GL1800Riders Forums banner

The 2014 Goldwing

54K views 85 replies 55 participants last post by  moh58 
#1 ·
Although Honda has been developing the next generation Goldwing since before the 2001 was introduced the corporate reaction to "new threats" to their market dominance should impact the final product (a little). If the 2014 development is anything like the GL1800 development the motorcycle is already pretty much set. I think the "2012" has just enough new trinkets to get by till the next generation Wing.

Like the CB750K and the GL1800(A) the "Next Big Thing" should be extraordinarily interesting, to say the least. The new BMW 1600 is a great bike no doubt, but I think its effect on the development of the new Goldwing will be about as much as adding a deck chair to the Titanic.

There will be a number of unique engineering features, along with new fluff stuff. The new electronics should be groundbreaking. But the engine will be the big star.

I would not be even mildly surprised if we see a 2000cc flat 8 (250 cc per cylinder like the 1500) or a 2400 cc engine (300 cc per cylinder like the 1200 and 1800). After all, that old six cylinder has been around since 1988. Six cylinders, whether opposed flat or in line have been around a looooong time, no matter how you feed them or let them breathe. Now 8 cylinders is a different deal altogether. I wouldn't put it past those engineers at Honda.

I wouldn't be surprised but I sure would like it, a lot! I think Honda will keep on singing that old Rodger Miller song. What was the name of that old tune again?;)

See less See more
#32 ·
#35 ·
Here's my wish list
1. Senors that light up on the mirrors or dash when a car is approaching or in your blind spot.
2. A sub woofer in the truck
3. Higher gas mileage. 35-40 mph for a motorcycle just sucks. Heck, make it a diesel and it'll sound like a Harley
4. Massage rollers in the seats for the longriders.
5. A windshield wiper like in Japan.

#36 ·
Here's a concept...

What if the GPS was a built in Android based tablet?

It would allow people to modify it at will and upgrade at any time.

Great idea. I've always thought the GPS should come without a screen. It should be fairly small, and have a USB or Firewire connection to the bike.

The bike should have a built in LCD, or better yet... a heads up display on the windshield.

This way is would be fairly easy to update the GPS via your home computer, and would also make it cheaper to replace if something went wrong. You wouldn't be tossing a good GPS just because the screen is bad, and vice versa. If a cool new version of a GPS comes out, just buy it and plug it in.

Now, if they really were thinking, the GPS would have a weather overlay on the map if desired. You could also lower the price by having businesses pay for search hits, the same way Google makes their money. Search for the closest gas station, and the local Pak N Sak gets an eBill for a nickle when you pull in and it triggers a hit.

#38 ·
The cost? Whos going to be able to afford one. Dont forget the 6 speed trans or the automatic transmission.:shrug:

#39 ·
Darn you, I now have that playing in the background while crusing the net.

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

#40 ·
Diesel

Why not engineer a diesel Gold Wing? And in case anyone here knows me I am not making this suggestion because I once filled my GL1500 with diesel.

It may seem crazy but diesel is widely available, far more efficient that gasoline, relatively clean burning. Where I lived in Spain I'd say 75% of the passenger cars are diesel. Engines seem to last forever, have less maintenance (so I am told, I am not a mechanic). I know there are some performance issues but those seem to be solvable.

#41 ·
Great idea. I've always thought the GPS should come without a screen. It should be fairly small, and have a USB or Firewire connection to the bike.

The bike should have a built in LCD, or better yet... a heads up display on the windshield.

This way is would be fairly easy to update the GPS via your home computer, and would also make it cheaper to replace if something went wrong. You wouldn't be tossing a good GPS just because the screen is bad, and vice versa. If a cool new version of a GPS comes out, just buy it and plug it in.

Now, if they really were thinking, the GPS would have a weather overlay on the map if desired. You could also lower the price by having businesses pay for search hits, the same way Google makes their money. Search for the closest gas station, and the local Pak N Sak gets an eBill for a nickle when you pull in and it triggers a hit.
Well, it seems to me that if it was engineered with USB ports, preferably well protected, then pluggin in an XM reciever or a Cellular radio would be logical upgrades. The Android OS would just beg for people to throw together everything from custom screens to programs using every concievable and a few inconcievable features.

As for the seperate screen, I suppose they could set it us so that the screen was a seperate part, and by pulling the facade off, it could be unbolted and replaced if damaged.

There are two basic problems I can see with Honda doing this.

First, after a while, if we kept adding features and capabilities, all we really have is the world's coolest casemod. I mean how long before we're swapping out the guts, adding adhoc networks, etc etc. I don't know if Honda wants to go down that road. (Pun intended)

Second, I've read where hackers have successfully managed to hack into a car's engine computer using the wireless signal between the TPS and the main computer. Now, admittedly their ability to do anything was fairly limited, though they did eventually remotely fry the unit. However, if we start throwing in a Linux OS, it's only a matter of time before someone gets bored and tries to do something stupid like activate the ABS or deploy the airbag while driving down the road. And it may not be the guy riding the bike who tries it.

I do like the idea of being able to update the OS and the programming at will. Especially if the main computer only monitors systems and does not control them.

So we could actually run a second updatable system for actual engine and system control, and if it had a way of automatically reflashing the system if it detected a fault, or better yet had a failover system that was set at factory default settngs.

