So you say your heated seats don't get hot enough? - GL1800Riders
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 183 (permalink) Old 11-29-2008, 04:31 PM Thread Starter
Supporting Vendor

So you say your heated seats don't get hot enough?

First off, let me say that if you are satisfied with the way your heated seats work, LEAVE THEM ALONE and please SKIP THIS THREAD.

WARNING: DO NOT ATTEMPT IF YOU ARE ELECTRICALLY CHALLANGED. CUTTING INTO YOUR BIKES WIRE HARNESS CAN RESULT IN BAD THINGS IF YOU AREN'T 100% CERTAIN OF WHAT YOU ARE DOING.

IF YOU DO THIS MODIFICATION IT IS AT YOUR OWN RISK

However, if you are one of those that feels your seats don't get hot enough, I may have a way to help you, but it will require you make a modification to the wire harness.

Before I get into the actual mod, let me tell you the results of my measurements. I took a cold seat at about 55 degrees and measured the thermistor values in it. They are all around 67K to 69K ohms. I then put it back on the bike and ran the seat heater on high and remeasured them. They were around 35K ohms after few minutes. Unfortunatly, it doesn't get that cold here in Texas, so I was unable to measure the thermistors at any temp lower than about 55 degrees, but I suspect the thermistors would probably rise another 20K ohms or more when really cold soaked around freezing.

If you look close at the circuit for the front seat, you will see it has two thermistors connected to a common ground. So to raise the seat temperature, all you have to do is add resistance, and the best place to do this is on the common ground line.

I began with 10K ohms, then tried 20K ohms and 30K ohms. 30K ohms was WAY TOO MUCH, and got the seats too hot. I measured seat temps both with an infarred temp gun, and by the seat of my pants, so to speak. What I thought felt about right in the garage was 20K ohms, so I put that in and went for a ride. I found that with a 20K ohm resistor in, even on the lowest setting, I couldn't get the seat temp low enough for it to be comfortable in 55 degree weather. So it seems like the trick is finding the very lowest value of resistor you can that will still let you use the low setting when you want, but slightly increasing the heat out of the seat on all settings. I went back and put in the 10K resistor and went for a ride. For me, this is perfect. It has about the same effect as turning up the dial one notch at all settings, and I couldn't stand having it all the way on high at the current ambient temp of about 55 degrees.

Also, be aware, there are TWO green/black ground wires in the harness for the grounds to the thermistors. One is for the rear passengar elements and one is for the riders. You have to make sure you cut the right one. On the 2009, it is in the center position of the connector. If you are unsure, leave it alone.

Also, be aware that some of the color codes have on the seat heater wires have change since 2006, but the grounds are still green with a black stripe.

And please, whatever you do, don't use a resistor larger than 20K ohms. You'll be sorry if you do.

Also, be warned that I have not tested this mod in colder temps. It is very possible that the seats could end up getting TOO HOT when the temp drops further. This is another reason why I suggest you use the smallest value resistance possible.

Schematic

This is the common ground for the riders thermistor circuit

OH MY GOD!!!

Resistor installed (I later changed this 20K to a 10K)

All covered up with heat shrink

GL1800 Maintenance Videos - 20 Disc Set

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Dealer/Installer

Follow Me on Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 183 (permalink) Old 11-29-2008, 05:23 PM
Seasoned Member

Thanks Fred for the info. On my 08 the heater on high is just noticeable on high so this is going to be a big help. I haven't looked yet ( will be with all my other winter projects) but I suspect that the 08 wiring will be the same as your 09

Peter
# 111 LIMNCS
2008 Metallic Red ABS Goldwing, Traxxion Full Monty,Lots of other fun stuff
post #3 of 183 (permalink) Old 11-29-2008, 05:48 PM
Seasoned Member

Send a message via AIM to trrn11501
I just wanted to save this thread for future reference.
thanx
tony

2008 Pearl White GL1800 comfort, navi, abs
2001 Suzuki Hayabusa
1996 Honda CBR1000F
1989 Suzuki Savage 650
1988 Yamaha 125
1972 Mini Macal 50

post #4 of 183 (permalink) Old 11-29-2008, 08:30 PM Thread Starter
Supporting Vendor

The way this works is that it increases the resistance of the thermistor value that the control unit reads to determine how much current to apply to the seat elements. By increasing the amount of resistance, it makes the controller think that the seat is colder than it really is. So all you do is add resistance in series with the thermistor. This basically shifts the entire heating curve up higher on all settings. The trick is to only shift it enough to make it warmer, but not so much that you can't run it on the lowest setting on a mildly cool day with it not getting too hot. This is why I choose 10K ohms, as it changes it enough to make it warmer, but not so much that you can't turn it down and run it on low on a 58 degree day and just get a very low level of heat. Also be aware that increasing the resistor means the controller is putting more current into the seat and making your alternator and electrical system work harder. This is another reason to use the lowest value resistor you can. And if you use too large of a resistor, you also run the chance of burning out the heater element or maybe even melting your seat or causing a fire.

And in case you are worried about the wattage of the resistor, I put an ammeter on it, and it hardly even registered. There is very little current that goes through the thermistor circuit, it is just enough to read the value of it. A 1/4 watt resistor is plenty large enough.

By the way, if you want to turn up the heat on the passengers seat too, just add the same size resistor to the other green and black striped ground wire.
kru68 likes this.

Follow Me on Facebook
post #5 of 183 (permalink) Old 11-29-2008, 09:08 PM
Seasoned Member

I can see it now...someone will make this mod with bad eyesight and put a 100K resistor inline instead of a 10K resistor and being riding down the highway with their seat on fire!

Be sure you know the correct color code in case you pull one out of your stash. If you're not sure, go to Radio Shack and buy one or look up the correct color code on the internet.

post #6 of 183 (permalink) Old 11-29-2008, 09:19 PM Thread Starter
Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartman View Post
I can see it now...someone will make this mod with bad eyesight and put a 100K resistor inline instead of a 10K resistor and being riding down the highway with their seat on fire!

Be sure you know the correct color code in case you pull one out of your stash. If you're not sure, go to Radio Shack and buy one or look up the correct color code on the internet.
If you smell smoke coming up from between your legs then you know you messed up.

Follow Me on Facebook
post #7 of 183 (permalink) Old 11-29-2008, 09:32 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred H. View Post
If you smell smoke coming up from between your legs then you know you messed up.

Or you lucked out with a hot date!!!!
post #8 of 183 (permalink) Old 11-29-2008, 09:43 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartman View Post

2007 Goldwing level 2
Dark Metallic Red
Full Traxxion Suspension

DSI #183
post #9 of 183 (permalink) Old 11-30-2008, 12:05 AM
Seasoned Member

Good info, future reference! Thanks Fred, Bartman and The Prez.

#289 on the DARKSIDE [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O' Donnell fat!
post #10 of 183 (permalink) Old 11-30-2008, 06:57 AM
Seasoned Member

Fred, Great info. You are not responsible for this info,but is the harness the same on the 06 Wing? Are the color codes the same but in different locations? Thanks Buzz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page