Has anyone tried this speedoDRD correction device? - Page 5 - GL1800Riders

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 54 (permalink) Old 10-07-2011, 08:05 PM
Seasoned Member

I just installed mine. It took about an hour to install and set-up. My speedo was off 7.1% and my odo was off 4.5%. I set it up as -5%. This should give me an error on the speedo of 2.1% and .5% on the odo. At 65 the speedo should read about 66 and the odo will be off about +.5 miles every 100 miles. Before I changed it the speedo read 70 and the GPS read 65 and the odo read 104.5 miles and the GPS read 100 miles. If it works out the way I think it should, I can live with these numbers. I'll let you know how it works out on my next ride.

If you got to ride, ride in style.

2008 Thoroughbred Stallion
Candy Apple Red
1992 Pearl White Bushtec Turbo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 54 (permalink) Old 10-08-2011, 02:38 AM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Fire View Post
What's wrong with the speedohealer brand?

Plug n play with top speed recall, even after turning the bike off.

I applaud you efforts but was just curious if your unit was better for some reason vs yellow box or speedohealer.
Absolutely nothing wrong with the other brands. The reason is, it is less expensive.

https://www.motomummy.com/store/prod...roductid=18212
post #43 of 54 (permalink) Old 10-08-2011, 05:59 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocket1lf View Post
I just installed mine. It took about an hour to install and set-up. My speedo was off 7.1% and my odo was off 4.5%. I set it up as -5%. This should give me an error on the speedo of 2.1% and .5% on the odo. At 65 the speedo should read about 66 and the odo will be off about -.5 miles every 100 miles. Before I changed it the speedo read 70 and the GPS read 65 and the odo read 104.5 miles and the GPS read 100 miles. If it works out the way I think it should, I can live with these numbers. I'll let you know how it works out on my next ride.

Here's the latest. I set the SpeedoDRD for a -5% error. I went for a 100 mile ride today. This is a short test, but it confirmed my calculations for the errors I would get. The speedo now says 70mph and the GPS says 69mph. The trip meter now says 99.5 miles and the GPS says 100miles. Seems like the right hand engineer at mother Honda that programed the computer for the speedo didn't know he was screwing up more than the left hand engineer that programed the odo. I could have gotten the correct speed and mileage if they were off the same percentage, but they weren't. Speedo is now off about +1.4% and the odo is off by -.5%. I can sure live with these numbers.

If you got to ride, ride in style.

2008 Thoroughbred Stallion
Candy Apple Red
1992 Pearl White Bushtec Turbo

post #44 of 54 (permalink) Old 10-31-2011, 08:43 PM
Seasoned Member

Installed one today

I read the posts and thought I could tackle this seemly easy installation with no problems. After hooking up the SpeedoDRD device under the right fairing pocket, I could not get the led light to blink. Sunday morning I emailed 12o'clocklabs and much to my shock, Brooks answered me Sunday AM...

He convinced me I had the wrong circuit ( I had it hooked to the Fuel injection) and walked me through several test procedures. I finally found the right plug after two previous plug attempts. There are two identical plugs (motor shut off) and speedometer in the lower section behind the air vent tube. Of course, I tried the motor shut off plug first!

BTW, unlike others here, I had to almost completely take off the shelter to get at the connections.

I can't say enough about the tech support from 12 oclock labs. Brooks is very responsive and has considerable patience...
post #45 of 54 (permalink) Old 10-31-2011, 08:48 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08WIwing View Post
Absolutely nothing wrong with the other brands. The reason is, it is less expensive.

https://www.motomummy.com/store/prod...roductid=18212
I agree. The speedoDRD works like a charm is extremely small, weatherproof and completely programable .

I installed it this past weekend.

Jeff...
post #46 of 54 (permalink) Old 11-01-2011, 10:37 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveo View Post
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=34284

Have any experience with this one? It looked like a good deal, and there is a youtube instructions on how to program it. If you've installed it, please give your opinion about it.

Thanks!

Daveo

I have one on my CBR1100XX and can say that it was pretty simple to program.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
2008 GL1800
2012 CBR1000RR
post #47 of 54 (permalink) Old 11-02-2011, 08:06 AM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe In Calif View Post
Those devices can and will be off, I would not consider them accurate, A GPS is the only way to really check your speed, My Garmin GPS is different than those road side units sometimes show. I put a 70 series tire on the rear ans my 08 speedo is right on with my GPS, for me that is the easiest fix.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Fire View Post
What's wrong with the speedohealer brand?

Plug n play with top speed recall, even after turning the bike off.

I applaud you efforts but was just curious if your unit was better for some reason vs yellow box or speedohealer.
Not meant to be snide but any of the speed correction boxes look like a solution looking for a problem. If you really want to know your speed buy a used 2610 GPS, mount it above the dash and run it on the summary page. That way you have a large digital speed read out even my old eyes can read and complete trip info. Cheaper, better, and much easier to install.

Bubba1 & Ms.Bubba aka Ken & Pat
IBA Member 33312
'08 Titanium ABS, 06 VTX 1300S, V500LT

There are no simple answers to complex problems, if there were, it wouldn't be a problem.

"Opinions without knowledge are shameful and ugly things" Plato

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #48 of 54 (permalink) Old 12-11-2016, 03:03 PM
Contributing Member

Garage
Any chance anyone has a link to pictures or a video of how to remove the right side fairing? I haven't had to take mine off yet and would like to make sure I don't mess up the fairings on removal. Thanks in advance!

Carl
Lots of sport bikes, a few cruisers, and it's down to an
'08 Wing
'09 R1
post #49 of 54 (permalink) Old 12-11-2016, 03:22 PM
JW.
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Biker 1 View Post
Have noticed the top speed thing. What purpose is that. What is the need?
So the cops can tell how fast you've been going when they pull you over!!
post #50 of 54 (permalink) Old 12-11-2016, 05:34 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Any chance anyone has a link to pictures or a video of how to remove the right side fairing? I haven't had to take mine off yet and would like to make sure I don't mess up the fairings on removal. Thanks in advance!

Fred Harmonds DVD set shows it all in there.

--
Gordon

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page