Replacing spring clip on low beam headlight - GL1800Riders
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-20-2016, 09:11 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Replacing spring clip on low beam headlight

When I changed my low beam bulb, I bent the spring clip by pushing too hard. A Honda tech told me I need new spring clip. Got the clip, but am stymied by how to change the new clip for the bent one.

Anyone have this experience?

08 Pearl White Premium Audio
06 Kawasaki Vulcan 750

LOUD COLORS SAVE LIVES!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-21-2016, 06:56 AM
Seasoned Member

From what I recall, there is a screw holding the clip in place that needs to be removed, be careful to not lose the screw. Taking a picture prior to removal may help.

IBA# 60622
Prowler #1999
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-21-2016, 10:26 AM
Seasoned Member

Harry Houdini could probably replace the clip by reaching down in the same fashion as you would in changing the bulb and adapter, but most mortal folk are going to have to pull the whole cowl forward, which is quite a job as compared to the former. I believe I would try to re-bend the clip by reaching in. If your fingers are strong enough to bend it out, you should be able to bend it back. It is a very simple little latch. Waldo has a great pic of it to assist you.

prs
Harry Robinson likes this.

2002 Black Standard Brakes "TE MEGA MONTY"

DARKSIDER #1249

"Well, Chester; choos'n friends goes kinda fast once the shoot'n starts." Mathew Dillon to Chester Goode

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-21-2016, 02:11 PM
Super Moderator

When working in the blind, I do better if I am blind! I look up in the tunnel and get a mental picture, then close my eyes and go for it. "Seeing" the task on the backside of my eyelids seems to work better than staring at the junk in my garage. YMMV.

Ironhorse1800, Hoss
2004 VTX1800N3 Red, Darkside Goodyear Assurance Tripletred 205/60/R16
2008 GL1800 ABS/NAV Red, Darkside #1273
[B]Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3 195/55/16 / [COLOR=#000000]Yokohama Avid Envigor ZPS
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-21-2016, 03:00 PM
Seasoned Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigeon Roost View Post
Harry Houdini could probably replace the clip by reaching down in the same fashion as you would in changing the bulb and adapter, but most mortal folk are going to have to pull the whole cowl forward, which is quite a job as compared to the former. I believe I would try to re-bend the clip by reaching in. If your fingers are strong enough to bend it out, you should be able to bend it back. It is a very simple little latch. Waldo has a great pic of it to assist you.

prs

That is what I would do, if I was me.

2005 GL1800
USMC 1962 -1966
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-21-2016, 04:14 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigeon Roost View Post

prs
First time I have ever wished my fingers were not so strong. Going to give it a try. Thanks for the input.

06 Kawasaki Vulcan 750

LOUD COLORS SAVE LIVES!

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-21-2016, 05:13 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluestone View Post
First time I have ever wished my fingers were not so strong. Going to give it a try. Thanks for the input.
You might try a trick I learned in replacing my low beam bulbs. Whichever side needs the work - stand on the opposite side of the bike and reach in. I found that puts my wrists and fingers in exactly the right place to get the job done quickly. For instance, if the left side is where the work is, stand on the right side of the bike and reach in with your left hand. Easy, peasy!
Ironhorse1800 likes this.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]06 Wing with '11 Roadsmith w/ Accuride System & Aux Fuel, Traxxion Ak-20 forks

'07 ST1300
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-21-2016, 05:45 PM
Seasoned Member

I did the same thing when I recently replaced both of my low beams, on the left side (first side I worked on) I bent the spring clip and I anticipate going back in there to try to re-bend it, if that is not successful I will be ordering a new spring to try replacing it. I think if you have a long screw driver it could be done. Left over from my days of owning a Yamaha Royal Star I have the longest screw driver that Craftsman sold, needed it to reach across from each side of the bike to the other side to adjust the carbs when doing a synch. I am pretty sure it will be long enough for the job and afford me room to look in there while doing it. Got some old style spring fingers that fit on the screwdriver shaft to grab the head of the screw when doing the install, that will be the tricky bit, getting the spring and screw in with out dropping one or the other.
Just like my days working on aircraft and missiles, I wish I had eyeballs and lights on my finger tips.

Steve Kowalcky
Edgewater, FL
Florida Prowler # 46250

The Lord said; "Thou shalt have dominion over all of the animals, except of course the cat."

My therapist's name is Dr. Goldwing, she has the antidote for the blues.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-22-2016, 12:42 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Lighting is key. Rather than a flashlight, I used an LED headband light. You can hang it down the well and free up a hand. Of course once your arm is down there, you do need eyeballs on your fingertips. Great phrase!

06 Kawasaki Vulcan 750

LOUD COLORS SAVE LIVES!

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-01-2016, 05:55 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Solved my low beam spring clip problem at last! I did not want to pull the front faring to expose the headlight modules. After puzzling it out for weeks, decided it was a 2 person job. My wife (with slender forearms) reached down from the top and loosened the screw. Working underneath from the front, I removed the spring clip and inserted a new one as she guided my movements from above. Then she tightened the screw and it was done! Plugged in the adapter and the headlight is now working. The job took all of 1/2 an hour, once I figured it out.

06 Kawasaki Vulcan 750

LOUD COLORS SAVE LIVES!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page