Be careful what you wish for - GL1800Riders
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 01:55 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Be careful what you wish for

As most of you know CA has been in a drought for 5+ yrs and most everybody in the state has been doing a rain dance everyone of those years. Me thinks we danced just a little bit too much. lol The last time I saw rain like this was 20 years ago. We've been having very warm storms and that has added to the excessive amount of rain (water) by melting a lot of the snow pack in the Sierras. Reservoirs and lakes are releasing water and all that water is flooding the homes downstream. Yosemite is a mess with flooding & rock-slides/mudslides. I live in a small farming community (Sanger) and all of the irrigation canals are full and on the verge of overflowing. The ground is saturated and many trees are toppling over. Feast or famine.

Paul... Vietnam Vet, 65/66/67, We're not here for a long time, just a good time!, '04 Durango Red 55,500 smiles, '01 Illusion Red, 167,500 smiles-Sold 01/27/2011, Kwik Kamp Trailer, Patriot Guard Rider,
Central CA.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 01:33 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAWing View Post
As most of you know CA has been in a drought for 5+ yrs and most everybody in the state has been doing a rain dance everyone of those years. Me thinks we danced just a little bit too much. lol The last time I saw rain like this was 20 years ago. We've been having very warm storms and that has added to the excessive amount of rain (water) by melting a lot of the snow pack in the Sierras. Reservoirs and lakes are releasing water and all that water is flooding the homes downstream. Yosemite is a mess with flooding & rock-slides/mudslides. I live in a small farming community (Sanger) and all of the irrigation canals are full and on the verge of overflowing. The ground is saturated and many trees are toppling over. Feast or famine.
We are getting much of your storms here in Utah too. I haven't seen so such snow in several years. The snow report is 200% of normal, if anyone knows what normal is anymore. We like the warmer air from the west too. Yesterday it rained and melted alot of the snow we have on the ground. Now we are looking at flooding problems too. Keep your powder dry Paul.
CAWing likes this.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3 195/55/16 (22,000miles)
Bridgestone Driveguard 195/55R/16
Darksider #1233
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 01:48 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Hard to predict where we will end up when our rainy season is over. Right now we are at 150% of the normal rainfall and the snow-pack is also above average. I have seen these numbers before in Jan. and then Feb. through April all the rain & snow stops and we finish with below average numbers. Sure would be nice if you could predict Mother Nature. On the up side the flowers in Death Valley should be in abundance this year.

Paul... Vietnam Vet, 65/66/67, We're not here for a long time, just a good time!, '04 Durango Red 55,500 smiles, '01 Illusion Red, 167,500 smiles-Sold 01/27/2011, Kwik Kamp Trailer, Patriot Guard Rider,
Central CA.

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 02:15 PM
Seasoned Member

I see on the Internet today that a ski area in CO...Crested Butte Ski Resort....had to close because of TOO much snow. Guess they got more than they were hoping for when it snowed 6' and forced them to close down.

Allen

Michelin PA3 ZP Runflat 17,100 miles
Yokohama Avid ENVigor
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 02:20 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrunner1800 View Post
I see on the Internet today that a ski area in CO...Crested Butte Ski Resort....had to close because of TOO much snow. Guess they got more than they were hoping for when it snowed 6' and forced them to close down.

Allen
Crazy huh. Who would have thunk it. lol The ski resorts in my area are loving this snow right now as they were starving in previous years.

Central CA.

Last edited by CAWing; 01-12-2017 at 02:23 PM.
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 02:25 PM
Seasoned Member

Just saw a post on FB from a friend in S. Lake Tahoe...said they got about 5ft of snow in the last couple days....Way more than I want to see!!

2008-HPNA (RED)
1988 Bunkhouse Trailer/Camper
Darkside #1720

post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 02:29 PM
Seasoned Member

To much snow and then they worry about avalanches ! Hopefully some good will come out of all the rain n snow. The reservoirs and lakes will be full again. Hoover dam was way down couple yrs ago when there. Farmers in valley will use for crops. [b]no matter what - all stay safe !!!
CAWing likes this.

WE ALL GOT TO GO SOMETIME .....ALWAYS TO SOON
FL. PROWLER # 62
DOUBLE DARKSIDER "WONKY" DRIVEGUARD REAR
BT 45 FRONT
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 02:33 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

My daughter lives in Portland OR and she sent me a picture yesterday and they had a ft. of snow at her house which set a record. She works for the courts in Hillsboro and the courts were shut down yesterday due to the snow. I just talked to her and the courts opened at 10 am today and she made it to work ok but the roads were still a mess.

Central CA.
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 02:35 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCLEJOHN View Post
To much snow and then they worry about avalanches ! Hopefully some good will come out of all the rain n snow. The reservoirs and lakes will be full again. Hoover dam was way down couple yrs ago when there. Farmers in valley will use for crops. [b]no matter what - all stay safe !!!
Yes avalanches are a big concern when they start to clear Tioga Pass. I believe one year they had a death when they were clearing Tioga.

Central CA.
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 03:00 PM
Seasoned Member

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAWing View Post
Hard to predict where we will end up when our rainy season is over. Right now we are at 150% of the normal rainfall and the snow-pack is also above average. I have seen these numbers before in Jan. and then Feb. through April all the rain & snow stops and we finish with below average numbers. Sure would be nice if you could predict Mother Nature. On the up side the flowers in Death Valley should be in abundance this year.
If we can get there. Might have to trailer part of the way. We will just watch and see what happens between now and Pres. Day.
CAWing likes this.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3 195/55/16 (22,000miles)
Bridgestone Driveguard 195/55R/16
Darksider #1233

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page