Easy Alternator Change - Page 10 - GL1800Riders
 16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #91 of 97 (permalink) Old 02-18-2017, 01:58 PM

I may rebuild it myself, but in the interest of time, i need on to keep riding.

====================================
--> Freedom wasn't won with a registered gun.
--> "When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are safe." -Luke 11:21
--> 5 out of 4 people have trouble with fractions.
--> Ever stop think...and forget to start again?
--> On the OTHER hand...There are 5 more fingers.
Iron Butt Saddle Sore - June, 2015
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
The journey isn't as much about the final destination as the road that takes you there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 97 (permalink) Old 02-18-2017, 02:02 PM

Thank you..i tried shoving a screwdriver and a socket under it, but did not work well.

--> "When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are safe." -Luke 11:21
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
The journey isn't as much about the final destination as the road that takes you there.
post #93 of 97 (permalink) Old 02-18-2017, 07:34 PM
Seasoned Member

Nice to know Larry. Shouldn't you replace everything that is associated with the alternator such as the voltage regulator or does it all come brand new. I heard the new alternators are now made in China so i don't know which way to go. I have an 08 which i turned 137,000 on today and have no problems. Most people I talk to is to just ride it until it quits or your lights start to dim. I always make sure its not the battery. What are the tell tell signs that your alternator is not working other than running down the battery. I am going to try and get 200,000 miles out of my orginal.
Weege likes this.

post #94 of 97 (permalink) Old 02-19-2017, 06:56 AM
Seasoned Member

The Goldwing alternator is essentially an automotive alternator. The entire charging system is self contained within the alternator housing, including the rectifier pack and regulator.

If your alternator stops charging, the generic engine warning light will come on, just like in a car. Honda labels it FI, as in Fault Indicator.

Larry
2002 Illusion Blue GL1800

Last edited by LarryM; 02-19-2017 at 06:59 AM.
post #95 of 97 (permalink) Old 02-19-2017, 09:20 AM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadiam View Post
Interestingly enough, I just took out the alternator on my '06 last night using that exact method. "Great minds think alike". The hardest part I had was to get the bottom bolt out due to the hose and overflow fill. I could just barely get a socket in place to get to the bolt. Any suggestions?

The reason I took it out is that I noticed a bit of an irregular rattle (kind of) when the bike was cold/warming up and idling. I got very determined last night to find the source, and after poking around and listening with a steel rod, I found the sound was coming from the alternator. I could even feel the alternator shake and vibrate while running. Listening to the areas around it, including the mounting area, I could not hear anything, so I am hoping that it is not the ADG. The closer to the end with the brushes I listened, the louder the noise was, and the easier I could feel the rattle. When I got it out, the splines looked like new.

I am starting with a new alternator before I spend the $$$ for an ADG. Does anyone have any suggestions on the type of alternator to buy? I HATE spending $800+ on an OEM. I can get a CompuFire for $300 less. Worked great on my 1500.
This vid is my previous bike and what it sounded like with the ADG gone bad. This discovery made for a sad day!

2008 gl1800 black abs, comfort pkg., nav, cb.
Kuryakyn centrefold (not my idea).

motorcyclist not a biker.
post #96 of 97 (permalink) Old 02-19-2017, 04:13 PM

I'm sorry...sounds nasty. Mine is not like that all. Thinking a new alternator will fix it. My sound is so quiet that when I first heard it (after leaving a mechanic for fixing a different issue), he could not really hear it.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #97 of 97 (permalink) Old 02-20-2017, 06:13 AM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadiam View Post
I'm sorry...sounds nasty. Mine is not like that all. Thinking a new alternator will fix it. My sound is so quiet that when I first heard it (after leaving a mechanic for fixing a different issue), he could not really hear it.
Remember the old adage "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" .

2008 gl1800 black abs, comfort pkg., nav, cb.
Kuryakyn centrefold (not my idea).

motorcyclist not a biker.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page