So you say your heated seats don't get hot enough? - Page 2 - GL1800Riders
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 183 (permalink) Old 11-30-2008, 08:02 AM
Legend in His Own Mind

Cool.............................................. ............ umm no I mean warm, no warmer.

Txs for the freebee mod idea, Fred.

Friend of fast, Foe of slow
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 183 (permalink) Old 11-30-2008, 11:41 AM
Seasoned Member

Increased heat

I live in central Illinois with a 2007 Trike. I can assure you, that it gets cold enough here (32 this morning with 1" of snow) the seat gets warm enough that I have to turn it down. My problem is the handlebar grips with the Kuryakyn grips. I do get heat, but would like to have more. Fred, do you see a way to increase the heat in them without creating too much heat on the inside of the grips?

Thanks, Dick
post #13 of 183 (permalink) Old 11-30-2008, 12:34 PM Thread Starter
Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwingbuzz View Post
Fred, Great info. You are not responsible for this info,but is the harness the same on the 06 Wing? Are the color codes the same but in different locations? Thanks Buzz
The color codes on the 2006 schematic I have show that the wire colors on the seat side of the connector have changed some, but the color code on the BIKE side of the connector for the thermistor ground circuit is still shown to be GREEN with a BLACK STRIPE.

If you are unsure, pull up the page in your manual that shows this schematic, and follow the RIDERS thermistors over to the COMMON GROUND that they share and check the color code of it.

However, be warned, I have not done this modification on any model year other than the 2009. You might want to put an ohmeter on the thermistors and see what they measure to make sure they haven't been changed. I got about 67K ohms at 55 degrees. They should be somewhere close to that.

GL1800 Maintenance Videos - 20 Disc Set

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Dealer/Installer

Christmas Sale Price now in effect

Follow Me on Facebook

post #14 of 183 (permalink) Old 11-30-2008, 12:45 PM Thread Starter
Supporting Vendor

Here is the 2006 schematic I have. Note that on the BIKE side of the connector, the common ground is still shown as GREEN with a BLACK STRIPE.

Follow Me on Facebook
post #15 of 183 (permalink) Old 11-30-2008, 12:48 PM Thread Starter
Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgamage View Post
I live in central Illinois with a 2007 Trike. I can assure you, that it gets cold enough here (32 this morning with 1" of snow) the seat gets warm enough that I have to turn it down. My problem is the handlebar grips with the Kuryakyn grips. I do get heat, but would like to have more. Fred, do you see a way to increase the heat in them without creating too much heat on the inside of the grips?

Thanks, Dick
There are no thermistors in the grips, so this trick won't work with the heated grips.

Follow Me on Facebook
post #16 of 183 (permalink) Old 11-30-2008, 01:11 PM
Misinformed Member

Fred, could you use a poteniometer to vary the resistance to simulate different temp conditions?

DSI #226
post #17 of 183 (permalink) Old 11-30-2008, 01:18 PM Thread Starter
Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsapitty View Post
Fred, could you use a poteniometer to vary the resistance to simulate different temp conditions?
Yes if it was the right size, but I wouldn't advise it. The danger would be that if the POT's wiper arm opened up (as they frequently do) the seat heater might go into a thermal runaway condition. I don't know if the system shuts itself down if it senses an open on the thermistors or not, but if it doesn't auto shut down, and the thermistor circuit is open, the heater would run wide open with no regulation.

Personally, I think you are better off just putting in a standard 10K ohm resistor and using the dial adjuster on the bike to control the heat level.

It is also worth mentioning, that this modification will probably be of more use to folks who ride in milder temps, where the seat heater doesn't come on as much, than it will for folks in colder climates. When the seats are really cold (say below 35 degrees) there probably is no need for this modification.

Follow Me on Facebook
post #18 of 183 (permalink) Old 11-30-2008, 01:39 PM
Seasoned Member

This sounds great. Where is this connector on the bike located?
post #19 of 183 (permalink) Old 11-30-2008, 02:39 PM
Seasoned Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred H. View Post
It is also worth mentioning, that this modification will probably be of more use to folks who ride in milder temps, where the seat heater doesn't come on as much, than it will for folks in colder climates. When the seats are really cold (say below 35 degrees) there probably is no need for this modification.

2006 ABS Gold (Built in U.S.A.), Full Mega Mondo Monte, Lots of extras! (3/25/2006) - PROGRESSIVIZED - Full Monte (Wing Ding 29) -WingSoft Large Complete Seat Modification, Full Mega Mondo Mega Plus Mega Monte.
Gold: The color with the most muscle! (Muscle and Fitness Magazine, June 2006, page 48 )

Fred Harmon's DVDs: The best and only DVDs you'll ever need for maintaining a GL1800
post #20 of 183 (permalink) Old 11-30-2008, 06:37 PM
10 year Member

"Chestnuts roasting on an open fire" C'MON !

sing it with me gang!!!

Matt(Boulder City, NV)

2007 Black Cherry Airbag*
2008 Black Cherry Motortrike
*Traxxion~Mega
LIMNCS #74
DS #925
“Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” -John Wayne
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page