Broken highway peg arm - GL1800Riders

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-19-2016, 12:44 AM Thread Starter
Contributing Member

Broken highway peg arm

While riding home to No. California through Oregon on the super slab I put my feet on my Kuryakyn Ergo highway pegs and pushed back to lift my butt out of the seat when suddenly my left leg smashed down and onto the pavement at 70 MPH, with my foot then swinging back into the lower underside. I think it bounced off the exhaust, and luckily my foot did not go underneath the wheel. I recovered and looked down thinking the peg had fallen off, loose bolt or something. To my amazement the 4" arm had literally snapped off. Needless to say I didn't pull over to recover the part in the middle of I-5. Sure hope it bounced harmlessly away. Although I am not the slim stud I was in high school I only weigh 190# so don't think that is an issue, it should be engineered to handle more force than that. The peg was never damaged in a crash, never damaged in striking anything. Has anyone else ever had this problem? Recommendation on whether or how to contact Kuryakyn to see if they will make it right?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	57
Size:	113.4 KB
ID:	146594  

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-19-2016, 01:27 AM
Seasoned Member

USUALLY BEEN HIT WITH SOMETHING TO PUT STRESS CRACK IN IT THEN WHEN YOU PUT YOUR WEIGHT ON IT IT SNAPS . LUCKY YOU DIDNT GET HURT OR CRASH !! I HAD DRIVER PEG DO THAT WHEN MOUNTING AND RUN END OF HANDLEBAR DOWN MY RIB GAGE I HAD PEG ARM SNAP HITTING A CONE IN SOME CONSTRUCTION TRY CALLING KURY N SEE WHAT THEY SAY. HOW OLD ARE THEY. I HAVE /HAD PEGS ON ALL MY BIKES AND HAVE THEM UP HIGH N PUT MY WEIGHT 220# STRAIGHT LEGGED TO HOLD ME UP OFF SEAT. SO FAR SO GOOD.

WE ALL GOT TO GO SOMETIME .....ALWAYS TO SOON
FL. PROWLER # 62
DOUBLE DARKSIDER "WONKY" DRIVEGUARD REAR
BT 45 FRONT

Last edited by UNCLEJOHN; 09-19-2016 at 01:35 AM.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-19-2016, 01:04 PM
Seasoned Member

Good luck with Kury, but don't hold your breath. The group I was riding with during the last Dallas IBA had one come apart as we were doing about 90+. Luckily the shrapnel missed us who were following him. There have been some good reports of Kury making good on their products - but me thinks those are the rarity.

Let us know how it works out - and as others have said - other than one heck of an "Oh Crap" moment, glad you're okay. I've done the foot bounce off the pavement before - it definitely ain't fun.

Double Darksider #847
IBA #54767 BB1500+
Patriot Guard
Who I was yesterday is but a past memory, who I will be tomorrow is in the future. Who I am now and the type of person I am to others, that is what is important now.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-19-2016, 01:52 PM
Seasoned Member

Garage
Sure glad to hear it did not cause you to crash.
I have the same pegs, I try not to put any weight on them. I usually use the driver pegs to push on if I have to squirm around.
But, thanks for the warning.

2005 GL1800
USMC 1962 -1966

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page