Modular Helmet - Page 2 - GL1800Riders
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-02-2012, 10:05 AM
Seasoned Member
We have HJC modulars and love them. They use metal latches, not plastic. Water tight, ear pockets for speakers. All modulars are nosier than full face. Stay away from Nolan helmets! They do not stand behind their warranty!! I had problems with a Nolan modular, their answer was sorry, can't help you. That's even after the local rep said it had a problem and authorized a return! Tom
Sponsored Links
post #12 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-02-2012, 10:10 AM
Seasoned Member
Love Multitech

Had a Nolen, just didn't fit right. Bought the multitech and its my new fav. Will be looking at the Neotech when its available. A great feature of the shoie is a channel for eyeglasses/sunglasses.
post #13 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-02-2012, 10:19 AM
Seasoned Member
Originally Posted by Hooker 6 View Post
Don't know about the Neotec, but the Shoei Multitec is wonderful - my choice cold weather or hot.
+1 on the Multitec. I want to check out the Neotec. Haven't seen a price yet (gulp).
post #14 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-02-2012, 10:34 AM
Seasoned Member
++ 100% on noise. I have a HJC Sy-Max II. It is by far the most noisy helmet I have ever worn. It is worse than my 1/2 helmet. You will have to wear ear protection with most modular helmets to save your hearing. Read the section on ear plugs on Web Bike World....-Rich
post #15 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-02-2012, 10:37 AM
Seasoned Member
I have had a couple of modulars in the past and purchased a Shuberth C3 a little over a year ago. I find its fit, for me, to be excellent and noise as lower as any helmet I've used, including full face models. It is significantly quieter than any other modular (HJC, Noland) I've worn.

To summarize my impression, I have since purchased a C3 for my wife as well.

On an added note, we have had some issues with the SRC Bluethooth audio systems we've installed but in fairness, I have not yet downloaded and tried their firmware update which may resolve those issues.

On a positive note, the helmet we purchased for my wife turned out to be to small, putting pressure on her forehead after several hours of wear. She got her helmet shortly before we departed on a 3 week trip and complained 3 days into the trip, that she could not go on. I contacted Schuberth on a holiday Monday and the great lady there called around the country and found what may have been the only unit available one size larger at an online dealer. (Her ladies size had just came out and was backordered almost everywhere.) Between Schubert, the online retailer and myself, we managed to have a new helmet shipped overnight to a mail box location in the town we expected to arrive at the following day. There customer service was exemplary.
post #16 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-02-2012, 11:27 AM
Seasoned Member
I'll add one more vote for "don't buy it till you try it". All reviews aside, if it's not comfortable on your head you'll just wind up looking for a different one sooner rather than later.
post #17 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-02-2012, 12:31 PM
Contributing Member
Nolan N90

I looked for ages for a modular. I tried Shoei, Shark, Nolan, HJC, Vega etc. etc.. They all fit differrently, even different models within a brand. I tried the Nolan 103, trilogy and hated them, Didn't fit at all. The N90 fit excellently and is very comfortable. I purchased it and am very pleased. I always wore Shoei beforre that and wanted the Multitec but the chin bar was to close to face to make a microphone comfortable so think about if you are going to use a communications system as well.

Like they all said, try them on for more than 15 minutes and choose the one that fits best for you and has enough chinbar mouth room if you are putting in a communications system. Also, although I use Edsets and love them , I'v also used J&M. If you want J&M, make sure the top of the line speakers will fit in that particular helmet. They will not fit in all helmets and the lessor speakers aren't very good. Just my two cents.
post #18 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-02-2012, 05:07 PM
Seasoned Member
Send a message via Yahoo to ProfessorWizard
Myself :: I have a Shark Evo2... and so far I love it.

Although :: I did have to order "smaller" cheek pads to get the perfect fit.
post #19 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-02-2012, 05:27 PM
The new Shoei flip has a internal retractable sunshield
post #20 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-02-2012, 05:32 PM
Seasoned Member
the Neotec is brand new and not in stores as of last week. Expensive at $625+.

Shuberth C3 - quality thru out, expensive and didn't fit me worth a darn. Chin strap was like a noose! Folks at the store said that was a problem for a lot of people.

HJC Sy MaxII - I don't think it's nearly as bad as some have said, although I always wear ear protection so I wouldn't notice excessive wind noise. I find it fits well and is overall very comfortable. Now offered as Sy MaxIII with blue tooth capable.

...none of this means a thing if they don't fit you.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page