Shoei Qwest Vs Arai RX-Q - GL1800Riders

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-17-2011, 02:00 PM
plcbithead1800

Shoei Qwest Vs Arai RX-Q

Hello All:

Going to be replacing my Arai Quantum II helmet in the next 2 weeks. I am looking for the quietest Full Face helmet (not modular or flip) I can find. Anyone have experience with either the Qwest or RX-Q?... others?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-17-2011, 02:57 PM
Seasoned Member

Quest

I've been using a Quest for the past couple of months. It repalced a Shoei Multitec. I like both helmets, but the Quest is a little more comfortable, quieter and less affected by the wind buffeting. I always felt like I was fight the mic boom on the Multitec. I had a J&M headset installed with the mic in the chin guard. That didn't work, so I built up a mount from foam rubber that moved the mic closer to my mouth and that worked perfectly. With the mic setting in a hole in the chin bar it had no volume and sounded like it was in a tunnel. The Quest might be a little warmer when setting still on a real hot day even with the sheild up. I've never had the perfect helmet, but for now the Quest is the one I'm going to use.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-17-2011, 03:18 PM
Seasoned Member

I have a Qwest. Before it I had been wearing a couple of Shoei RF1000's - which were the quietest helmet I had ever worn (and much quieter than the Arai Quantum II I had). The Quest is noticeably quieter than the RF1000. And every review I've read say it's the quietest helmet they have ever worn.

Just to clarify, for a while I had the Quantum II and the RF1000. I rode my FJR at the time (which had a very low windshield on it) for a while with the RF1000. Then just for grins I put the Quantum II on and went for a ride. After about two miles I turned around and went home and put the Shoei back on. The Quantum II is the loudest helmet I've ever worn.

Current bikes...
2015 BMW 1600 GT
2016 BMW S1000R
2012 Ducati 1199 Panigale
Previously owned a 2005 and 2009 Goldwing
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-17-2011, 03:35 PM
Seasoned Member

I have an Arai RX-Q as well as an Arai Profile. The Profile fits my head better so the Q may be more like your Quantum. I do think the helmet is pretty quiet but then so has been my Profile and my Shoei's. When I ride my Concours, there is naturally more wind noise then while on the Wing.

This is a day the LORD has made.

07 GL 1800 Orange Navi
11 Kawasaki Concours C-14
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-17-2011, 03:40 PM
DGM
Seasoned Member

My elongated noggin dictates the need of an Arai Profile helmet. If I had a rounder head it would be a Shoei for me because of the ease of changing face shields.
Changing shield on an Arai is a pain in the butt.

Dave (back home again in Indiana).
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-17-2011, 04:35 PM
plcbithead1800

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjsC6 View Post
I have a Qwest. Before it I had been wearing a couple of Shoei RF1000's - which were the quietest helmet I had ever worn (and much quieter than the Arai Quantum II I had). The Quest is noticeably quieter than the RF1000. And every review I've read say it's the quietest helmet they have ever worn.

Just to clarify, for a while I had the Quantum II and the RF1000. I rode my FJR at the time (which had a very low windshield on it) for a while with the RF1000. Then just for grins I put the Quantum II on and went for a ride. After about two miles I turned around and went home and put the Shoei back on. The Quantum II is the loudest helmet I've ever worn.
I agree with yours assessment of the Quantum II loudness factor. Mine also is awful and I get a lot of helmet buffeting. The thing that I liked about the Arai, was the fit and feel of the interior. Very high quality helmet.

I'll have to try both the RF-Q and the Qwest for fit
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-17-2011, 04:52 PM
Seasoned Member

I recently went from a Quantum II to an RX-Q and I definitely think the RX-Q is quieter. If the top front vents are open there is some additional noise so I usually keep mine closed. I had an RF-1000 prior to the Quantum II and liked the Aria better. The RX-Q cheek pads seemed to be a lot thicker than the Quantum II so I would try it on before you buy it.

Rob
"The Bear"
2010 GL-1800 Level 4
2007 V-Star 1300T
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-17-2011, 05:05 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by plcbithead1800 View Post
I agree with yours assessment of the Quantum II loudness factor. Mine also is awful and I get a lot of helmet buffeting. The thing that I liked about the Arai, was the fit and feel of the interior. Very high quality helmet.

I'll have to try both the RF-Q and the Qwest for fit
As a heads up (get it? ) the Qwest does fit much more snugly than the other helmets I've had of the same size. I think that is part of how they make it quieter. At first I was mildly concerned, but I don't even notice it now. But I do realize that it's all dependent upon your head.

Current bikes...
2015 BMW 1600 GT
2016 BMW S1000R
2012 Ducati 1199 Panigale
Previously owned a 2005 and 2009 Goldwing
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-17-2011, 05:06 PM
Chromeaphobe

Go with the helmet that fits YOUR head the best

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
2010 Red GL1800
Progressive Monos/Ultimate
2005 Silver GL1800-TE(sold)
Iron Butt-B2B,BB1500,SS1000

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 1837 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page