Install a $25.00 Timed Power Port - GL1800Riders
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By rej4449

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 08-19-2016, 09:10 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Install a $25.00 Timed Power Port

Would you like to be able to charge your bluetooth headset on your bike? If you have a power port in your left-side glove box, you can plug in a USB adapter, but power is lost once you turn the ignition switch off. If you wire a power port directly to the battery, you can certainly charge overnight, but what about battery level if you forget to unplug the USB adapter? Plus, there is the issue of security. Someone could open the glove box lid and steal your valuable equipment.

My solution was to install a power port in the trunk and place a timer between the battery and power port. I programmed the timer for 5 hours, which is the charge time for my Sena 20S. The timer turns on with ignition and stays on for the timer duration. The timer module itself draws a meager 4ma, so I don't have to worry about the battery. When riding, at meal or sightseeing stops, I plug the headset in and let it top off. The timer is slightly larger than a dime. Best of all, the timer is only $14.99 at Amazon.com. Total parts cost should be less than $25.00. These instructions explain how I installed mine.

I recommend programming the timer before installation. You can make a programming jig with a 9V battery/clip and a 12V light bulb.

The installation and programming guide are available at www.3rdbrakeflasher.com/documentation/Multifunctional_Timer.pdf

Installation Instructions
  1. Obtain the Parts
    Timer Module - "Small Miniature time on off cycling delay relay" from Amazon.com.
    Inline Fuse Clip - You can get a watertight mini fuse clip from just about any auto parts store.
    5A Fuse - Auto parts store.
    Power Port aka Cigarette Lighter Adapter -- Once again, you can get one from just about any auto parts store.
    Electrical tape, connectors, ring terminals, etc.

2. Prep the Bike
    Remove the key.
    Put the bike on the center stand.
    Remove the seat.
    Remove the left side cover.
    Disconnect the battery.

3. Mount the Power Port
    Decide where to mount the power port.
    I mounted mine in the trunk so I could lock the helmet while charging.
    If you mount like mine, make sure you waterproof the hole through the bulkhead.
    Decide how to run power and ground to the power port.
    Mount the power port.
    I mounted mine in the trunk with the body of the power port projecting into the left-side pocket. There are power ports with brackets, plastic covers, etc. How you mount the power port depends on where you place it and what type you have.

4. Run a Wire from Ground to the Power Port
    Depending on the power port you have, determine which wire is ground. You may need to crimp a spade connector onto a wire and connect it to the power port. Refer to the instructions that came with the power port.

5. Run a Wire from the Battery to the Power Port
    I have a constant 12V and ignition buss installed on my bike, so I made my connection there. You
    will likely have to connect directly to the battery. Do not connect to the battery yet.
    Connect a ring terminal to one end of the fuse clip.
    Connect the other end of the fuse clip to a spool of 18ga wire. Pick a suitable (non-black) color.
    Route the wire to the power port. Do not connect it yet.
    Install a 5A fuse in the fuse clip.

6. Connect the Timer Between the Battery and the Power Port
    Connect the end of the wire to the RED wire from the timer.
    Connect a wire between the YELLOW wire from the timer and the "+" terminal on the power port.

7. Connect the Timer to Ground
    Connect a wire between the BLACK wire from the timer and ground. I piggy-backed onto a ground lead connected to a frame ground point. I intend to install a ground buss as a winter project.

8. Connect the Timer to Ignition
    Run another wire from the BLUE wire from the timer and an ignition source. You can use the ACC terminal on the fuse block.

9. Test the Installation
    Make sure the WHITE and GREEN wires from the timer are not touching anything. Insulate the ends with electrical tape.
    Check your wiring visually. Double-check all the connections.
    Use an ohmmeter to check resistance between the terminal at the end of the fuse clip and ground. You can get an inexpensive digital multimeter at Harbor Freight. During sales, they frequently give them away.
    Reverse the leads and check again. You should have a very high resistance, on the order of several megaohms. If not, you need to troubleshoot your wiring and fix the problem.
    With the ignition off, reconnect the battery. Your wiring should be connected to the RED (positive) terminal.
    Check for the presence of 12V on the power port. If you have not turned ignition on, you should not have any voltage. If you do, there is either a timer programming error or a wiring problem. Fix it before moving on.
    Turn the ignition on. Check for the presence of 12V on the power port. You should have 12V. If not, there is either a programming or wiring error. Fix it before moving on.
    Turn the ignition off. Check for the presence of 12V on the power port. If you see 12V present, your timer is working. Congratulations! You did it!
    Leave the bike with the ignition off. Wait for the timeout you set the timer to and return to check for the presence of 12V. You should not see any voltage.
    Neatly tuck in your wiring and put the bike back together. You're done.

Programming Instructions

Programming the timer is not difficult but it requires carefully following instructions. You may have to try programming several times to get it right. Be patient, re-read these instructions and try again. Eventually you will have the proper configuration. To be honest, I had to try four times before I fully understood the sequence. If you continue to have problems, note what is happening and send me a PM.

