Anti- dive fix for the 1800's - GL1800Riders

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-30-2009, 08:32 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Anti- dive fix for the 1800's

I take no credit for this article, I found it.

Scroll down for pics.

In the past I have had a problems with the anti dive system on my GL1800’s, until I fixed them.
The history
I have two medium mileage GL1800’s (2003) one for me and one for my wife, both bikes have suffered with an anti dive problem. The brakes operate a slave cylinder that activates an anti dive actuating valve on the left hand side of the front forks, this slave cylinder only functions when the bike is moving. The slave cylinder has been changed twice on one bike and once on the other leaving me to believe that GL1800’s suffer with this problem. I have ridden many other 1800 wings and least two of them had the same problem but the owners were unaware anything was wrong until they rode my bike! My bikes are regularly serviced and the brakes have had the brake fluid replaced twice to date.

The symptoms :

While riding along normally the bike rides wonderfully smooth until I had to slow down or stop. The anti dive valve stays on until it decides to relax; during this time the front end of the bike becomes skittish at very low speeds or while cornering. The problem is also evident while negotiating speed humps in the road, I always slow as I approach them and then release the brakes before I make contact with them, but the suspension remains firm and seems to bounce over the speed hump. The result is that the suspension can finish up almost fully extended after crossing a series of speed humps. I once stopped after crossing one of these speed humps and put the bike on its side stand and waited almost 10 minutes for the front forks to relax back to the normal position.
On the third time this started to happen I (being an engineer) decided to take a look for myself.

The Fix:

The brake slave cylinder is the problem, it forces a 5mm pin into the anti dive actuator to lock up the left fork during braking. This slave cylinder is supposed to return upon releasing the brake lever but it doesn’t always behave as it should, it can take some time to return to its resting position. I took it upon myself to effect a fix that works better than ever and has been working well for the past year. My fix was to fit a small rubber 'O' ring over the pin and remount the slave cylinder to its rightful place, that’s it!

Method 1:
The rubber ‘O’ ring is 2.5mm(0.098”) in section x 5mm(0.196”) bore and 10mm (0.393”)O/D made of black silicone rubber, it sits in a void between the slave cylinder and the anti dive actuator. It doesn’t impede anything or prevent anything working it just helps the plunger to return to its rightful position.
To get at both the slave cylinder and the anti dive actuator is simple… first, remove the top front portion of the mudguard (top front fender) by unscrewing the four recessed (5mm) socket screws. This brings the two units into view on the front of the lower left fork leg, There are two (4mm) socket screws, one each side of the slave cylinder. Undo these… (don’t worry the two items can be separated and there should be no leaks, springs or nasty surprises) and insert the ‘O’ ring, checking first that your ‘O’ ring fits comfortably, without friction, over the 5mm pin on the slave cylinder and in the 10mm recess in the top of the anti dive actuator.

Method 2:
You can use two ‘O’ rings instead of the one.(above) The first ‘O’ ring dimension - 1.8mm (0.070”)in section x 5mm (0.196”) bore x 8.5mm(0.334”) O/D and theSecond ’O’ ring dimension - 1.8mm(0.070”) in section x 6mm(0.236”) bore x 10mm(0.393”) O/D, both black silicone rubber. The smallest ‘O’ ring sits on the 5mm pin without friction and the larger ‘O’ ring sits in the recess on top of the anti dive actuator, one on top of the other when assembled. Note: when putting the two units back together be sure the ‘O’ rings are still in place. This gives a slightly slower anti dive reaction under very light braking. I favor this fix.

You can, if you’re daft enough, (yep that’s me) ride the bike with the two units separated!!! but the bike will dive every time you use the brakes.

WARNING
. If you try to fill the void between the two units with rubber the anti dive becomes next to useless. If your bike is still under warranty let Honda sort it. If you have found a leak of any kind from either unit STOP what you’re doing and inform your service centre.

Happy riding

Photos and their descriptions

Here are the pictures I hope they are useful Below is a description of each picture

The front mudguard (fender) removed 4x5mm socket screws

Using a 4mm Allen key to detach slave cylinder

The slave cylinder detached and not leaking

The top of the anti dive actuator showing the recess

The two rings I use are still in good working order and the only two tool required for the job

The largest silicone ring in the recess

The smallest ring over the 5mm pin - indicated by a screwdriver

Care taken to place the two items together

Securing the slave cylinder into place using the 4mm Allen key

Replacing the front mudguard (fender) using the 5mm Allen key

2013 Ducati 1199 Panigale S Tricolore

06 Wing ABS, Dark Red, Fully Traxxionized
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-30-2009, 04:38 PM
Contributing Member

Torque value?

