6Likes
  • 2 Post By doug of no fl
  • 2 Post By M61A1MECH
  • 2 Post By mhgoldwing

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-20-2016, 11:53 AM Thread Starter

Send a message via Skype™ to Geneo2
How to change Low Beam Headlight

I can find many videos showing and telling how to change the headlight bulb on a Honda GL1800. Unfortunately, it is the High-bean bulb. That is fairly easy. I need to know how to change the second bulb, the lowborn bulb. The actual changing is the same as the other bulb. HOW DO I GET TO THAT BULB?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-20-2016, 01:02 PM
Seasoned Member

The low beams are the easy ones to change through the fork tunnel. The high beams are definitely tougher.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-20-2016, 01:14 PM
Seasoned Member

Pretty much the same, it should be even easier to change the low beam bulb.
Look down the tunnel and you will see the black rubber boot and the connector wires, 1 green and one white with black tracer,

Position handlebars so you can get your arm in to the spot where the bulb & boot are.

USE A GOOD FLASHLIGHT!

Remove connector plug, remove black rubber boot, paying attention to the exact position of each one,

Looking in again and see the wire spring going across the rear of the bulb, on the left bulb the spring latch is disconnected from the left side by pushing in and down and it will release and come back toward you and you swing it to the right and pull bulb out by the two ends paying attention to the position it is in.

REMOVE black plastic adapter from the bulb and plug it on the new bulb in the exact same position it was,

insert bulb with adapter, back in headlamp socket with the tabs up in same position the original was, swing wire latch across back of bulb and push down and in then up and it will latch.

Put boot back over bulb end and press all around so it is secure to housing.

Plug in green and white wire connector in same position as removed, done.

TIPS:: It may be easier to lube parts of the boot so it goes over the bulb & housing easier.. Do not touch glass part of bulb, small hands are a PLUS.

A lot of it you have to do by feel, look first and then quickly insert pieces and its works better..

Took longer to type this than to do it... Ride Safe!!
Ironhorse1800 and networkguy3 like this.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-20-2016, 05:10 PM
Seasoned Member

Put the bike on the center stand, I just replaced both of mine while on a trip to West Virginia, with the bike on the side stand the spring retainer falls back into the socket the bulb goes in and you cannot get the bulb in. Also pay attention to which way the assembly comes out, they only go in one way, do not ask me how I know this.
Ironhorse1800 and Barrycuda67 like this.

Steve Kowalcky
Edgewater, FL
Florida Prowler # 46250

The Lord said; "Thou shalt have dominion over all of the animals, except of course the cat."

My therapist's name is Dr. Goldwing, she has the antidote for the blues.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-20-2016, 05:49 PM
Seasoned Member

Funny, both Steve and I had our low beams go out within a day of each other on the WV trip. Centerstand for sure. Also, the metal ring that (assembles to the bulb) the little "tab" should be facing at 12 o clock. If the tab is on the bottom, the spring will not close correctly. Don't ask Steve how we know

IBA# 60622
Prowler #1999
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-21-2016, 12:42 AM
Seasoned Member

Get yourself a dole rod about 15 inches long and put a v notch in end of it. With flash lite you can "see" the spring to clip on / off . Rest you can do site unseen. Bulb has a raised tab (like a t) when you take old out pay attention to how it went in .

WE ALL GOT TO GO SOMETIME .....ALWAYS TO SOON
FL. PROWLER # 62
DOUBLE DARKSIDER "WONKY" DRIVEGUARD REAR
BT 45 FRONT
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-22-2016, 02:03 PM
Seasoned Member

Garage
Arrow Read this thread for more knowledge

Click here -->> Headlight H& Adaptor Sockets Issue

Be sure to LOOK at the plastic adapters you are re-using while you have them out -
I found mine were a little crispy and not functioning well causing pre-mature bulb burn-out

Iron Butt Certified Rides

SS1000 - Sept 10 2010

Great Lakes Challenge - July 2012
(continuous trip around the Great Lakes 100 hours)
68 hours 20 minutes 2499 miles

I am never lost while I still have fuel -- until that moment I am EXPLORING !
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-22-2016, 05:30 PM
Seasoned Member

Here's the best video I've found:

Next tip: bike on centerstand. Stand on opposite side from bulb that needs changing, i.e; stand on left side for right bulb, and right side for left bulb. What this does is place your fingers and wrist in correct position to perform the steps necessary. After I figured this out I can change a bulb in two minutes or less.
Hoosier Daddy and Igneouss like this.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]06 Wing with '11 Roadsmith w/ Accuride System & Aux Fuel, Traxxion Ak-20 forks

'07 ST1300

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page