Gold Wing BMW K1200LT Comparison - GL1800Riders
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-19-2009, 09:44 PM Thread Starter
Gold Wing BMW K1200LT Comparison

I've had my Wing now for a few months and 4,000 miles. It replaced a 2005 BMW K1200LT. I thought it might be interesting to some of you guys/gals to see what some of the differences are and where one bike might be a little better than the other, for me anyway.

Since both of these bikes are probably the only real long-distance luxury machines available on the market, they both come with just about everything under the sun. They compare well against each other but there are differences. After owning and riding both I believe I'm in a decent position to review and compare the machines. I hope everyone who reads this long post finds it worth their time.

SIZE MATTERS - The BMW sits high and short riders need not apply. Unfortunately, once a tall rider mounts the machine, he finds that the foot pegs are too high and placed too far back for any long distance comfort. I had to buy lowered pegs in order to get comfortable on the bike. The Gold Wing is comfortable for pretty much any size rider and I have no problems with peg location.

SEATS - I had trouble getting comfortable on the BMW but after a few thousand miles it became acceptable. Same with the Wing. I think anyone who owns a new Wing should give the seat a chance to break in before you spend any serious money buying a replacement.

FEATURES - Both bikes come with heated seats, heated grips, stereos, cruise control, etc. The Wing has the better sound system if you have the premium sound. It is much better than the sound system on the BMW. The BMW has a power windshield and it is obviously more convenient than the manually adjustable windshield on the Wing. However, when I was riding the BMW I rarely adjusted the windshield. I think once you have it set in the right spot, chances are you won't be changing it much at all. Therefore, the manual adjustment on the Wing is fine.

However, the BMW wins in the features catagory with its hydraulic centerstand. It is a feature that comes standard and I used it almost on a daily basis. Actually, I was looking to buy another BMW partly because of the convenience of the power centerstand but in '08 they were only available in black and I didn't want black. Also, a buddy of mine owns an '05 Wing and it has been an enjoyable trouble free machine. I thought the Wing was worth a try and I'm glad I bought it.

RIDE - The BMW has better cornering clearance and is a sportier machine. The Wing can be flicked through the twisties and can be quite sporting but you have to work it a little more and clearance becomes a factor. However, the Wing has a great ride and inspires confidence over time on the machine.

ENGINE - Motorcycle Consumers Reports had a comparison back in 2005 between these two bikes. They had almost identical 0-60 and quarter-mile times. They were 1 mph apart in top speed. But don't believe what you read in all these magazines. The Wing had many more horses, much more torque and is just plain faster in every regard. The engine never struggles and power is available at all rpm's. The BMW can be lugged if you don't pay attention to the rpm's all the time. It needs to be ridden in the upper band of the rev-counter and this doesn't always translate into an enjoyable ride, with more shifting required. The Wing wins this easily.

TRANSMISSION - The BMW shifts much easier than the Wing. It snicks into any gear at any time with almost no "clunking". The Wing clunks from time to time. It has a sweet spot where it will snick right into the next gear also, but the sweet spot is small and you can expect a little clunking with the Wing. No need to respond by telling me your Wings transmission never clunks.... I'm sure it's me and not the bike, but I never had anything but smooth shifts on the BMW. Therefore, in my book the BMW has the better transmission.

BRAKES - Both bikes have great brakes, but ABS is standard on the BMW and the BMW also has power-assisted brakes, just like in a car. I have ABS brakes on my Wing and they are great, but the power-assisted ABS brakes on the BMW were better.

MISC. - The BMW gets much better gas mileage, but requires premium fuel. I guess that makes it a push. The Wing is the better long-distance tourer. I only say this after having ridden both bikes over distances that were between 1,000 and 2,000 miles spanning three or four days. But I can't imagine the BMW being more comfortable for crossing the country. I think the Wing may be the better really long distance touring bike for overall comfort.

Both are great bikes but at this point I don't think I would trade the Wing for a BMW anytime soon.
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-19-2009, 09:59 PM
Seasoned Member
Thanks for the comparo. Are they still making the LT? I heard they had stopped.

Dan Moore
St Charles, MO
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-19-2009, 10:19 PM
Nicely Done.

Objective and observational.
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-19-2009, 10:21 PM
Seasoned Member
Thumbs up Wing vs LT

You are right on I also had them both and put alot of miles on each. A few more things that stick out... The head lights, Wing wins night and day.
Balance... the LT is a bit top heavy
The seat on the LT is a nut cracker on long trips

LT headed seat and grips are better and also I really
The Wind sheild and moved the postion more than a
couple of times.

Liked the LT but Love the Wing Jimbo Dean
In a hurry goin nowhere
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-19-2009, 10:26 PM
Seasoned Member
Iv'e never rode a BMW and have often wondered. I still would like to get on one and find out for myself. I really enjoyed your comparison, good job.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-19-2009, 10:34 PM
nice writeup
I think cost of ownership is higher on the BMW based on 2 3 or 4 years of riding
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-19-2009, 10:37 PM
Seasoned Member

Thank you for all the information about the bikes.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-19-2009, 11:14 PM
Seasoned Member
I bought my Wing new last year. I was very close to getting the LT. I rode it and I liked it. The electric center stand and windshield systems are impressive. I also like the fact that it is a BMW...sort of exotic and like the looks of the beemer emblem (as crazy as that may sound).

I choose the Wing over the LT primarily because I liked the larger engine, more dealerships, and some of my friends have them. The network support seems to be considerably larger also, more forums, more after market accessories, more GWRRA members / chapters, etc.

But, I still like the BMW LT. For me, it is #2 on my list.

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-19-2009, 11:20 PM
Seasoned Member
I owned an LT for 2 1/2 years and pretty much agree with your assessment of the two bikes. A significant difference for me has been cost of maintenance. I don't do my own maintenance and the LT cost me about double to have scheduled maintenance done than for the Wing. I think the number of independent mechanics around for the Wing keep dealers prices down. And, parts are less expensive.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-19-2009, 11:23 PM
Seasoned Member
I too have owned both. I agree with the points raised above. Also the point about the Wing having better lighting.

I would add though that the BMW's paint finish seems a lot tougher. The Wing marks/scratches easily.

Regarding the windshield, I found the power shield on the BMW to be a bigger plus than the original poster thought. I would adjust the shield to see over it in town, and once on the highway would adjust it on the fly so I would look through cut the wind for my wife. The wing could really use that.

I was happy with the BMW LT, and am very happy with the Wing.

One other note...there are far more Wings around in North America, which provides a critical mass advantage. Dealers, parts, clubs, accessories, yada.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page