GL1800Riders Forums banner

August vacation ride

1K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  rocket1lf 
#1 ·
This is my proposed route for my mid-August vacation. Yes, I know that parts of this will be very hot. This will only happen if SWMBO gets sufficient time off to allow the extra miles, otherwise it will just be a run up to Denver for the IBA meeting and then back home. If the stars align, the creek don't rise, and everything else falls into place we will leave early (3 - 4 am) on a Saturday morning and head NW. We have to be in Denver by Wednesday morning but that's the only thing set in stone.

The goal will be to grab OR, WA, ID to fill in the upper left corner of my map, visit Glacier NP, Yellowstone, the Grand Tetons, and then on to Denver. Everything is flexible depending upon time and weather but there obviously won't be a lot of time to stop and smell the roses for the first couple of days.

Any thoughts on what to see, what to avoid, different routes?

Map Atlas Line Ecoregion World

See less See more
#2 ·
West Yellowstone is neat, but gawd is it expensive...

A day and a half in Yellowstone isn't enough - but was okay for the first time we'd been up that way (back in 2010)

We came into Yellowstone thru the north entrance, after staying the night in Billings...headed west by way of Rapid City the night earlier.

A 14 hour day at that time of year (with the sunlight...in June) was really interesting for this ol' desert rat. :lol:

You're missing one of the best roads in the region (as we did as well...) Beartooth Highway takes you into central Wyoming - it's on the short list of roads to ride for me.

Still haven't made up our minds yet on which direction we're headed this year...trip pix for some of where you're headed is here: https://picasaweb.google.com/115618034845260107919/RoadTrip2010

#4 ·
Here's the proposed route...
Yellowstone is off the list unless we're running well ahead of time.

Friday night - Chandler to Kingman
Saturday - Kingman to Ontario OR via 93, 318, 6, 93, I-84
Sunday - Ontario to Whitefish MT via 95 to Lewiston WA to get the state boundry, then east on 12 to Missoula (looks good on the map), I-90, 93
Monday - Whitefish to Glacier NP and then to Teton WY via Going To The Sun Highway, 89, 287, I-15, 69, 287, 87 (we'll make an on-the-fly decision on whether or not to go to Yellowstone), 20
Tuesday - Teton to Teton NP to Denver via 33, 22, 390/Teton Park Rd (along the base of the Tetons), 26, 287, I-80, 287, I-25

Wed/Thu/Fri/Sat in Denver for the IBA meet

Sunday - Denver to Chandler
Monday - back to work (tired, I'm sure)

Not a lot of time to sight-see, and close to 3,500 miles but if we need to cut sections out to make up time that's possible as well.

If anyone is aware of a Must See opportunity along the route, or if there is some part of the route I should definitely avoid, please feel free to post up. Thanks!

#5 ·
Here's the proposed route...
Yellowstone is off the list unless we're running well ahead of time.

Friday night - Chandler to Kingman
Saturday - Kingman to Ontario OR via 93, 318, 6, 93, I-84
Sunday - Ontario to Whitefish MT via 95 to Lewiston WA to get the state boundry, then east on 12 to Missoula (looks good on the map), I-90, 93
Monday - Whitefish to Glacier NP and then to Teton WY via Going To The Sun Highway, 89, 287, I-15, 69, 287, 87 (we'll make an on-the-fly decision on whether or not to go to Yellowstone), 20
Tuesday - Teton to Teton NP to Denver via 33, 22, 390/Teton Park Rd (along the base of the Tetons), 26, 287, I-80, 287, I-25

Wed/Thu/Fri/Sat in Denver for the IBA meet

Sunday - Denver to Chandler
Monday - back to work (tired, I'm sure)

Not a lot of time to sight-see, and close to 3,500 miles but if we need to cut sections out to make up time that's possible as well.

If anyone is aware of a Must See opportunity along the route, or if there is some part of the route I should definitely avoid, please feel free to post up. Thanks!
It would be a shame to be in the area and miss Lolo Pass, you pick up HYW 12 at either Lewiston and run east or at Lolo (just south of Missoula) and run west, it is a must ride like Beartooth. Smart move passing Yellowstone, better scenery and much more enjoyable riding just about everywhere but Yellowstone, it's a zoo. Last time through we couldn't get out fast enough, problem is once you are in Jackson and headed north there is no way around it.

#6 ·
it would be a shame to be in the area and miss lolo pass, you pick up hyw 12 at either lewiston and run east or at lolo (just south of missoula) and run west, it is a must ride like beartooth. .
sunday - ontario to whitefish mt via 95 to lewiston wa to get the state boundry, then east on 12 to missoula (looks good on the map), i-90, 93
;)

Beartooth appears to be a dead end, and unfortunately we don't have the luxury of time to ride it.

#7 ·
;)

Beartooth appears to be a dead end, and unfortunately we don't have the luxury of time to ride it.
I was kinda in a similar situation - weather the night before made me really apprehensive of hitting the road...but again, we were headed into the park.

I *do* want to get near Cody the next time I get up that way...

#8 ·
I guess I didn't zoom in enough to see the rest of the road. It's still too far out of the way for me. I'd have to skip Glacier NP altogether in order to have enough time and still get to Denver by Tue evening. But it sure does look like a great ride.

#9 ·

Missed it...just looked at the map and it looked like you crossed north. It's a beautiful ride.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.