Concealed Handgun Permits & Entering Canada?? - GL1800Riders

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-05-2011, 08:14 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Concealed Handgun Permits & Entering Canada??

All the currently running posts inquiring about or discussing firearms in Canada have raised a question that I would like to ask.

I have a concealed handgun license (CHL) issued by my state of Texas. When I took the CHL training we were told to always show the CHL when asked to show a driver's license. Example, a police officer or state trooper stops me for a taillamp out or minor speed violation, show my TX DL and TX CHL whether carrying or not. We were told that police computers display the CHL when a records check is made by a police officer. I know that is true within the state of Texas, do not know if TX shares that information with other states, a national register, or even international register.

I know, of course, that I cannot carry a handgun into Canada at anytime under any circumstances. I would not consider doing that. I also know that Canadian customs officials are very serious about handguns. If I were planning a trip that would take me into Canada I would leave my handgun at home.

My question: If I should travel into Canada should I show my CHL at the border check point along with my passport, driver's license, registration, insurance card, etc?

Question 2: Do Canadian customs computers have the information that US police computers do ie do they know if they pull my personal information up in their computers that I have a CHL?

I don't want to attract negative attention by showing my CHL to a customs official but neither do I want to appear to be concealing it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-05-2011, 08:18 AM
Seasoned Member

#1 - no, you would be bringing additional questions & possible search.
# 2 - sorry, can't help
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-05-2011, 08:37 AM
Seasoned Member

I traveled up to Canada with a work colleague who stupidly (pre-9/11) didn't bring a passport or birth certificate. She proceeded to pull out her gun card for identification at the Canadian border. THAT was fun.

DISCLAIMER: This next comment is not meant to turn this into a "gun-debate":

Many folks outside the US assume we're all packing. I wouldn't be surprised to be asked each time I go to Canada if I have a gun..they assume you do and in many cases (due to us not being too bright and leaving them home etc.) we DO.

I wouldn't show ANY border agent anything but the minimum (Passport) and then politely and very briefly and simply answer any questions they ask. There is a post on another thread that was great by a person who went to Canada a lot as to the best "answers"..I'll try to find that. EDIT: last post, page one. http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=284825

But to the OP...NO, I wouldn't show anything to anyone at a border other than your passport. And if something shows in your record as having a CCP or whatever, deal with it when asked and be honest and forthcoming.

And leave your guns...and pepperspray, drugs, etc..back at home IMHO.

Darksider #264 and PROWLER #66
post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-05-2011, 08:46 AM
Seasoned Member

Send a message via Skype™ to ScottR
Canadian customs does not have access to US information. It's not a one world government, not yet.

If you drive into Canada at 2 PM, turn around and go through duty free and re-enter the US at 3PM, you can tell the US CO that you've been in Canada for 48 hours (the minimum time for duty free purchases) and they have now way of knowing if you've been truthful or not.

Never offer anything more than your passport. The more information you offer, the more questions they ask. Your goal is to give them the minimum information to gain access to their country. In fact, only your drivers license is required by Canada, a passport is not required by Canadian law. Only the US requires the passport and many checkpoints accept your license only as well.

All God's children have 'Wings.

Scott R McCaffrey
'14 Pearl Blue Level 2
Bushtec Quantum GL New
GWRRA # 299549
IBA # 48009
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-05-2011, 08:52 AM
Rocket Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBarlow View Post
All the currently running posts inquiring about or discussing firearms in Canada have raised a question that I would like to ask.

I have a concealed handgun license (CHL) issued by my state of Texas. When I took the CHL training we were told to always show the CHL when asked to show a driver's license. Example, a police officer or state trooper stops me for a taillamp out or minor speed violation, show my TX DL and TX CHL whether carrying or not. We were told that police computers display the CHL when a records check is made by a police officer. I know that is true within the state of Texas, do not know if TX shares that information with other states, a national register, or even international register.

I know, of course, that I cannot carry a handgun into Canada at anytime under any circumstances. I would not consider doing that. I also know that Canadian customs officials are very serious about handguns. If I were planning a trip that would take me into Canada I would leave my handgun at home.

My question: If I should travel into Canada should I show my CHL at the border check point along with my passport, driver's license, registration, insurance card, etc?

Question 2: Do Canadian customs computers have the information that US police computers do ie do they know if they pull my personal information up in their computers that I have a CHL?

I don't want to attract negative attention by showing my CHL to a customs official but neither do I want to appear to be concealing it.
You are required to show your Passport only, for identification purposes.

As far as I know, access to American records are done via NCIC only. Canada's CPIC is not linked to NCIC.

Canada doesn't care if you have a CHL....as long as "you left your guns at home Bill" just like the Johnny Cash song says.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
A champion is a dreamer who refused to give up
"Never let the facts get in the way of a good story"
IBA #34121

Blue Knights
Kawartha Chapter XV
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-05-2011, 08:57 AM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBarlow View Post
No.

post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-05-2011, 04:09 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottR View Post
Canadian customs does not have access to US information. It's not a one world government, not yet.

If you drive into Canada at 2 PM, turn around and go through duty free and re-enter the US at 3PM, you can tell the US CO that you've been in Canada for 48 hours (the minimum time for duty free purchases) and they have now way of knowing if you've been truthful or not.

Never offer anything more than your passport. The more information you offer, the more questions they ask. Your goal is to give them the minimum information to gain access to their country. In fact, only your drivers license is required by Canada, a passport is not required by Canadian law. Only the US requires the passport and many checkpoints accept your license only as well.
They must have access to some kind of info. I had a friend turned away at the border because they figured out he had a previous dui.
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-05-2011, 04:17 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldRider View Post
They must have access to some kind of info. I had a friend turned away at the border because they figured out he had a previous dui.
Yes, and I also have friend that discovered his false charge of assault and battery was available to the Canadian officials while trying to enter Canada in the Buffalo area. He was denied access into Canada, nearly lost his job, and spent a lot of money and time trying to get the charge expunged from his record. He thought the false charge had been resolved. After much grief and embarrassment and many dollars in legal fees, all is well now. Somehow, if you have any skeletons within your closet, they know.

There is always an "OVER YONDER"
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-05-2011, 04:26 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldRider View Post
They can definitely run a "Triple I" check, which which show ANY arrest you have ever had (not sure if it shows juvenile stuff).

As far as showing them a CCL? No way. Driver's license.....don't give them a reason to decide that you are "one of those undesirable Americans"

19?? Honda Mini Trail 50
19?? Honda XL 70
1975 Honda CB 125
1980 Honda CB 650 Custom
1981 Honda CX 500
1988 Kawasaki Ninja 600R
1993 Harley FLHS
2002 Harley Ultra Classic
2010 Harley Ultra Classic
2012 Level 1 Goldwing
2014 FJR1300
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-05-2011, 04:33 PM
Banned

They ARE definitely linked somehow I know of at least 3 people that are banned from entering the states for various reasons. All up here problems (2 DUI's)
So there is some sort of data sharing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page