Healing time after Carpal Tunnel surgery? - GL1800Riders

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-09-2010, 10:26 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Healing time after Carpal Tunnel surgery?

On Oct. 10th I had open hand Carpal Tunnel surgery. After 2 months I would have expected the internal swelling to go down and the general weakness to mitigate. There is still cramping in the large muscles at the base of the thumb and outer part of the hand. It hurts to grip the handle of the exercise bike, riding is out of the question. There is a swelling along side of the scar under the skin that is very tender.

To those that have had this type of surgery, is this normal? How long before you felt able to ride? Was there exercises that helped?

I've been back to the doctor 3 times since the surgery and he says all my complaints are a normal part of the healing process.

"The worst of all fears is the fear of living.", Theodore Roosevelt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-09-2010, 10:55 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiYoSilver View Post
On Oct. 10th I had open hand Carpal Tunnel surgery. After 2 months I would have expected the internal swelling to go down and the general weakness to mitigate. There is still cramping in the large muscles at the base of the thumb and outer part of the hand. It hurts to grip the handle of the exercise bike, riding is out of the question. There is a swelling along side of the scar under the skin that is very tender.

To those that have had this type of surgery, is this normal? How long before you felt able to ride? Was there exercises that helped?

I've been back to the doctor 3 times since the surgery and he says all my complaints are a normal part of the healing process.
I had the less invasive arthroscoptic CP surgery 2 years ago. I didn't encounter the swelling and tenderness you mentioned, but it took quite a while for strength and flexibility to return. I also still have twinges, especially when I push myself off the floor with my hand after working on the bike. Overall, it was worth it as the numbness is gone and I can hold the handlebar grip.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-09-2010, 11:11 PM
Seasoned Member

You may have an issue. I'd get a 2nd opinion and fairly soon. I know all people/patients/surgeons/surgeries can/are different.
I had the old style (open) surgery done about 20 years ago. I had moderate-to-severe incapacitation on my left hand/wrist. 5 minutes of using keyboard and it took 45+ minutes for the hand to quit hurting and "wake up". Went numb clear to the elbow!
I had the surgery done on a Thursday morning, went home, off Fri, Sat, Sun. Went back to work Monday. No big deal, right? Well, at the time I was a career firefighter (Asst Chief) running a shift and still had to perform subordinate duties as required--actual work--instead of standing around running the show. My surgeon told me "no restrictions--just don't do it if it hurts." I had no actual issues as a result of the surgery, have not had a recurrance. In the rest of my career I had several subordinates that had the surgery and I don't recall any of them being off more than 3-4 weeks and that was an extreme case. I think I'd get 'er looked at! Just my 2c...

Firedog
District Chief, Ret
Fire Protection USAF

Kickin' Ass to Save Yours...

250 Years of Tradition Unimpeded by Progress

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-09-2010, 11:25 PM
Seasoned Member

HiYoSilver, I had both wrists done at the same time in 1981. I was able to use a knife & fork for supper that night in the hospital. I was shuffling cards playing solitaire before the braces and sutures were removed.

Before the surgery, the doctor warned me that the procedure might be a failure and permanent loss of my hands was a possibility. I agree with Firedog, get a 2nd opinion; but realize you could have ended up worse. It was elective surgery.

Ventura Chuck
San Buenaventura, CA
2005 GL1800A
Candy Black Cherry
GWTA
www.ciwings.com
AMA Life Member
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-10-2010, 12:23 AM
Seasoned Member

I had the left hand done Dec.1, one year ago. I had the incision in the palm down toward the wrist. I wore a brace for a couple weeks and had to be easy on the incision for the first month. I had a little discomfort in the palm area once in while but the finger numbness and hand going to sleep were cured. A year after the surgery I'm having no problems and very happy with the results.

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-10-2010, 12:44 AM
Seasoned Member

I've had both hands done in which the surgeon used the open method in the palm of my hands. Did the worse one first - right, was off work for 30 days as my job required a lot of writing and typing. After 30 days, had the left one operated on. Used coco butter, I think with vitamin A to rub on the incision to reduce scar tissue. Hands weak for about 2 wks but after that went back to using as before although tender for a month or so. Did not have any pain from the moment I came to from either surgery other then a little bit around the incision site. Had the surgeries in 2001 and pain free since.

2008 Titanium Goldwing CSC Trike,
2006 Honda Rebel
2009 Aluma MCT Trailer
Work & Play Toy Hauler

Wife still cooking,
How much better can it get?

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-10-2010, 12:50 AM
AK Oldman

Firedog and Ventura Chuck sure didn't get the same procedure I had. Both of my wrist were done in 06, about 30 days apart from one another. I should have waited 6 weeks between them. I was set up with my first physical therapy appointment before the surgery so they could take strength measurements for comparison purposes. I was in for PT about a week following the surgery and kept it up for 3 or 4 months. I was going to PT 3 times a week and doing exercises they gave me at home as well. At the 2 month point I was about where you say you are. Now, at the four year mark, I still get some pain at the base of the thumbs now n then.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-10-2010, 01:07 AM
Seasoned Member

I've had both wrists done at different times, different recovery times on each one. (Different surgeons too.) It may well depend on both how severe your carpal tunnel was, and how good your surgeon was. Don't rush it, if you do, you will regret it.

"We have given you a Republic. If you can keep it." - Ben Franklin

"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretence of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-10-2010, 01:24 AM
Seasoned Member

Time

A lot of depends on how old you are, the older you are the longer it takes as a rule.

Education is not necessarily an indication of intelligence.

2005 GL1800
1986 Venture Royale
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-10-2010, 01:53 AM
Seasoned Member

I had it done last year. I kept putting it off, trying to make it until the offseason but ended up having to do it anyway. I was hurting so bad I was begging the Dr. to do it yesterday. Had pain up through my arm and shoulder all the way to the back of my head.
Went to work after about 4 days. I had quite a bit of pain but made a 5500 mile trip about a month later. Quite a bit of pain for a couple of months. Took about 6 months to get all my strength back but it's fine now and I would do it again in a heartbeat.

Past bikes.

72 Honda CB350
81 Yamaha Seca 750
2000 Shadow
2001 VW Trike

Now
05 Goldwing
05 VTX1300R
Darksider #278
'07 Timeout XL1800 trailer
'09 Timeout Camper

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page