2012-up Saddlebags on a 10-down bike - GL1800Riders
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By revrunt

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-21-2016, 05:26 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

2012-up Saddlebags on a 10-down bike

I’ve had a handful of requests over the years on doing the 12-up saddlebag conversion to a 10-down bike. One person even said I was the forum expert on it. I’ll have to disagree with that statement as an expert would have taken FAR better notes, pictures, etc.

I figured I’d try to see about exercising my rememberer. My forgetter is getting better and better by the day

It's not bad, just time consuming. I ended up using the 02 seat, 02 side panels (02SP), 02 Kuryakyn chrome battery box covers (02BBC), half of the 12 black battery covers (12BBC). I suspect an "easier" swap would have been to buy the 12 seat and 12 sidepanels/battery covers, but then you have to buy and paint them too, and buy an expensive stock seat. I had a Corbin I liked, so I set out to keep it.

I cut the 12BBC where the red line is and threw away the blue "X" part. I put the chrome 02BBC over the top of the 12BBC and screwed the two together, making one really large side panel. Plus side is, with all the different rubber grommet mounts, you arent ever going to lose a side cover again, because like the 12-up, you have to open the saddlebag to be able to remove the cover. The yellow shrouded part is the only part of the 12BBC that is seen.

It seems like there were two holes on the saddlebags right around the passenger handles that had to be cut off. It seems as if the sidecover didn’t want to go on with that piece of plastic in the way. This was probably a side cover mount for the 12-up that the 10-downs don’t have.

The tail light wiring needs to be re-routed to the center for the newer tail light. But you have to keep the two "saddlebag open" wires in the bags.

I wanted the "bag open" function to work on my dash, so I hooked them back up. The wiring are the same between the two.

I pulled all the tail light function wires into the middle of the rear fender. If I remember correctly, there are 2 grounds (one for each set of original lights). There will also be two running lights, and two brake light wires. The only ones that would be different would be the turn signals. Find your ground first (I think green, but dont hold me to that). In testing for a ground, run through all your functions (running, brake and both turns), to make sure you actually do have the ground. Some wires will show a ground until the light function comes on (i.e. turns), because the front light bulbs are just a continuous wire to ground until the power is applied then the "short" in the light bulb makes it light up.

I had so much fun doing this on my 02, I was gonna do this same thing to my 01 I’d bought, but a ’13 followed me home back in August 2016.

It would be nifty if the select few that are also doing this would add their notes and pics they took on this thread to help others in the future. I really enjoy this forum, I’ve gained a lot of info over the years, and this is my miniscule way of paying it back.

There are a few more pictures on my album called 2012 Saddlebag Conversion on an 02: http://gl1800riders.com/forums/membe...ersion-02.html

Hope this helps. I am going from a 3 year old memory and like I said, my forgetter is getting better, lol.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	OEM 12 side cover.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	367.5 KB
ID:	164241   Click image for larger version

Name:	side cover mods.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	135.1 KB
ID:	164249   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9112.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	412.8 KB
ID:	164257   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0851.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	1.11 MB
ID:	164265   Click image for larger version

Name:	side cover.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	124.5 KB
ID:	164273  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0307.JPG
Views:	112
Size:	1.05 MB
ID:	164281  

Bill
Road Captain, CMA Chapter #105 Ozarks Christian Riders

13 GL1800 (current)
past bikes:
01 GL1800
96 Electra Glide Ultra Classic
02 GL1800
91I GL1500
84I GL1200
06 V-Star 1100 Silverado
05 V-Star 650 Classic
03 Suzuki GZ250

If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under...Ronald Reagan

Last edited by da_bull; 12-21-2016 at 05:30 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-21-2016, 06:24 PM
Seasoned Member

Thanks, Bill for taking the time to put this together!!! I was looking to get rid of a few scratches and "experiences markers" on my '01. In shopping for a set take-off bags, I found the trike shop didn't have any '01 bags in yellow but happened to have a later version set!!!

In the next few days I will pick up these bags and get the rest of the odds and ends gathered to make this happen. There will be a blow-by-blow as we go through the process.... sad part is, my bike is in storage in Texas at the moment, awaiting a trip to Key West after Christmas. So we may get started by fitting the bags on my son's '04.

Here is a set of the related wiring diagrams from the '01-05, the turn signals on one, the brake/tail on another and the bag-open signals on another.

If somebody has the '12 and up diagrams, it might be helpful to have them posted here also...(?)

Thanks again, Bill!

:thumb up:
da_bull likes this.

Steve and Mel... over 25 great years together, 42 in all
Darksider #433
Michelin Alpin
Battleax BT45's (over a dozen and counting)
Started really ignorant, getting smarter for over sixty years... long way to go.[/I]
[/CENTER]

Last edited by revrunt; 12-21-2016 at 06:28 PM.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-22-2016, 03:12 PM
Seasoned Member

Honda has consistent wiring colors from '78 and up for the signals and run lights.

Brown with white or black stripe = running
Solid blue = left signal
Blue with white = left front running in signal housing
Solid orange = right signal
Orange with white = right front running in signal housing
Green with red = brake lights
Solid green = ground.

Nice write up!

'06 Chrome on Black on Black
#notmypresident

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page