4Likes
  • 3 Post By ptgb
  • 1 Post By milkmaster

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-03-2016, 02:23 AM Thread Starter
Contributing Member

Garage
Wiring Up Accessories Exactly How I Want Them

Over the last month or so got my 2012 Glint Wave Metallic wired up for the electronic accessories that I enjoy having on the bike. No farkles here.

I am a 25 year police officer and I enjoy having a police scanner on the motorcycle for something more to listen to while I am traveling (other than just music). Also picked up a Zumo 595LM for the greatly enhanced features as compared to the factory GPS system. I wanted to have all the audio play simultaneously through the AUX as I wanted the choice of hearing it out of the speakers or headset.

Started by mounting 2 Buss 4-circuit fuse panels and a ground block (Summit Racing) in the left saddle bag. Drilled into the front of the saddle bag where the bag is covered by the side cover and bolted the two fuse panels. The ground block was mounted to the rear of the saddle bag (self tapping screws). Drilled two more holes in the front of the saddlebag to run the wires to the battery and relay.

One fuse panel is always hot the other is keyed-hot. Used the following schematic to wire it up (last diagram on the page):

http://www.aumih.info/Tips/fuseblock.html

Ran 6 wires (3 hots and 3 grounds) up to the area under the left storage box. One set for the Zumo, one for a GPS puck that works with the scanner, and one for an AmpliRider multiple input amplifier.

What a mess!!!!

Chose a Uniden Homepatrol police scanner because of its size and ease of use (when riding). It has a touch screen interface and a big display for easy reading.

Even with these dimensions, mounting it where I wanted, on top of the glovebox, the handlebars would not clear at full lock. It was because of the holder. So I decided to to inlay the holder.

First thing I did was put the holder on a piece of paper, traced out the mount base, and then taped it to the center of the glovebox lid. Then just started hacking at the lid with a Dremel to cut the diamond shape needed.

The holder fit perfectly in the hole, but I still needed something to bolt the holder to. Decided to cut and JB Weld a piece of aluminum to the inside of the glovebox lid and then drilled and and bolted on the holder.

This is how it ended being mounted and I have about 1/4" clearance with the handle bars as full lock.

Ran a USB power cable from the left box (plugged into the Zumo harness for power), a 3.5mm audio cable from the left box, an antenna wire (scanner antenna mounted on trunk), and the GPS puck from the right cover to the glovebox.

Drilled two 3/4" holes through the glovebox lid on each side of the scanner to pass the wires. Have rubber plugs that will plug the holes when it rains and I put the scanner in the glovebox to keep it from getting wet.

Also if you look in the upper right of the picture below you will see GPS puck that I 3M taped to the right side cover. The scanner reads your position via the GPS puck and changes the frequencies in the scanner for the area that you are in. The scanner has an SD card in it with all the public safety radio frequencies in the US & Canada.

Then it was as simple as plugging the 3.5mm audio cable from the scanner and the Zumo into the AmpliRider inputs and and AUX plug to the Wing into the AmpliRider's output. Now, I adjust the volume of the MP3s coming from the Zumo, the voice from the Zumo, and the scanner volume, and I hear all three through the speakers or headset.

Also put ground loop isolators on the AUX circuit and power circuit under the left box. Also a edsets mic-splitter so I can interface with my iPhone via the Zumo.

All in all not a bad job as long as you keep track of the 364 wires going all over the place!

Last edited by ptgb; 12-03-2016 at 02:30 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-03-2016, 08:38 AM

Sure hope the next owner is an electrical wizard if he has problems!! Awesome job, I envy your ability!!
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-03-2016, 08:42 AM
Contributing Member

I admire your zeal. Some rubber grommets in those wiring holes will hold the wires better and dress up the holes a little.
William Anzik likes this.

Any good reason to stay out of someone else’s mess is a gift to both parties.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-05-2016, 08:49 AM
Seasoned Member

Good Job!

Just thought you might like to see the Uniden siren app. The current version of the app works flawlessly. I am running it on an old rooted Galaxy S3 (you don't have to root your phone!) and it connects up just fine to the uniden BCD536 in my trunk. (out of sight.....) The app displays exactly what is going on with your scanner and allows you to control most of the critical features. The nice thing is that it also plays the audio from the scanner over the speaker on the phone. Useless when riding however I interfaced the audio out into a Mixit device and that goes to my Sena system. I placed my GPS puck on the trunk rack and now because of a change in mounting I no longer have to use a right angle adapter or ribbon cable to hook up the gps. I think the next thing I will add is the ability to route scanner audio to the tweeters on the front of the bike. (I installed replacement speaker with tweeters....) Really no room for an auxiliary speaker on the wing...

Only down side is you can't use the smartphone for anything else as I run it in airplane mode and then only connect the smartphone to the BCD536HP access point. The current mount was were I put my active smartphone but I may find somewhere else as I am in the midst of engineering a farkle shelf that does not require you to drill into the windshield like the firecreek one. I have a funky waterproof case for it and may just make it a permanent mount. I have included a picture of my scanner for those who did not follow the other thread on this subject

What antenna did you finally use? I used an commercial vhf/uhf/700/800/900 mhz NMO mounted shorty. It is displayed on the rack and is the right sided one. The left sided one is my dual band hamtenna. My 800mhz dedicated antenna is not in frame.

Tom
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	scannerTrunk.JPG
Views:	86
Size:	35.6 KB
ID:	161713   Click image for larger version

Name:	rackfinished.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	161721   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20161205_082951.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	370.3 KB
ID:	161729  

#####################
2015 GL1800 Level 3
www.gl1800-farkles.com

#####################
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-26-2017, 11:04 AM
Seasoned Member

OP ,

looks great, thx for the post.

be safe out there.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page