TIRE PRESSURES... for the GL1800 - GL1800Riders

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-31-2011, 06:24 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Question TIRE PRESSURES... for the GL1800

I do not recall when and where I saw this, but I think I saw it in this forum somewhere were the optimum tire pressure was talked about for the GL1800.

Now the manual says…if I am correct, ( 36 Front ) & ( 41 Rear ) as I recall. However I have been playing with the pressures some and found that 45 in the rear and 42 in the front seems to be the best…or at least that’s how it feels when I ride.

Now somewhere I was reading that many, it seems are going with 42 front and rear as I recall. I have Dunflops on my GL1800, worst tires I have ever had the displeasure of ever having on a bike in my life. All my other bikes I owned had Bridge Stone tires and I loved them. Now my dunflops are cupped so bad, and that’s using the stated so called proper pressures. That I will soon be replacing these with Bridgestones.

I would like to get some input on what pressure in the tires is best for the GL1800, both in gas mileage, handling and best over all tire life as well. I have just a little over 12,000 Km’s ( 7,500 miles ) on the dunflops, and that are bagged already. And that at the recommended tires pressures…!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-31-2011, 06:29 PM
Seasoned Member

Its different for every individual tire that you use. I do like about 41 in front and about 44 in rear if i have motorcycle tires on. If i have a CT i like about 36 in rear. There is no optimum pressure. I believe for it to be on the high side is better than the lower. I will tell you that putting Nitrogen in your mc tires is not worth it, but it is for the ct. It seems the ct from my experience holds the pressure better, even on a mc tire rim than a mt on a mt rim. my 2 cents.
post #3 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-31-2011, 06:45 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

So may I ask when you use a MT, what brand do you use and what do you find to be the best over all pressure for it...?

Myself, I like to keep a tire about 2 PSI over as thats better then low. Low pressure just adds more wear, and the tire runs hotter and the odds of a tire failure....at least in my books is higher on a low tire then one thats at pressure or a little over.

I am just trying to find the idea state for things as the GL1800 is NEW and I am new to riding a 1,000 pound monster like this. Owned this one for just about 3 months now, and have a little over 12,000 Km's ( 7,500 Miles ) on it already.....gee can you tell I ride....just a little....

post #4 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-31-2011, 07:23 PM
Seasoned Member

When I ran bridgestones 709 & 702 I ran 38 in front and 41 in rear tire. Worked great . You will find suggestions from 36 to 42 front and 38 to 45 rear. Kind of like asking what oil is best. Oh no, did I really say that???

IF YOUR BORN ONCE YOU WILL DIE TWICE
IF YOUR BORN TWICE YOU WILL DIE ONCE
post #5 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-31-2011, 07:42 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe In Calif View Post
When I ran bridgestones 709 & 702 I ran 38 in front and 41 in rear tire. Worked great . You will find suggestions from 36 to 42 front and 38 to 45 rear. Kind of like asking what oil is best. Oh no, did I really say that???
We all know the answer to that....its....AMSOIL......

Sorry just had to do it....you walked right into that one.....
post #6 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-31-2011, 07:50 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

I know that when I had my VT750 Honda Shadow, the tire pressure was given two ways. One was like 200 pounds weight or under then it was…for example 35 pounds, but at over 200 pounds…otherwise put riding 2 up…then its was higher tire pressure like 5 PSI more.

I see that with the GL1800 they do not have this, at least not that I have seen in the manual…unless miss it.
post #7 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-31-2011, 07:57 PM
Seasoned Member

Tires

Try a car tire on the rear and a rear cycle on the front. The additional milage will amaze you, and they handle great.
post #8 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-31-2011, 08:38 PM
Seasoned Member

Try riding it with the 10% rule. 10% increase in pressure from cold to hot. 38 and 41 seem to work with Stones. A lot odd things like temps, altitude, and speed will make a difference. The 36 front 40 rear seems a bit low for the front. The front heats up too much and increases the pressure too much.

It is a rule of thumb and not an absolute, so go with something and stay with it.

Cheers and Good Riding, Keith
DROP, FALL, AND DOWN ARE 4 LETTER WORDS
I, my typing, and spelling are far from perfect. Get over it.
post #9 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-31-2011, 08:41 PM
Chromeaphobe

CTs handle poorly. They need more effort to turn in corners. Many here like them. They do last longer and are less likely to have a flat.And cost less. So they have advantages. You decide.

Note NO serious riders, racers etc... use a car tire on a performance bike(racing)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
2010 Red GL1800
Progressive Monos/Ultimate
2005 Silver GL1800-TE(sold)
Iron Butt-B2B,BB1500,SS1000
post #10 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-31-2011, 08:56 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by laen View Post
CTs handle poorly. They need more effort to turn in corners. Many here like them. They do last longer and are less likely to have a flat.And cost less. So they have advantages. You decide.

Note NO serious riders, racers etc... use a car tire on a performance bike(racing)

(Double) Darksider #269
Florida Prowler #01 (Secret Scout)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page