The 2014 Goldwing - GL1800Riders

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 86 (permalink) Old 05-10-2011, 03:46 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

The 2014 Goldwing

Although Honda has been developing the next generation Goldwing since before the 2001 was introduced the corporate reaction to "new threats" to their market dominance should impact the final product (a little). If the 2014 development is anything like the GL1800 development the motorcycle is already pretty much set. I think the "2012" has just enough new trinkets to get by till the next generation Wing.

Like the CB750K and the GL1800(A) the "Next Big Thing" should be extraordinarily interesting, to say the least. The new BMW 1600 is a great bike no doubt, but I think its effect on the development of the new Goldwing will be about as much as adding a deck chair to the Titanic.

There will be a number of unique engineering features, along with new fluff stuff. The new electronics should be groundbreaking. But the engine will be the big star.

I would not be even mildly surprised if we see a 2000cc flat 8 (250 cc per cylinder like the 1500) or a 2400 cc engine (300 cc per cylinder like the 1200 and 1800). After all, that old six cylinder has been around since 1988. Six cylinders, whether opposed flat or in line have been around a looooong time, no matter how you feed them or let them breathe. Now 8 cylinders is a different deal altogether. I wouldn't put it past those engineers at Honda.

I wouldn't be surprised but I sure would like it, a lot! I think Honda will keep on singing that old Rodger Miller song. What was the name of that old tune again?

We wish our troops success and a safe return.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 86 (permalink) Old 05-10-2011, 04:05 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow10 View Post
I think Honda will keep on singing that old Rodger Miller song. What was the name of that old tune again?

19?? Honda Mini Trail 50
19?? Honda XL 70
1975 Honda CB 125
1980 Honda CB 650 Custom
1981 Honda CX 500
1988 Kawasaki Ninja 600R
1993 Harley FLHS
2002 Harley Ultra Classic
2010 Harley Ultra Classic
2012 Level 1 Goldwing
2014 FJR1300
post #3 of 86 (permalink) Old 05-10-2011, 04:06 PM
Seasoned Member

My wishlist, currently...

(In no particular order)

Electric windshield
Top loading bags
6th gear (real overdrive, if I could pass gas in 6th it doesn't qualify)
Refrigerated/heated Cup holder (I'm working on the design, but it's too big right now)
Voice activated GPS (mainly I want ot be able to check for gas stations, resturants, motels, etc on route)
Bluetooth integration for headsets, cellphone, etc...
Adjustable seat hight
Brighter GPS screen (would settle for non-glare or better shelf over it)
Bigger trunk (It should hold two full face helmets)
Aux input for GPS screen (Want to mount FLIR on faring, but there are an infinite number of uses)
Distance to empty gauge
Third trip meter
More complete information available on GPS (avg mph, distance from start, distance as crow flies, bearing to destination or origin, altitude, rate of climb. It would be nice if it could all be offloaded to a flash drive with engine data, too.)
Wider base on kick stand with a few degrees more lean
Voltage meter
Outlet in the trunk

What follows is just crazy talk...

Optional turbo.
Ground lighting to help find a decent place to park or find that **** screw you just dropped.
Onstar like system for emergency rescue.
FRS integration instead of the ancient CB radio.

If you have to ask, yes I can explain it...

It's cheaper than therapy, less time consuming than homicide.

DDS 997[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #4 of 86 (permalink) Old 05-10-2011, 04:14 PM
Seasoned Member

anytime

About 1/2 of your list is GPS related. It could all be solved with a gps mounting station that would accept the latest and greatest gps that suits your individual needs. Could be designed and added mid-model year. No waiting.

Richard

DS#809

post #5 of 86 (permalink) Old 05-10-2011, 04:19 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Clem View Post
About 1/2 of your list is GPS related. It could all be solved with a gps mounting station that would accept the latest and greatest gps that suits your individual needs. Could be designed and added mid-model year. No waiting.

Richard
Yes, but I don't want to mess around with taking it off and putting it back on all the time.

My brother has lost a couple GPS's because he didn't put it in the trunk when stopping.

Honestly, except forthe bigger tupperware, top loading bags, and 6th gear, it could all be done right now, and about half of the non-gps stuff I've either done myself or am working on.

I'm tryign to get a peltier system to regulate cooling for a cup holder, I want ice in my water, not water in my ice.

If you have to ask, yes I can explain it...

It's cheaper than therapy, less time consuming than homicide.

DDS 997[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #6 of 86 (permalink) Old 05-10-2011, 04:20 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Although Honda has been developing the next generation Goldwing since before the 2001 was introduced the corporate reaction to "new threats" to their market dominance should impact the final product (a little). If the 2014 development is anything like the GL1800 development the motorcycle is already pretty much set. I think the "2012" has just enough new trinkets to get by till the next generation Wing.

Like the CB750K and the GL1800(A) the "Next Big Thing" should be extraordinarily interesting, to say the least. The new BMW 1600 is a great bike no doubt, but I think its effect on the development of the new Goldwing will be about as much as adding a deck chair to the Titanic.

There will be a number of unique engineering features, along with new fluff stuff. The new electronics should be groundbreaking. But the engine will be the big star.

I would not be even mildly surprised if we see a 2000cc flat 8 (250 cc per cylinder like the 1500) or a 2400 cc engine (300 cc per cylinder like the 1200 and 1800). After all, that old six cylinder has been around since 1988. Six cylinders, whether opposed flat or in line have been around a looooong time, no matter how you feed them or let them breathe. Now 8 cylinders is a different deal altogether. I wouldn't put it past those engineers at Honda.

I wouldn't be surprised but I sure would like it, a lot! I think Honda will keep on singing that old Rodger Miller song. What was the name of that old tune again?
Agree, much like the 1200 was a change like the 2012
post #7 of 86 (permalink) Old 05-10-2011, 04:24 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

BMXDad,

YES! That might be the song but I think the song had more about renting trailers than fried chicken.

We wish our troops success and a safe return.
post #8 of 86 (permalink) Old 05-10-2011, 04:26 PM
Seasoned Member

Time will tell!

Vredestein Quatrac 3REAR 195 55 16 R/F
V rated Avon Cobra Front
December 27, 2010 - 102 posts
People that are always offended, offend me!

post #9 of 86 (permalink) Old 05-10-2011, 04:26 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Although Honda has been developing the next generation Goldwing since before the 2001 was introduced the corporate reaction to "new threats" to their market dominance should impact the final product (a little).
They have? That's great!!!

Please post your source so I can read more about it?

'06 GL1800 Dark Red Premium Audio
42° 41.663' N / 73° 38.651' W
post #10 of 86 (permalink) Old 05-10-2011, 04:28 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
BMXDad,

YES! That might be the song but I think the song had more about renting trailers than fried chicken.

Vredestein Quatrac 3REAR 195 55 16 R/F
V rated Avon Cobra Front
December 27, 2010 - 102 posts
People that are always offended, offend me!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 1187 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page