I'm actually kicking this around as I type, not all of it going to make sense...

#42 ·
The cost? Whos going to be able to afford one. Dont forget the 6 speed trans or the automatic transmission.:shrug:
Actually, the cost shouldn't be that bad. The cost of a Android tablet with GPS is comparable to a Garmin unit, and waterproofing is about the same.

The additional stuff is pretty, cheep other than engineerign it all to go together. I mean, seriously, a sixth gear is not exactly something that has never been done before.

#44 ·
The new electronics should be groundbreaking. But the engine will be the big star.

I would not be even mildly surprised if we see a 2000cc flat 8 (250 cc per cylinder like the 1500) or a 2400 cc engine (300 cc per cylinder like the 1200 and 1800). After all, that old six cylinder has been around since 1988. Six cylinders, whether opposed flat or in line have been around a looooong time, no matter how you feed them or let them breathe. Now 8 cylinders is a different deal altogether. I wouldn't put it past those engineers at Honda.

I wouldn't be surprised but I sure would like it, a lot! I think Honda will keep on singing that old Rodger Miller song. What was the name of that old tune again?;)
I'm getting ready to purchase my first GoldWing and when you mentioned the possibility of an 8-cylinder engine, that was MUSIC TO MY EARS!!! :yes1: could just imagine how cool an 8-cylinder GoldWing would sound, especially with a pair of aftermarket slip-on exhaust sections! While a Harley may sound nice, a GoldWing with the sound of a V-8 would sound even better- and definitely be more reliable at the same time!

Of course, the 1800 engine is a proven powerplant and many purists may not want to see Honda deviate from that arrangement.

#46 ·
Be very careful what you wish for. Honda's profit margin on the Goldwing is fairly small right now and anything at all that is added will increase the price as well. I saw enough of a price increase on the 2012 model that I may seriously consider something else as my next touring machine. Price increases must be met with increases of disposable income, otherwise sales will fall dramatically and that is not Hondas goal so I wouldn't look for much in breakthrough innovation to the 1800 for quite a long time.

#47 ·
I would like simple improvements

I still cannot understand why Honda doesn't provide lighting inside the trunk, bags and glove boxes. Even econobox cars have this much.

Also, Bluetooth has proven itself valuable for today's phones, etc.

I don't want more than six cylinders and not another pound of weight. Today's 800 pound motorcycle is extreme already and a larger engine will surely increase total weight and make handling that much more difficult, especially at low speeds.

#48 ·
My wishlist, currently...

(In no particular order)

Electric windshield
Top loading bags
6th gear (real overdrive, if I could pass gas in 6th it doesn't qualify)
Refrigerated/heated Cup holder (I'm working on the design, but it's too big right now)
Voice activated GPS (mainly I want ot be able to check for gas stations, resturants, motels, etc on route)
Bluetooth integration for headsets, cellphone, etc...
Adjustable seat hight
Brighter GPS screen (would settle for non-glare or better shelf over it)
Bigger trunk (It should hold two full face helmets)
Aux input for GPS screen (Want to mount FLIR on faring, but there are an infinite number of uses)
Distance to empty gauge
Third trip meter
More complete information available on GPS (avg mph, distance from start, distance as crow flies, bearing to destination or origin, altitude, rate of climb. It would be nice if it could all be offloaded to a flash drive with engine data, too.)
Wider base on kick stand with a few degrees more lean
Voltage meter
Outlet in the trunk

What follows is just crazy talk...

Optional turbo.
Ground lighting to help find a decent place to park or find that damn screw you just dropped.
Onstar like system for emergency rescue.
FRS integration instead of the ancient CB radio.
All above plus cold A/C air conditioning for the hot days

#49 ·
Well, I don't know where you guys get your information, but I heard the new Gold Wing was going to have 2,400cc, longidudinal, three cylinder engine with 6 speeds, top opening bags and a butt load of accessories. No, Wait, that's the Triumph Rocket Touring! :shrug:

Land vehicle Motorcycle Vehicle Motor vehicle Cruiser

#50 ·
New HONDA with most of the features you've requested is here ...

BIGGER WINDSHIELD
BETTER HEATING AND COOLING
MORE LUGGAGE SPACE
MORE POWER ... 140 HP !!!
SMOOTHER SHIFTING
BETTER SUSPENSION
LESS WIND BUFFETING
BETTER SOUND SYSTEM
MORE COMFORTABLE SEATING
BETTER SAFETY ... SIX AIR BAGS !!!
LOTS OF DRINK HOLDERS
BETTER GPS
STANDARD ABS WITH BETTER BRAKES
DARK SIDE TIRES AS STANDARD !!!

... all this and more ...........

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Honda Motor vehicle

#51 ·
If they would spend the money and engineering time to get all of the bugs worked out of the electronics, install more quality switches along with developing a set of higher mileage run-flat tires with the tire manufacturer, I would consider it a new generation Gold Wing. There's nothing wrong with the current engine technology. If they were to do anything with the engine, it should be something to improve foot clearance. If anyone can't go quickly and fast enough on approximately 118 HP with the power to weight ration of a GL1800, you need to be riding a crotch rocket.

The only significant change I would like to see is an independently lubricated transmission using a heavier oil and re-designed gear technology.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.