$5 Doran sensor DIY battery replacement - Page 4 - GL1800Riders
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-13-2016, 06:22 PM

doran sensors

Just had to purchase new sensors for my 360 unit. For those who need new ones the price is now $ 79.98 for two. Not complaining just an update.
tried the replacement method, kept breaking the solder joint on the board.
Billy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-13-2016, 09:05 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Thanks for the price update....

$40 per sensor that last for two years ? That's ridiculous.
I love the system, but with price of sensors, Doran should be ashamed of themselves.

Also, if you can solder like redwinger above can, you can just take the battery out and not worry about the connection.
You can order these batteries with the terminals on the battery already and then just solder one to the board like they must do from the factory....that would be really simple.

Kurt

The greatest father-son motorcycle trip ever !
Alaska '14 (click to read)
Alaska '12 (click to read)
Coast to Coast Non-Stop CERTIFIED !
Jacksonville to San Diego

2367 miles..31hours 52min
1860 miles..24 hours
1025 miles..15 hours

IBA #57815
Double Darksider #333
Michelin Alpin/
Battlax BT45

Last edited by BGBLK06; 05-13-2016 at 10:38 PM.
post #33 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-15-2016, 09:01 AM
Seasoned Member

I had these on 2 semi's and after replacing 13 of them in 3 years I decided it was time to change to a user replaceable battery. Been happy every since. I got a total of 58 sensor on trucks and farm equipment so the easy of changing a battery quickly is important. Plus so far I haven't had a problem with my smarTire ones on our wings yet. They're starting there 10th year inside the tires. So I'm looking for a replacement because I can't believe they're still working. Truck system technologies is working on a bike system but not out yet just hoping they have it in time for me.

2005 White GL1800
Traxxion all the way
Bridgestone G709
Michelin Alpin PA3 ZP 195/55/16

post #34 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-17-2016, 11:10 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff R View Post
I had these on 2 semi's and after replacing 13 of them in 3 years I decided it was time to change to a user replaceable battery. Been happy every since. I got a total of 58 sensor on trucks and farm equipment so the easy of changing a battery quickly is important. Plus so far I haven't had a problem with my smarTire ones on our wings yet. They're starting there 10th year inside the tires. So I'm looking for a replacement because I can't believe they're still working. Truck system technologies is working on a bike system but not out yet just hoping they have it in time for me.
Having problems with the wheel sensors again problem think I will switch brands also

2015 F6B Deluxe Blue
2015 Kaw Versys 1000
DARKSIDER 89
B/S 709 F & Michelin alpin pa3 R

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #35 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-28-2016, 08:11 AM

I just replaced 2 batteries. It was not at all difficult and worth the effort to save $100 - even if they only last a year! Thanks for the tutorial 👍🏻😎
BGBLK06 likes this.
post #36 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-10-2016, 09:42 AM
Seasoned Member

OK I finally got around to trying this procedure, I did get the top off pretty easy with a heat gun and razor but found that I did break the tab on the inside welded piece. I will try and solder it back on later today and then will do the other 4 I have before gluing them back together. I still have a working set on the bike and these are for the trailer and bike so no hurry to finish.

I just got done soldering the tab back on the board, it seems to be good and will do all 5 of them and then glue them all back at once. I still have to order the glue, it seems like they would have just made the units so the top could be unscrewed and battery replaced without a big deal like the other units on the market but I do like the monitor that is mounted right in front of me so I can see if the tires are going bad while I ride..

will update later as I progress.

