Navi Update on 2006 1800 - Page 2 - GL1800Riders
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-13-2016, 08:50 AM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadianwinglover View Post
Has anyone figured out how to get the navi system updated to current without paying Honda a stupid price of $270? Apparently if you own a Canadian made GL1800, you can't purchase an update directly from Gamin. Garmin sends you to Honda Canada to order the update.

Any advice when you are tech challenged?
My last update came with 2 one from u.s. and one for Canada. I asked on your forum and no one excepted it for free, so I threw it away.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-13-2016, 08:52 AM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingcott View Post
<...>This seems crazy, cross the border and loaded the other card everytime. That just seems nuts, there has to be a better solution than that !!
Nope, not at all crazy...

Physically, not enough memory to hold both sets of map data is the reason.

The better solution is another GPS that has the memory capable of holding all of the North America data.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-13-2016, 10:37 AM
Seasoned Member

What map version is shipping now for '06-'08s? The Garmin web site shows 2014.40, which is probably up to date for late 2013.

Wayne Bengston
Cordelia, CA
2008 GL1800B
2007 BMW F650GS ABS
2016 Triumph Thruxton R

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-13-2016, 10:53 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwthom View Post
Nope, not at all crazy...

The better solution is another GPS that has the memory capable of holding all of the North America data.
I wonder why the data got so much bigger?

Our US '08 and now the Cdn 14's have widely travelled across both countries and have never ran out of the 'mapped' area.

Farmguy - 14 ABS Candy Red
Farmgal - 14 ABS Candy Red

post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-14-2016, 07:39 AM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmguy View Post

Our US '08 and now the Cdn 14's have widely travelled across both countries and have never ran out of the 'mapped' area.
It's not major roads, but things like neighborhood additions and thinks like that that will quickly increase the map data, and would be areas you may never see in your travels.

● "Get busy living, or get busy dying." -Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption 1994 ● ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ ● IBA #50030 ●
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-16-2016, 11:26 AM

Is it just me ???

Sorry to disagree KW, but another GPS ?? Seriously ?? What is the point of having a built in GPS and putting out updates if the better solution is another GPS ?? UNLESS you are suggesting, the better solution would be for Honda to offer up a replacement system. A system capable of handling the data now and for sometime in to the future, at a reasonable price. I think there are a lot of riders out there that believe the price of the latest updates from Honda are not reasonable, I can't imagine what the price of a replacement GPS system would be. ?? BUT that's just me.

QUOTE=kwthom;3571697]Nope, not at all crazy...

The better solution is another GPS that has the memory capable of holding all of the North America data.[/QUOTE]
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-16-2016, 11:45 AM
Seasoned Member

Bummer

Folks with the Honda GPS I feel for you as it is certainly nice having it built right into the bike, but it's not a very user friendly GPS system. Same as the GPS built into my Ford car. I don't use it in my car but instead used my Zumo 660 and now will use my Zumo 595LM.

I am close to upgrading from my 2004 wing to a new model and I will get ABS which will mean I'll have the Honda GPS system on the bike. But I will use the 595 as my go to GPS over the Honda one. Plus free lifetime map updates.

Garmin and Honda (I blame Honda 95%) DO NOT have a very good set up for GPS on the wing. Don't get me wrong, I love my wing that I bought new in 2004 but they miss the boat on the GPS on the bike big time!
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-16-2016, 12:26 PM
Seasoned Member

I wish the Honda Navi System had a MPH reading (since it's about 10% off at 60MPH) and other things my portable GPS units have, but they don't. I bought a used 08 Wing at a great price, a few years ago. It came equipped with the Navi System, which was sorely outdated then. I was one of the people that jumped on the first update Garmin offered. It was a flop and had severe glitches. Some riders were unable to even use the system after the update. Garmin not only refunded the price, but also sent a free update when they figured out what the issue was. I've had great customer service from TomTom and Garmin on my portable GPS units.

All that being said, the updates being offered now are way out of date. Even when they were first put out, the map updates were about a year old then. I just can't justify spending any money on outdated maps. I had used one of my portable GPS units on several trips and there were significant map updates that were missing from my Wing system. I've gone another direction on updating my Wing system now and am running the latest firmware and Garmin map (2017.10), and that will work for me. Still miss the MPH reading and some of the other things, but I can live with it as long as the maps are updated...and will be updated from now on, at no additional cost to me. I would much rather support Garmin and purchased updates from them, if only they had a life-time update package or even a yearly update option that was current.

I use Garmin BaseCamp to select my map area, that way no matter where I'm going the GPS will have the most current map information and I don't have to carry another CF card with extra map areas. For the most part, I just have the upper 48 US States and that works for me. If the maps get bigger, I can select a state or two less, but I don't see that will ever affect needing only one CF card.

2008 Honda Goldwing
Titanium Level 2 GL1800

2007 Honda VFR800
Candy Glory Red Interceptor

Last edited by ICTGhost; 05-16-2016 at 12:42 PM.
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-16-2016, 03:36 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmguy View Post

Lots of new neighborhoods here. I'd guess that is true everywhere. More POIs too.

I've had it run out of mapped roads when I bought mine and even when I got the update a couple of years ago. Major bridge changes and additions. Showed the bike over water with no road. lol.

Some new ramps here didn't show up, and it routed me to old ones that have been gone for years.

When I saw, this year, that the "latest" update for my bike is 2014, I gave up and went an unofficial way to update to the true latest greatest maps. Loses text based POI search, but I can always go to my phone for that.

Honda/Garmin really suck when it comes to updating my Wing's GPS....

Wayne Bengston
Cordelia, CA
2008 GL1800B
2007 BMW F650GS ABS
2016 Triumph Thruxton R
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-27-2016, 12:58 PM
Seasoned Member

just a small further update....you should have firmware version 4.something.... I have 4.8 and I'm reading that 4.9 is out....if you're computer and map savvy, you can have the latest maps on your bike without spending anything.... I currently have 2017.2 on my bike...further, we've discovered the earlier bikes, mines an 06, that the navi won't work correctly with maps that the file size is over 2 gig...the CF card can be larger but maps have to be under 2 gig....ride safe...

Scott
ICTGhost likes this.

2006 Cabernet Red

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page