1. Connect the Timer
    I recommend using a programming jig to program the timer. Make the following connections:
    RED = 12VDC.
    BLACK = Ground.
    YELLOW = Power Port; you can use a 12V bulb or LED with resistor.
    BLUE = Leave disconnected; you will connect to 12V later.
    WHITE = Leave disconnected; you will connect to 12V later.

2. Enter Programming Mode
    Touch the WHITE and GREEN wires to ground for 1 second while applying power. Release the WHITE and GREEN wires. The light should be lit for 3 seconds. You are now in Programming Mode

3. Set the Timing Mode
    For now, you will bypass Timing Mode.
    Touch the WHITE and GREEN wires to ground for 1 second.
    You are now in Functions Mode.

4. Set the Function Mode
    You want to set the timer to Function 12. Touch the WHITE wire to ground momentarily 12 times. Each time, the light should light for about 1/4 second.
    You are now in Output Mode.

5. Set the Output Mode
    Touch the GREEN wire to ground momentarily 2 times. Each time you ground the GREEN wire the light should light for about 1/4 second. This sets the output to active high.
    You are now in Time Programming Mode.

6. Set Time Programming Mode
    Time Programming Mode allows you to set a timeout based on seconds, seconds x 10, minutes, minutes x 10, hours, hours x 10 and hours x 100.
    Touch the GREEN wire momentarily to ground.
    Disconnect power.
    Touch the white and green wires to ground. Turn on the power and leave the wires connected to ground for 1 second.
    The output will be active for 3 seconds.
    You are now back in Timing Mode, but this time for hours/minutes/seconds.

7. Set the Timeout Period
    For testing, we will set the timer for 5 seconds.
    Touch the WHITE wire to ground momentarily 5 times.
    Touch the WHITE wire to ground until the light flashes rapidly for 1 second.
    Disconnect power.

8. Test the Timer
    Apply power. The load should not be lit. If it is, you need to repeat programming.
    Touch the BLUE wire to power and hold it. The light should light and stay lit.
    Release the BLUE wire. The light should remain on for 5 seconds and go out. If you are successful, the timer is programmed except for setting the correct timeout. If not, repeat programming until it is correct. It may take a few times to get it right, so don't get frustrated!

9. Set the Correct Timeout
    We are going to set the timeout to 5 hours. If you want a different timeout, enter your value for each parameter.
    Touch the WHITE and GREEN wires to ground for 1 second while applying power. Release the WHITE and GREEN wires.
    The light should be lit for 3 seconds.
    We will set 0 seconds.
    Touch and hold the WHITE wire to ground until the light flashes rapidly for 1 second. Since we did not set a value, this stores 0 in the Seconds register. We are now at the Seconds x 10 register.
    Touch and hold the WHITE wire to ground until the light flashes rapidly for 1 second. Since we did not set a value, this stores 0 in the Seconds x 10 register. We are now at the Minutes register.
    Touch and hold the WHITE wire to ground until the light flashes rapidly for 1 second. Since we did not set a value, this stores 0 in the Minutes register. We are now at the Minutes x 10 register.
    Touch and hold the WHITE wire to ground until the light flashes rapidly for 1 second. Since we did not set a value, this stores 0 in the Minutes x 10 register.
    We are now at the Hours register.
    Touch the WHITE wire to ground momentarily 5 times. Each time the light should flash once.
    Touch and hold the WHITE wire to ground until the light flashes rapidly for 1 second. This stores the value "5" in the Hours register.
    Disconnect power.
    Programming is complete.

10. Final Test
    Apply power. The light should not be lit.
    Touch the BLUE wire to 12V. The light should be lit.
    Release the BLUE wire. Verify that the light remains lit for several minutes. (The light should remain on for the timeout period you set.
    If so, programming is complete!

Images show the location of the power port, trunk and side pocket views, installation with exposed wiring and the completed installation. Sorry for the clutter. I have a lot under the seat. I am also in the process of installing a computer and GPS reporting hardware.

If you run into a problem that you cannot figure out, please send me a PM.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Power Port.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	383.9 KB
ID:	140490   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pocket View.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	332.8 KB
ID:	140498   Click image for larger version

Name:	Timer Installation.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	387.8 KB
ID:	140506   Click image for larger version

Name:	Power Port Wiring Complete.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	291.3 KB
ID:	140514   Click image for larger version

Name:	Power Port Timer Schematic.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	140530  

jlbc212 likes this.

Last edited by rej4449; 08-19-2016 at 09:27 PM. Reason: Minor formatting errors
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 11-29-2016, 12:14 PM
Seasoned Member

To the knowledge gurus: Could this be used to supply power to the GPS unit when the engine is off, so as to bypass the cussed lawyer button?

'08 Pearl White GL1800, ABS, NAV, '97 Bushtec Genesis, Pearl white.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page