GL1800Riders Forums banner

CO-145... Delores to Telluride

1K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  Pooch 
#1 ·
I rode the San Juan Skyway loop today out of Montrose. Very scenic, of course... but I was very disappointed in the condition of CO-145 north of Delores.

About halfway between Delores and Rico, and continuing to just south of Telluride... the highway dept has REALLY fell in love with tar snakes. The entire roadway was covered with them for at least a 20-mile run. And when they ended, the roadway was somehow "grooved" with a wavy grain from side-to-side... almost as if the teeth from a backhoe had over hung it's trailer, and dragged grooves into the roadway.

What should've been a fun ride became a half-speed exercise in concentration so I didn't dump the bike!

I realize that the end of the winter season follows with "construction season"... and I did see some of that today. But man, I hope those snakes & grooves aren't the norm.

Anyway, just thought I'd let everyone else know, so they can be prepared.

#3 ·
Being a native of Colorado, unfortunately this is common. They love laying tar snakes. Rediculous sometimes. Sometimes instead of multiple snakes on a really ctacked part of a road they may even lay down a rectangular snake in any size. I've seen 6ft by 6ft size snakes. Worst part is can't tell if it's just a simple asphalt patch, or if it's a tar snake until you're already on it.

#5 ·
Tom, Don't know if you have done 141 North but it's a good ride.
Also head east on 50 to 92. 92 is a great ride also, takes you up to
Crawford. then back west to Delta and loop back to Montrose.

Have a bunch more if you need them. Lol Lisa and I have been there
a few times.

#6 ·
On 92, stop at Pioneer Point and walk a hundred yards or so left and right from the point.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.