LED garage lighting - Page 2 - GL1800Riders
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-20-2016, 09:09 AM
Seasoned Member

From your experience with them would you recommend them at the new price of $60 for a two pack? I'm in need of more lighting in my garage and this just might do the trick.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-20-2016, 02:19 PM
Seasoned Member

Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruzinZ View Post
From your experience with them would you recommend them at the new price of $60 for a two pack? I'm in need of more lighting in my garage and this just might do the trick.

Short answer is yes. Longer answer is everyone that has stopped by to get some work done here have remarked at how good these are. I originally installed CFL twisty bulbs, 100 watt equivalents, 8 on each side. Still wanted some more light. Had two of the 4 foot fluorescent shop lights left over from my old garage, installed them and it helped. Was in Costco one day, saw the lights (at that time $35 each, no pull chain, no daisy-chaining ). Figured I could get some more fluorescents for $20 each, and save some money as I had just retired.

Not so - friggin fluorescent fixtures are $20-25 each and then you still have to buy the bulbs for them . So I bought a couple from Costco. MAN - WHAT A DIFFERENCE !!! Ended up buy many more as funds allowed. Four of these lights fully replace the 8 CFL's with light to spare. No cold start issues, no ballast hum, super long life. And now they're cheaper and the pull chain on-off is nice to use. So yes - they are worth it.

Double Darksider #847
IBA #54767 BB1500+
Patriot Guard
Who I was yesterday is but a past memory, who I will be tomorrow is in the future. Who I am now and the type of person I am to others, that is what is important now.
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-20-2016, 09:18 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruzinZ View Post
Yes. I'm soon going to use one as a portable work light, instead of those heat generating 250 watt stand lights. I'll need to figure out some sort of tripod stand, and it would be really cool if it could pivot between horizontal to verticl postions.
Does anyone have any ideas of what I could use as a stand and pivot?

Bill Morphy
Mic-Mutes

post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-21-2016, 10:16 AM
Seasoned Member

I didn't use the Cosco fixtures, instead I just purchased the 48" Led bulbs and rewired my existing fixtures for the LED bulbs. The light difference is amazing and start immediately no matter the temperature. An added benefit is the elimination of the electromagnetic noise generated by the florescent fixtures. I have many of my lights automated to turn on and off from a central hub, and the florescent noise on the power lines was enough to make some of circuits inoperable. Also eliminates the static hum on AM radio if you happen to use one in your garage.
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-21-2016, 10:45 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEP47 View Post
I didn't use the Cosco fixtures, instead I just purchased the 48" Led bulbs and rewired my existing fixtures for the LED bulbs. The light difference is amazing and start immediately no matter the temperature. An added benefit is the elimination of the electromagnetic noise generated by the florescent fixtures. I have many of my lights automated to turn on and off from a central hub, and the florescent noise on the power lines was enough to make some of circuits inoperable. Also eliminates the static hum on AM radio if you happen to use one in your garage.
Tell us more about the fixture to LED conversions. How much and where?

Bill Morphy
Mic-Mutes
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-21-2016, 08:01 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morph View Post
Yes. I'm soon going to use one as a portable work light, instead of those heat generating 250 watt stand lights. I'll need to figure out some sort of tripod stand, and it would be really cool if it could pivot between horizontal to verticl postions.
Does anyone have any ideas of what I could use as a stand and pivot?
I do woodworking, so I have one of these (actually slightly different, but same basic idea) that I use to hang one of the lights on when working on the car's brakes, etc.. Set it off to the side and gives me sidelight vs. the light coming from the overhead. http://www.harborfreight.com/132-lb-...and-68898.html I use some solid-core electrical wire to hang the light with.

Double Darksider #847
IBA #54767 BB1500+
Patriot Guard
Who I was yesterday is but a past memory, who I will be tomorrow is in the future. Who I am now and the type of person I am to others, that is what is important now.
post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-22-2016, 11:08 AM
Seasoned Member

First you will need the , Non-Shunted T8 Lamp holder tombstone for LED fluorescent tube replacements. One per tube to be replaced. The tubes will be single power end T8 LED example (Forest Lighting T8T441 19W 4-Ft LED T8 Tube, 4100K) their are many suppliers of each. With these in hand you remove the old lamps, the ballast and replace one of the tomb stone lamp holders with one of the new non shunted lamp holders, wire direct to the ac supply where the ballast was connected. Install the new T8 bulb and your in business. In my case I had four bulb fixtures and had to just daisy change the new to tombstone sockets together. did the 4 fixtures in the garage in a couple of hours. This company has the bulbs also and a wiring diagram. Things to remember are that with these bulbs no ballast is required. Only one tombstone has to be changed per fixture and these are wired direct to the incoming power. The other end is not connected these are single ended bulbs. Remember to install the connecting end of the bulb in the new tombstone. ( http://ledlightingsolutionsusa.com/t8-led-tubes.html) This company sells the bulbs and has information on them and a wiring diagram for information. There are several utube vidies on the conversion. Hope this helps. Many sources for the bulbs and tombstones just have to decide which one you want to use.
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-07-2016, 04:20 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

On sale again

$40 bucks/2 on line:

http://www.costco.com/4-Linkable-LE...100284402.html

In store sold in 1zzys!

Bill Morphy
Mic-Mutes
post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-09-2016, 12:22 PM
Seasoned Member

I began replacing **all** (garage, interior / exterior home) of our incandescent / fluorescent / CFL lights with Costco sale LEDs and we love them.

we've got a wide variety of fixtures ranging from 100+ year old leaded lamps, deco sconces chandeliers through each major design era and I've been able to source LEDs for all, beginning with Costco's chained garage lighting.

thx for the reminder on the current sale, I may have to buy more now.
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-12-2016, 11:38 AM
Seasoned Member

Garage
I did a few in my house a year ago -- got rid of the florescent in the laundry room in favor of leds
A conversion kit in the existing fixtures was easy to do...

http://www.totalbulklighting.com/led...led-lamps.html

Iron Butt Certified Rides

SS1000 - Sept 10 2010

Great Lakes Challenge - July 2012
(continuous trip around the Great Lakes 100 hours)
68 hours 20 minutes 2499 miles

I am never lost while I still have fuel -- until that moment I am EXPLORING !

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page