How to build a gear shift indicator from scratch - GL1800Riders

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-21-2011, 06:47 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

How to build a gear shift indicator from scratch

If any of you guys are up to speed with electronics (no, it doesn't require vacuum tubes) here is the link:

http://www.electronics-lab.com/proje...006/index.html

If anyone gets it built let us know!

Here is a YouTube of its operation:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPNxT...eature=related

The sun in the video makes it a little hard to read the led.

We wish our troops success and a safe return.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-21-2011, 12:01 PM
Seasoned Member

Interesting concept indeed, but I'm afraid that every time a mis-shift happens (GW's gearbox isn't the greatest), this device will keep counting gears.... not very useful IMHO.

“Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rapidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of crap by the clean end.”
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-21-2011, 11:15 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marker4x4 View Post
Interesting concept indeed, but I'm afraid that every time a mis-shift happens (GW's gearbox isn't the greatest), this device will keep counting gears.... not very useful IMHO.
I suspect you're right.

It is actually simple to put together a Gear Indicator for the Wing (using not much more than a handful of diodes and resistors), because it has a built-in Gear Position Sensor. The hardest part is accessing the connector. On a non-ABS bike it's not too bad, but on an ABS bike it's a real pain (I know, because I've "done it" - i.e. I helped my mechanic friend do it on my bike!).

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-22-2011, 02:31 AM
Seasoned Member

OK, I must ask, why does one need a gear shift indicator anyway? If you are one with the bike and know how to ride, then you always know what gear you are in, correct? Otherwise I think it wise to give up riding and find another hobby if you don't know what gear you are in. Just saying.....

2007 Honda GL1800 Comfy, Navi, Prem Audio
2006 Yamaha XV1700 Road Star Warrior
2004 Honda GL1800
2001 Harley Electra Glide Classic
1998 Kawasaki VN1500A Vulcan
1994 Honda GL1500SE
1990 Kawasaki KLR650 Tengai
1986 Kawasaki ZN1300 Voyager
1978 Yamaha XS1100 Special
1972 Kawasaki S2 350
1976 Suzuki RM125
1974 Yamaha MX100
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-22-2011, 03:07 AM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toynaround View Post
OK, I must ask, why does one need a gear shift indicator anyway? If you are one with the bike and know how to ride, then you always know what gear you are in, correct? Otherwise I think it wise to give up riding and find another hobby if you don't know what gear you are in. Just saying.....
Unbelievable!

Gene Young
Corvallis, Oregon
Blue 2001 non-ABS
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-22-2011, 08:28 AM
Seasoned Member

Nice piece of engineering, execution, and documentation. Kudos to the designer. I was wondering about missed shifts as well and speculating putting the hall effect devices at the extreme end of travel would obviate the missed shift issue.

Pete
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-22-2011, 08:51 AM
Seasoned Member

shifting up I don't have a problem but sometimes in traffic in town and stop lights I find my bike in 1st instead of 2nd that makes it interesting

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-22-2011, 09:36 AM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
OK, I must ask, why does one need a gear shift indicator anyway? If you are one with the bike and know how to ride, then you always know what gear you are in, correct?
I'm sure most all of us have been riding motorcycles for 35+ years. I have. Through those years we've all gone without a gear indicator and survived just fine.

We've also gone through the years with bikes without fairings, windshields, cruise control, radios, reverse, heated grips & seats, gps, abs, electricly controled rear suspension, disc brakes, hydraulic clutches & brakes, and even centerstands. But we must agree that these technologic improvements sure are nice.

I never thought too much about a gear indicator until I purchased a 2008 Yamaha FJR1300 that had one. After riding the FJR for a while I noticed how positive & helpful it was to have an easy-to-read & always correct gear indicator. I grew to really enjoy it and would glance at it occasionally when ever there was any question of what gear I was in.

Sure, we all can survive and ride without one. But it sure is a nice gadget to have and I feel the Goldwing should come with one.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-22-2011, 01:05 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoKittGL1800 View Post
I'm sure most all of us have been riding motorcycles for 35+ years. I have. Sure, we all can survive and ride without one. But it sure is a nice gadget to have and I feel the Goldwing should come with one.

Kent
2004 White Wing TE
LIMNCS-#77

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-22-2011, 01:32 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
True wisdom has spoken, hallelujah!!!

“Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rapidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of crap by the clean end.”

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page