Difference between cruise control and a throttle lock on a 1800 - GL1800Riders
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-30-2012, 02:12 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member
Difference between cruise control and a throttle lock on a 1800

On another thread someone was discussing a throttle lock and when someone ask why do you need one when a 1800 has cruise he got blasted and told not to hijack the thread.....

Ok not PC but I live under a mushroom in the dark and get fed chit so I want to know what is the difference between a TL and CC?
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-30-2012, 02:29 AM
Contributing Member
Throttle lock is manual and holds throttle position only. Speed will increase or decrease based on load. If your go up a hill speed will decrease and vice versa going down hill. True electronic cruise control will adjust to the load in order to maintain the speed that was set.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-30-2012, 02:44 AM
Seasoned Member
The very limited use for a throttle lock on an 1800 would be were you are going slower and/or in a lower gear than the CC will engage. Most of the time if you are in a situation that the CC will not function you really shouldn't be using it OR a throttle lock anyway. Might be usefull in a parade or slow freeway condition.
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-30-2012, 04:46 AM
Seasoned Member
I have a throttle lock on my wing and I use it for situations where in need my right hand only for a moment and using the cruse will take longer. It is a good thing.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-30-2012, 09:08 AM
There are many reasons why I use my Vista Cruise, and why others feel the need for one. My stock cruise has no lag at all (I adjusted it), and I still use my Vista Cruise more when not on the freeway for long stretches.

My hand cramps up. Flipping a thump is faster than setting the OEM cruise.
A bike without a CB is behind me, and I want to point at something on the road. (I hate using my foot)
I want to point at something to a likewise rider. (cute butt bending over in a cage-Who wouldn't want a peek at that???)
I feel like resting my hand on my lap for a brief time if traffic in clogged up on a back road for a minute or two?.
I need to scratch an itch and can only get at it with my right hand.
OEM cruise doesn't set at low speeds.

These are some of the things I like about it. It's way faster to flip my thump than it is to use the OEM cruise. (I don't believe in leaving the cruise button in all the time).

We all have different wants and needs and a throttle lock is just another one of those things that some find a use for,and some don't.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-30-2012, 09:26 AM
Seasoned Member
More importantly ... cruise control will instantly dis-engage when you hit the clutch or brakes ... a throttle lock will not ...
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-30-2012, 09:56 AM
Seasoned Member
Back when I had my 85 Aspencade I never used the throttle lock. It didn't
make sense due to the reasons posted above (doesn't hold speed and will not
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-30-2012, 10:31 AM
Seasoned Member
I'm with Rocky on this.

I use my Vista Cruise throttle lock more than my cruise control for the same purposes that Rocky listed above. The Vista Cruise is just a convenience device.

I don't use the Vista Cruise to hold speed over long distances, that's what I use my bike's cruise control for.

No worries about disengaging a Vista Cruise either. When the tension is correctly adusted with the provided key, the throttle can be easily rotated to the off position even with the Vista Cruise ON. They are designed that way for safety. Plus I can manually disengage it with my thumb in a nanosecond at the exact same time I'm braking with both brakes. Not a problem.

I wouldn't be without mine. Very handy device.

2006 GL1800 - Arctic White
1987 GL1200A - Black/Gray
1981 CB750 Custom - Blue/Blue
1969 BSA 650 Lightning - Red/Chrome
U.S. Navy SWO (1967 to 1976)
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-30-2012, 10:36 AM
DSI Keeper
Since my camera is set up for a right handed user, I use mine all the time to snap photos. Especially handy for action shots and don't have the time for the cruise to set in.

Quick shots like this are easier:

Or last second thought of taking a shot like this:

post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-30-2012, 11:04 AM
Seasoned Member
My muscles don't work right all the time, and I need all the help I can get.
  • I have the factory cruise control and leave it engaged so I can use it whenever I want.
  • I also have a Cramp Buster "cruise assist" so I don't have to grip as hard.
  • I will be getting a throttle lock and for all the reasons mentioned above plus a few more.

I'll do whatever I need to do to be able to keep riding.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page