$5 Doran sensor DIY battery replacement - Page 2 - GL1800Riders
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-01-2015, 12:03 AM
Seasoned Member

Very interesting thread. I enjoy reading and hearing about the adventures of folks who have both the patience and the expertise to do something like this to save a few bucks. Personally, I have neither. I'll be one of those guys who continues to order new sensors from Doran, and just screws them on. BTW, in speaking with the staff at Doran, they told me to consider wiring my TPMS to the ignition, or to install a kill switch, rather than leaving it "hot-wired" and constantly on, as I had been doing, to lengthen battery life in the sensors. This I have done. We'll see.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-01-2015, 01:04 AM
Seasoned Member

Excellent write up - both the text and the pictures.

Now, I am an Electronics Tech by trade, and can tell you that the plastic liner you took out, is indeed an insulator to prevent the battery from contacting any of the circuits below.

were it me, I would install a new plastic insulator that does not have any damage to it at all.
The one you showed, has some damage to it.... and I am 99% positive that the battery shorted to something on the circuit board and fried it AFTER you put it all back together.

Live an learn, but a **** of a good project and thank you for showing us it can be done.

I have always thought there "should be a way".... and there is.
post #13 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-02-2015, 01:13 AM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlothery View Post
... in speaking with the staff at Doran, they told me to consider wiring my TPMS to the ignition, or to install a kill switch, rather than leaving it "hot-wired" and constantly on, as I had been doing, to lengthen battery life in the sensors.
But others have said on this forum that if you do that it can take up to 6 minutes for the system to re-sync.

I keep mine powered up during the riding season and use the system to pre-ride check tire pressures.

2007 Comfort/Nav/ABS

Prior:
1993 ST1100
1983 CX650

I'll go totally green and give up my GoldWing when Al Gore gives up his charter jet.

post #14 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-03-2015, 11:10 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Turning the monitor off will not help the battery life. If the sensors are screwed in, they are sending the signal every 5-6 minutes.....they don't know if the monitor is receiving the signal or not. Doran told me if you unscrew the sensors (in the winter) the batteries will last longer, though I haven't found that to be the case.

Kurt

The greatest father-son motorcycle trip ever !
Alaska '14 (click to read)
Alaska '12 (click to read)
Coast to Coast Non-Stop CERTIFIED !
Jacksonville to San Diego

2367 miles..31hours 52min
1860 miles..24 hours
1025 miles..15 hours

IBA #57815
Double Darksider #333
Michelin Alpin/
Battlax BT45
post #15 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-03-2015, 11:22 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Another tidbit of information I just learned while replacing the batteries in my Dad's sensors..... before you glue the top back on, make sure and bend the top contact a little. That way when the top is on, it presses the contact onto the battery. I did not do that on one of my Dad's, and the next day, the monitor would not pick up the sensor. I took it apart and saw the top contact had no bend in it and figured it just wasn't making contact with the battery. I bent the contact into a U-shape and glued the top back on. Now it works perfectly.

Another thing I found....
The batteries have about 3.2v when they are new. When they need replacing, they are only down to 2.85 volts. I realize the electronics need a certain voltage to operate, but I was a little surprised to see how little the voltage had to drop before they sensor was inoperable.

In either case, I've done this to several sensors now, and they all work great. The most important part is to not lift the battery up any further than absolutely necessary to get a knife under it to break loose the bottom tab. Just a rich too high, and you will break the bottom contact of at the soldering point.
A close second is just to put an insulating piece of plastic under the battery.
Once you get the original battery out, the rest of the battery replacements will be super easy since the battery is just setting in there.

No more buying replacement sensors !!!!

Kurt

1860 miles..24 hours
1025 miles..15 hours

IBA #57815
Double Darksider #333
Michelin Alpin/
Battlax BT45
post #16 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-10-2015, 07:32 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Just wanted to put this back to the top in case someone got their bike out after the winter months and needed new sensors without seeing this.

Mine have been flawless since the battery replacement including a ride from Ohio to Florida, and have about 6k on them so far with some heavy rain (so they're staked and waterproof).

Be safe,
Kurt

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

1860 miles..24 hours
1025 miles..15 hours

IBA #57815
Double Darksider #333
Michelin Alpin/
Battlax BT45
post #17 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-10-2015, 10:44 PM
Seasoned Member

For those of us who aren't going to tackle something like this, have you given any consideration to the idea of making this a small, on-the-side type of service? I'd be first!

Until lions have their own storytellers, stories of the hunt shall always glorify the hunter
post #18 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-10-2015, 11:41 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullet bob View Post
For those of us who aren't going to tackle something like this, have you given any consideration to the idea of making this a small, on-the-side type of service? I'd be first!
I did think about it, but by the time someone sent the sensors to me, I bought the batteries, took the time to replace them, and then shipped them back, it would work out to be the same as buying new sensors.

I posted this in case others were willing to try it themselves......when you think about it, there's nothing to lose ! If it doesn't work out, the worst thing that happens is you buy the sensor from Doran as originally planned !

Thanks for your vote of confidence though.
Be safe,
Kurt

1860 miles..24 hours
1025 miles..15 hours

IBA #57815
Double Darksider #333
Michelin Alpin/
Battlax BT45
post #19 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-15-2015, 02:56 PM
Seasoned Member

Did you try soldering the contact to the battery to make sure there were no conductivity issues? I used to solder batteries together for use in remote control planes rather than buying a completed battery pack for twice the money.

Black 2003 GL1800A
post #20 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-15-2015, 03:00 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

I did not solder the contacts to the new battery. As long as there is a little bend in the contact, it seems to work just fine.
It is really easy to replace them from here out, too since the battery pretty much just falls out once you cut the top off when going to replace it. Getting the contact off the original battery is the hardest part of the whole project..

Kurt

1860 miles..24 hours
1025 miles..15 hours

IBA #57815
Double Darksider #333
Michelin Alpin/
Battlax BT45

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page