSLLLLLLLLLOOOOOOOOOOOOOW
post #13 of 82 (permalink) Old 07-07-2009, 01:18 PM
Seasoned Member

Thanks!

Thanks for the post. It helped me install my new Cee Baileys sport windshield.

Steve

post #14 of 82 (permalink) Old 07-07-2009, 07:00 PM
Seasoned Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowJoe View Post
Best tip I got was when you get the mirrors turned back stuff some rags down in the bottomless pit holes you see. Sure enough fat fingers like mine dropped the small screws and there they were waiting for me to pick up and try again. Without the rags you will hear it trickle down into the front of the bike( WHO KNOWS WHERE)

EXACTLY RIGHT Slow Joe

The 10mm nut in the mirror areas is easy to drop into "The Abyss". I found using my Sears magnetic pickup up while unscrewing these by hand lets me grab them before they fall.

2006 Wing
2007 Tailwind XTc
RAT Pack 2013
IBA 55350
DS 350
post #15 of 82 (permalink) Old 07-07-2009, 07:18 PM
Seasoned Member

Great instructions, thanks!

Poor bee though, I may have to call peta....

Tim - awaiting work relo to GA, 2010
2001 - Black TE
Good things cometh to those who waiteth, so long as those who waiteth, worketh while they waiteth.
post #16 of 82 (permalink) Old 07-08-2009, 10:08 PM
Seasoned Member

Thank you from here as well. Great help and very appreciated.
post #17 of 82 (permalink) Old 08-29-2009, 03:32 PM
Seasoned Member

We haven't even taken ownership of our 06 yet (soon), but this is one of the first projects I expect to need to do. I greatly appreciate the link on how to do this! Any thought on aftermarket shields? Considering the +2 with a Laminar type lip. Have not had time to look into which make just yet.

Any suggestions on replacement parts on any of the following, feel free to PM me!

Expecting to install new tires immediately (3 dealers said to use the Dunlap Elite 3's), a half cover (not sure which one yet - Nelson Riggs, the Wingstuff.com one, or the Kuryakyn), and having a mechanic test ride the bike to check the trans. It jumped in and out of either 4th or 5th at about 50 mph. We only had about 20 minutes to test ride the bike before it started to rain.

I came home and started looking up the issues I had found even before we agree to buy the bike in the short time I had to look it over. I did not feel really great knowing Honda had so many transmission problems with the 06.

Anyone know of a shifter extension? BMW makes a nice one, but I think the rubber on the shifter on the GW is considerably larger diameter than the BMW.

Still having a hard time believing Honda has been aware of the bar shake and tire cupping as well on so many of these GW's for so long and continued to make the bike the same way. Our local dealer said he has seen people try just about every after market product to stop the shake, and nothing has worked well or been worth the money and time. Any thoughts on that?

After leaving 2) BMW's behind due to all kinds of expensive repair problems in our short time of owing them, I had hoped not to have any issues with a GW of on 7k miles.

Thanks!
post #18 of 82 (permalink) Old 10-17-2009, 02:24 PM
Seasoned Member

Great info. I made the mistake of removing the wrong bolts from the garnish. I actually disconnected the garnish from the assembly. I just assembled that part before I put it back on the bike. Piece of cake job. Took me about 30 minutes taking my time and making unnecessary mistakes. I actually put the new shield on before I remembered I needed to replace the tape under the shield. I can't believe I put this off for so long!

Costa Mesa, CA
2012 Red level 3
post #19 of 82 (permalink) Old 10-17-2009, 02:26 PM
Seasoned Member

Good post. I never remove my mirrors for this -- just not necessary.

Be sure to stuff the rag down in the open hole in the fairing before you remove the nut behind the mirrors -- very important as they will fall into the abyss.
post #20 of 82 (permalink) Old 10-17-2009, 03:39 PM
Seasoned Member

The GL1800 windscreen is easy to r & r compared to some but an absolute bear in comparison with BMW RTs and LTs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtsandbagger View Post
Read all the posts and went and did it. Took about 10 minutes with cleaning and everything. This baby is really nice to work on compared to my sportbikes.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page