So you say your heated seats don't get hot enough? - Page 3 - GL1800Riders
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 183 (permalink) Old 11-30-2008, 07:14 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt(Boulder City, NV) View Post
"Chestnuts roasting on an open fire" C'MON !

sing it with me gang!!!

Matt(Boulder City, NV)
Jack Frost nipping on your nose

http://www.johnmcandrew.com
2006 Black Nav
2002 Suz Hayabusa
1995 CBR600 Hurricain
HID Conversion

Common sense is a terrible thing to waste

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 183 (permalink) Old 12-01-2008, 01:06 AM
Seasoned Member

Seat heat

Fred,
Are you doing the bike plug or the seat plug. I guess I'm asking are you doing this at the plug that the seat plugs into, or are you doing this on the plug that is on the seat itself? I know it's confusing, because I'm confused..............

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
2007 Dark Blue Metalic Nav/Com
2007 Hannigan Sierra Trailer
"Blue Moon of Kentucky"
Kumho 195/55/16 RF DSI #265
post #23 of 183 (permalink) Old 12-01-2008, 10:04 PM
Seasoned Member

Seat Heat Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut6670 View Post
Fred,
Are you doing the bike plug or the seat plug. I guess I'm asking are you doing this at the plug that the seat plugs into, or are you doing this on the plug that is on the seat itself? I know it's confusing, because I'm confused..............
From the pics he posted, the bike side of the harness.

post #24 of 183 (permalink) Old 12-01-2008, 10:42 PM
Seasoned Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut6670 View Post
Fred,
Read post number 14:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred H. View Post
Here is the 2006 schematic I have. Note that on the BIKE side of the connector, the common ground is still shown as GREEN with a BLACK STRIPE.
I'd recommend reading all of Fred's posts thoroughly. You don't want any doubt if/when you cut that wire.

2006 ABS Gold (Built in U.S.A.), Full Mega Mondo Monte, Lots of extras! (3/25/2006) - PROGRESSIVIZED - Full Monte (Wing Ding 29) -WingSoft Large Complete Seat Modification, Full Mega Mondo Mega Plus Mega Monte.
Gold: The color with the most muscle! (Muscle and Fitness Magazine, June 2006, page 48 )

Fred Harmon's DVDs: The best and only DVDs you'll ever need for maintaining a GL1800
post #25 of 183 (permalink) Old 12-02-2008, 06:53 AM
Seasoned Member

Thanks for the help. If by chance I do not notice a difference can I connect back to original? I don't think it would be a problem? Thanks again

post #26 of 183 (permalink) Old 12-02-2008, 08:12 AM
Seasoned Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnutzz View Post
Or you lucked out with a hot date!!!!
post #27 of 183 (permalink) Old 12-02-2008, 09:55 PM
Seasoned Member

Thanks Fred. Just completed the seat Mod. Works great. I had to turn the seat down to setting 3. Thanks again Fred. Buzz

post #28 of 183 (permalink) Old 12-08-2008, 11:24 AM Thread Starter
Supporting Vendor

I got my wife on the new bike for the first time yesterday and even with the rear seat on MAX, she said she could only barely feel them getting warm.

So it looks like I will have to cut the other green/black ground wire and add a 10K ohm resistor to it as well so her seat gets warmer.

It only really seems to be a problem when you try to use them in temps that are only marginally cool, like around 60 degrees or so. Below that, the thermistors seem to let them come on ok and work.

GL1800 Maintenance Videos - 20 Disc Set

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Dealer/Installer

Follow Me on Facebook
post #29 of 183 (permalink) Old 12-08-2008, 11:33 AM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred H. View Post
I got my wife on the new bike for the first time yesterday and even with the rear seat on MAX, she said she could only barely feel them getting warm.

So it looks like I will have to cut the other green/black ground wire and add a 10K ohm resistor to it as well so her seat gets warmer.

It only really seems to be a problem when you try to use them in temps that are only marginally cool, like around 60 degrees or so. Below that, the thermistors seem to let them come on ok and work.
I was going to ask about this...

There are two Green-with-black-stripe wires and both are green on the other side of the connector. So how did you determine which one goes to front or back?

My wife likes the seat warmers even in mild temps to sooth her back. I'd like to add this so I can get her seat to heat up even in mild temps.

Thanks

2009 Goldwing, Metallic Silver
2008 BMW R1200GSA, Magnesium Metallic - SOLD
2007 Yamaha Roadstar 1700, Silver Flamed - SOLD
post #30 of 183 (permalink) Old 12-08-2008, 12:20 PM Thread Starter
Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phred View Post
I was going to ask about this...

There are two Green-with-black-stripe wires and both are green on the other side of the connector. So how did you determine which one goes to front or back?

My wife likes the seat warmers even in mild temps to sooth her back. I'd like to add this so I can get her seat to heat up even in mild temps.

Thanks
Look close at the position of the two green/black wires in the connector (on the bike side of the harness). The one I have my finger on is for the riders seat, and is the center pin in the row. The other one is at the beginning of the next row, and it is the one for the passengars seat.

This is on the 2009 bike, but I am pretty sure the pin locations are the same on the 2006-2008 bikes.

GL1800 Maintenance Videos - 20 Disc Set

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Dealer/Installer

Follow Me on Facebook

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page