Harbor Freight Trailer - GL1800Riders

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-11-2010, 09:18 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Harbor Freight Trailer

Anyone use the Harbor Freight Haul Master Trailer:

I was thinking of getting my feet wet with a trailer, and thought this would be a good introduction, with out the killer price.

600 Lb. Capacity 78" Tag-Along Trailer

Item # 66771
Add 16.6 cubic feet of storage space to your car, truck or motorcycle. This lightweight hauler is streamlined for maximum fuel savings.
  • 600 lb. load capacity for automotive and 200 lb. maximum capacity for motorcycle use
  • Leaf spring suspension system
  • Heavy duty 4.80 x 8" tires
  • Lockable shell includes two keys and has two additional side latches
  • Self-assisted hydraulic struts for easy lid opening
  • 55 MPH maximum towing speed
  • DOT certified
  • Overweight Item subject to $89.95 additional Freight Charge
Includes coupler, safety chain, wiring harness, trailer light kit, and license plate holderBed dimensions: 41-3/8" L x 34-1/4" W x 3-1/2" HShell dimensions: 47-1/2" L x 38" W x 16" HTongue dimensions: 49-3/4" L x 2-1/2" W x 1-7/8" H x 14 gauge thickUniversal 1-7/8" ball couplerOverall dimensions: 78" L x 44-1/2" W x 38" H
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1919.jpg
Views:	380
Size:	24.1 KB
ID:	7334  

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Bill Sivori
Aviation Consultant
Captain Hawker 800XPI/400XP
Sikorsky 76
Iron Shields LE MC
2008 Goldwing
2005 Electra Glide FLHT Police Issue
1982 CB900 Custom
2010 Forrest River Toy Hauler
God Bless My Marine
Semper Fi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-11-2010, 09:29 PM
Seasoned Member

Jetjockey

You need to post this on the MC trailer board for a better answer. Several board menbers have bought this trailer . . If you buy one you want to repack the wheel bearing.
thomas
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-11-2010, 09:34 PM
Seasoned Member

That's probably a good starter trailer. However, I'm not a fan of trailers that have deep tops. It means you have to stack your load and hope nothing's in the way when you close the top. I've always had trailers with tall sides and shallow tops. Even with these types of trailers, when you open them up sitting on the side of an interstate, and the winds blowing and big trucks going by at 70mph, you have to be really careful of things blowing away. I can't imagine what that would be like with the HF trailer.

Keep On Tourin'
The Wanderer
2005 Pearl Yellow GL1800A / 2005 Pearl Blue 1940 Ford
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-11-2010, 10:02 PM
Seasoned Member

My first trailer was a harbor frieght, with a sears cartop carrier on it for dry storage, from what I can see, mine is a little larger.
if you and your S.O. plan on anytime out camping it will be to small. for a road trip in a hotel or with friends, or family it will be fine.
many who do not pull trailers will give you a lot of comments, most are negitive, but, consider the soure. they may wear shoes, but not yours.
I still have that trailer, but I also now have a bushtec. Man what a difference!
for the money you wont go wrong.

The one thing that I found out the hard way is the liscene plate bracket. if it it mounted in a way that lets part of the plate to stick out beyand the tire....it will catch wind over 60mph and start the trailer fishtailing.....mount the plate in the middle of the trailer and avoid that experience.

get it and enjoy it

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
01 Hot Rod Yellow
IBA # 23726
Darkside #409
Kumo195-55-16
Bushtec Turbo II

It's not the destination, It's the journey.
may yours be safe and satisfying
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-11-2010, 11:34 PM
Rider Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer View Post
That's probably a good starter trailer. However, I'm not a fan of trailers that have deep tops. It means you have to stack your load and hope nothing's in the way when you close the top. I've always had trailers with tall sides and shallow tops. Even with these types of trailers, when you open them up sitting on the side of an interstate, and the winds blowing and big trucks going by at 70mph, you have to be really careful of things blowing away. I can't imagine what that would be like with the HF trailer.
Who in the **** would do something that dangerous? Get off the freeway then mess with your stuff in a safer environment.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-12-2010, 12:38 AM
Seasoned Member

That looks almost identical to the trailer manufactured by Piggybacker.

http://www.piggybacker.com/

'06 Dark Red ABS
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-12-2010, 02:43 PM
Seasoned Member

Here's what my friend did for a simple and inexpensive, but very functional trailer:

http://venture.eurekaboy.com/stingertrailer.htm

My Goldwing page

Darksider #223

My trips

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page