Connecticut VIN Verification for Out of State Purchase - GL1800Riders

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-09-2017, 04:17 AM Thread Starter
Contributing Member

Connecticut VIN Verification for Out of State Purchase

Trying to understand the CT DMV requirement for a VIN verification for a motorcycle purchased out of state. It seems you can obtain a VIN verification from a certified emissions testing station but since motorcycles are exempt from emissions, it looks as though I would have to take it to either Wethersfield or Hamden according to the CTDMV documentation. Seeing that the VIN verification is needed for registration, does this mean I have to trailer the bike there? If I had the sellers current registration and my current insurance card, can I ride it up there to get the VIN verified?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-09-2017, 10:00 AM
Seasoned Member

I woulds Call or GO to the CT DMV office near you -Take the paper work with you - Ride the bike & should you have a wreck the damage would be all on the reg owner- Going to the CT DMV -reg the bike in your name (TEMP) if possible to get cert (if) needed) That will allow you to get insurance on the bike in your name.

Of course if you feell lucky you can just ride it up to the shop -just Don't hit or maime anyone or yourself

Upside OF Iran Nuke deal -The world will end soon so I won't miss anything after USA gets NUKED

IBA # 40576

1974 Honda 550
1979 GL 1000
1998 Valkyie
1999 GL 1500
2001 HD Ultra Classic
2002 ABS GL 1800
2006 CVO Ultra Classic SE
2008 ABS L3 GL 1800
2012 ABS L3 GL 1800
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-09-2017, 10:42 AM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hokie View Post
I woulds Call or GO to the CT DMV office near you -Take the paper work with you - Ride the bike & should you have a wreck the damage would be all on the reg owner- Going to the CT DMV -reg the bike in your name (TEMP) if possible to get cert (if) needed) That will allow you to get insurance on the bike in your name.

Of course if you feell lucky you can just ride it up to the shop -just Don't hit or maime anyone or yourself

Assuming the previous owner executed a Bill of Sale between himself and the buyer, as soon as the deal was completed he probably notified his insurance that the bike was sold and to cancel coverage. At the completion of the sale he no longer owns it nor is he responsible for what ever the buyer does with the bike. Hopefully he also pulled his state tags off the bike prior to the buyer taking possession. As part of the sale I would hope the seller produced the title and signed it over to the buyer. All the buyer should need is to take the title, Bill of Sale(both which list the VIN) to the Connecticut DMV or whatever they call the registration office and complete some paperwork and pay the necessary fees and taxes and get a new title in his name.

The OP might want to go to his local dealership and discuss what he needs to do with their finance/registration person. I suspect they can help explain what he needs to do. Of course a call to the CT DMV or a check of their website might provide better answers to his questions rather than this forum.

Harvey
04 GL1800
Ride Safe and Ride Often

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-09-2017, 11:41 AM

Just went thru this last year bought bike from out of state,I had it on trailer went right to a emission center for VIN verification $10.00
not a big deal.It needs to be on trailer since not registered.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-09-2017, 12:54 PM Thread Starter
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleWindow View Post
Just went thru this last year bought bike from out of state,I had it on trailer went right to a emission center for VIN verification $10.00
not a big deal.It needs to be on trailer since not registered.
Yup. Don't see any other solution but trailer so I will start the begging process. I have a neighbor who is taking delivery of a HD Ultra from Florida so we can share the load. Thanks!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-09-2017, 01:13 PM
Seasoned Member

Garage
I've wrestled with similar issues in several states. Not CT. Some states have nice provisions for getting it done, others don't let reality interfere with their process.

No seller in his right mind will cover you beyond where you take possession, and even if you think they are they probably aren't, or aren't good for it.

The nut roll some states want you to go through, if you want to do it with the i's dotted and the t's crossed, typically means you wind up doing some sort of temporary registration to get the thing legal to the point where you drive it around to finish the real registration. Extra cost, hassle, and process.

The alternatives are basically trailer it through the process so it's never driven until you get it all done, or drive it before you dot every i and cross every t.

Player's choice. If you decide to cut a corner, note you can probably insure the bike before you register it. So if you are driving it to get it registered, you might be guilty of no registration but at least you're not uninsured.

This is my signature block. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

My signature block is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life....
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-09-2017, 01:39 PM Thread Starter
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Bird View Post

Player's choice. If you decide to cut a corner, note you can probably insure the bike before you register it. So if you are driving it to get it registered, you might be guilty of no registration but at least you're not uninsured.
Thats exactly the issue. You can insure a vehicle and not register but not vice versa and not without the VIN verification. I built a Cobra replica and had to go through a composite vehicle inspection process here. Had to go back three times on trailer 45 minutes away and all because of poor documentation of requirements on the part of the state. Had to go to the back of the line each time and took three months. What a freakin nightmare.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page