Last edited by cgroh360; 06-10-2016 at 06:00 PM.
post #37 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-26-2016, 07:21 PM
Seasoned Member

I tried this on just the front sensor so far, and it appears to have worked! While trying to remove the battery, I had broken the bottom battery tab, but my work-around was a little different. I scavenged some really fine wire from a trashed USB cable and soldered it to the point where the broken tab was, made a new tab from some .008 brass shim stock and soldered to the wire.
When I cut open the case, I put it in a lathe and used a razor blade cutoff tool, and later faced off the surface to perfectly flat. Lightly sanded the mating surface of the cap to get it flat and put in a new battery with a plastic shim under it.
I used standard superglue and stuck it together in a clamp over night. Looks like it should hold, time will tell.
I'll get to the rear sensor in a couple of days. So far, I saved $40 to $45......makes me happy

Darksider #1358 Michelin Alpin 195/55-16
Watch these, America:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXGLbXXaEgc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CjNBvupzUM
post #38 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-26-2016, 07:57 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve F View Post
I tried this on just the front sensor so far, and it appears to have worked! While trying to remove the battery, I had broken the bottom battery tab, but my work-around was a little different. I scavenged some really fine wire from a trashed USB cable and soldered it to the point where the broken tab was, made a new tab from some .008 brass shim stock and soldered to the wire.
When I cut open the case, I put it in a lathe and used a razor blade cutoff tool, and later faced off the surface to perfectly flat. Lightly sanded the mating surface of the cap to get it flat and put in a new battery with a plastic shim under it.
I used standard superglue and stuck it together in a clamp over night. Looks like it should hold, time will tell.
I'll get to the rear sensor in a couple of days. So far, I saved $40 to $45......makes me happy
That sounds great.
When I broke the solder on the bottom tab, I didn't have a small enough soldering iron to do the job (I see getting one of those in the near future !).

Let us know if the super glue works. I didn't have good luck with that, so I switched to the other glued mentioned here.

Having a lathe would be awesome (for so many reasons)! I've flattened the mating surfaces by holding them on the side of my bench grinder's stone wheel with great success...

Keep us posted on how things work out and thanks for the update so far !

Fear causes Hesitation
Hesitation will cause your worst Fears to come True

The greatest father-son motorcycle trip ever !
Alaska '14 (click to read)
Alaska '12 (click to read)
Coast to Coast Non-Stop CERTIFIED !
Jacksonville to San Diego

2367 miles..31hours 52min
1860 miles..24 hours
1025 miles..15 hours

IBA #57815
Double Darksider #333
Michelin Alpin/
Battlax BT45
post #39 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-27-2016, 05:39 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGBLK06 View Post
That sounds great.
When I broke the solder on the bottom tab, I didn't have a small enough soldering iron to do the job (I see getting one of those in the near future !).

Let us know if the super glue works. I didn't have good luck with that, so I switched to the other glued mentioned here.

Having a lathe would be awesome (for so many reasons)! I've flattened the mating surfaces by holding them on the side of my bench grinder's stone wheel with great success...

Keep us posted on how things work out and thanks for the update so far !

Fear causes Hesitation
Hesitation will cause your worst Fears to come True
Super glue, regardless of its' viscosity is all the same functionally as long as the mating surfaces are in perfect mating configuration. The thicker varities of superglue will allow for minor imperfections in mating surfaces, and the use of an accellerator (ZIP KICKER) spray helps set up the glue almost instantly. As an added precaution against losing the cap should the super glue let loose, I'll add some heat shrink tubing to the sensor to keep the cap in place. Won't keep it from leaking, but I'll be able to find it
I must add, that your write-up and photos are first rate!
Steve F
BGBLK06 likes this.

Darksider #1358 Michelin Alpin 195/55-16
Watch these, America:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXGLbXXaEgc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CjNBvupzUM
post #40 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-27-2016, 10:24 PM
Seasoned Member

You can find all varieties of these glues at your local hobby shop that deals with RC planes/boats/cars/"drones". BTW, throw them out after a month from opening or six months from purchase.

Sent from my Le Pan TC802A using Tapatalk

Love 'em all... Let GOD sort 'em out!"
LIMNCS #632 DS#1085 Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3 ZP #19
Swapping the Rear Wheel by Laying Her Down (youtube)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page