Thanks for the post Wingone. As a new (to Wings) rider, and one who also does much of my own work on my bikes, I have to ask. Is there a torque value for the anti-dive allen bolt?

Warmest regards,

Doc Reid
08 BMW R1200GS w/ABS
www.drinkerscheckup.com
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-30-2009, 05:36 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindofblue View Post
Thanks for the post Wingone. As a new (to Wings) rider, and one who also does much of my own work on my bikes, I have to ask. Is there a torque value for the anti-dive allen bolt?
According to the Honda service manual, torque value for the "Anti-Dive Plunger Case Bolt" is

N-m (Kgf-m,lbf-ft)
3.9 (0.40, 2.9)

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-30-2009, 09:55 PM
AK Oldman

I like this better than the disable fix.
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-01-2009, 06:26 AM
Seasoned Member

"If your bike is still under warranty let Honda sort it."

Good luck with that.

Love 'em all... Let GOD sort 'em out!"
LIMNCS #632 DS#1085 Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3 ZP #19
Trialsman Seminar Videos
Swapping the Rear Wheel by Laying Her Down (youtube)
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-01-2009, 06:46 AM
Seasoned Member

I fix things for a living, from plumbing to a bike for a friend, but no living off fixing bike, other than a good time, a beer or two and some nonsense.

Problem with an O,ring under steady and repetive compression is it does take a set and will not continue to function. It is designed to be a seal and that is about it. Some will not withstand oil, or brake fluid, so you do have to pick those that will, others will not take the sunlight and quickly crack and deteriorate.

I have the perfect fix, a member on this site told me about using two little washers under and between the two halves of the anti dive gadget.

So I trotted off to Napa and got two small copper washers that will just fit between the two halves of the thing, naturally this leaves a gap so water and dirt can enter........so I placed an O ring around the top section, one that just fits, so now when the sections are bolted back together the o ring does compress enough to seal out the weather, but the washers do not allow it to compess too far, so now you have a good secure fix , with a weather seal.

This really does take most of the harshness out of the front end, not all of it, but a good majority of it. Makes a nice ride actually.

Does not totally disable it either, front will dive about 3/4 or an inch or so during an emergency stop and then the gadget works as it should.

This also takes the constant stress and tear off the left fork and the seals. And if you do choose to carefully use the front brake in a rough curve....not that you should, but sometimes it is cool......no more crowhopping around the corner.

Best .27 cent fix I have ever seen.

Kit

Oh the fellow who asked about what is the proper torque on the two allen head bolts.......well just secure, do not sweat the small stuff.....as a rule of thumb with any allen head bolt, small like that, I use a standard allen wrench.....no not a T handle that you can strip heads out with, just a regular allen, and when you see the shank of the allen just start to flex.....that is enough.
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-01-2009, 07:08 AM
Seasoned Member

anti dive

Best fix I have seen is using a home made piece of gasket material instead of the washers. You get the same result without worrying about allowing in dirt and water. You can use several thin ones and experiment with "tuning" for the ride you want. I'm going to try this method. Quick, cheap, easy.............ME !

01 1800 / Yellow ( fastest color ) safety chrome[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Dunlop 3000GS 195x55x16 RF 32lb, Kuhmo RF 195/55/16 2nd bmt, Perelli RF 195/55/16,Michelin Alpine RF, centramatics

DS # 510

Does this tire make my butt look fat?
May You always put your kickstand down as many times as you put it up!

Most of my life, I drank beer, rode bikes, and chased women..........the rest of it I wasted! ! !
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-01-2009, 07:36 AM
Banned

"this slave cylinder only functions when the bike is moving."

Huh?????????? Works whenever you activate the brakes, I thought, moving or not, right?
Maybe mine is the odd ball, but no problems so far. Not sure why the anti-dive is being rendered inop? It should not effect the ride at all unless the brakes are activated??
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-01-2009, 09:29 AM
Contributing Member

Thanks Walter & Kit.

Warmest regards,

Doc Reid
08 BMW R1200GS w/ABS
www.drinkerscheckup.com
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-01-2009, 09:35 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

You're welcome,.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page