Changing spark plugs. - GL1800Riders

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-17-2012, 11:32 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Changing spark plugs.

Hey guys. I've been on here searching through the treads but can't seem to find any info on changing my spark plugs. I'm taking a long trip next month and i wanna replace the plugs before i leave. Where do i start? Any help would be appreciated, thanks..

Go hard or go home!!
03 Illusions Red GL1800
92 Bushtec Turbo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-17-2012, 11:33 AM
Seasoned Member

Send a message via Yahoo to kwthom
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycwinger View Post
Hey guys. I've been on here searching through the treads but can't seem to find any info on changing my spark plugs. I'm taking a long trip next month and i wanna replace the plugs before i leave. Where do i start? Any help would be appreciated, thanks..
http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showt...My-Spark-Plugs

● "Get busy living, or get busy dying." -Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption 1994 ● ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ ● IBA #50030 ●
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-17-2012, 11:38 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Thanks KwThom..

Go hard or go home!!
03 Illusions Red GL1800
92 Bushtec Turbo
post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-17-2012, 11:43 AM
Chromeaphobe

15-20 minute job
2-3 beers

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
2010 Red GL1800
Progressive Monos/Ultimate
2005 Silver GL1800-TE(sold)
Iron Butt-B2B,BB1500,SS1000
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-17-2012, 11:46 AM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by laen View Post
15-20 minute job
2-3 beers

Wow!!! For me.... 20 minute job, 1/2 beer.

2007 GL1800 ABS
2004 VN2000
2003 RoadStar
2001 GL1800 ABS
1999 Ace 1100
1974 CB350F

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-17-2012, 12:00 PM
Banned

1. If you have a owners manual, plug changes are covered there.
2. Curious, how many miles do you have on the bike? I ask this because plugs are usually good for many more miles than the suggested replacement miles!
Remove the small black inserts from mounting bolts(2) in the chrome strip in the middle of the "valve covers"
Remove the small black inserts from the lower bolts(3) in the spark plug covers.
Remove the bolts(2)(small heads) in the middle chrome strip, lay strip on a towel to prevent scratching.
Remove the bolts(3) in the lower spark plug covers, lay aside on a towel to prevent scratching.
You should now see the plugs. I blow a little air around the plugs at this time to clear any dirt/debris that may be present.
I remove/replace 1 plug at a time, after disconnecting the plug wire, of course.
On the left side, this is a good time to allow the crankcase breather tube to drain(located on the lower front area). Has a plug in the end one removes to allow it to drain.
A dab of anti-seize is suggested by some on each plug. A little dab will do ya'.
Plug gap is 1.0-1.1mm and I use OEM plugs.
Thread spark plug in by hand to prevent cross-threading.
Tighten to 18N-m
Reinstall plug covers and chrome strip
Torque 10N-m
Reinstall black inserts.
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-17-2012, 12:19 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Thanks guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfdeputydawg View Post
2. Curious, how many miles do you have on the bike? I ask this because plugs are usually good for many more miles than the suggested replacement miles!
Remove the small black inserts from mounting bolts(2) in the chrome strip in the middle of the "valve covers"
Remove the small black inserts from the lower bolts(3) in the spark plug covers.
Remove the bolts(2)(small heads) in the middle chrome strip, lay strip on a towel to prevent scratching.
Remove the bolts(3) in the lower spark plug covers, lay aside on a towel to prevent scratching.
You should now see the plugs. I blow a lower air around the plugs at this time to clear any dirt/debris that may be present.
I remove/replace 1 plug at a time, after disconnect the plug wire, of course.
On the left side, this is a good time to allow the crankcase breather tube to drain(located on the lower front area). Has a plug in the end one removes to allow it to drain.
A dab of anti-seize is suggested by some on each plug. A little dab will do ya'.
Tighten to 18N-m
Torque 10N-m
Reinstall black inserts.
Thanks for the help fellas.

@dptydawg, that's just the instructions i was looking for. My wing has about 48k and has never let me down. I usually pay my mechanic to do the work but this time i'm gonna tackle it. Why am i paying for something i could easily do myself, right? Thanks again for the tips..

Go hard or go home!!
03 Illusions Red GL1800
92 Bushtec Turbo
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-17-2012, 01:22 PM
Seasoned Member

Location: Michigan...................................... In The Thumb
Quote:
You should now see the plugs. I blow a lower air around the plugs at this time to clear any dirt/debris that may be present.
Tighten to 18N-m
Torque 10N-m
Reinstall black inserts.
That's the worst part of changing plugs in my book.

John
If Riding A Wing Is A Mid life Crisis....Bring It On!
2006 Dark Red GL 1800
Gold Wing, Adopted 4-21-06 Premium Audio/Comfort

R.I.P. Beverly, You'll be Missed!
R.I.P. Harry
R.I.P. Chuck
The "Black Pirate" has left us a message.

Did you get it?

DS 1020

Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3 195/55/16 ZP
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-17-2012, 01:26 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Tighten to 18N-m
Torque 10N-m
Reinstall black inserts.
deputy,
Y'all forgot the last line....

"Go for a Ride"

thecruiser

DARKSIDER #317
Tennessee Traveler # 15
Florida Prowler #85

The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page

Whenever we safely Ride home we promise God a little something.

(quote attributed to
Tony...........Chicago
2001 Black 1800

http://www.murgie.com/dsi_roster.txt
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-17-2012, 02:18 PM
Seasoned Member

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycwinger View Post
The Internet is the fountain of misinformation. Do yourself a big favor and read your owners manual for information on installing NEW plugs. It is not the 13 FT/LBS or 18 NM posted here. That is only for plugs that are being maintained and have had their sealing washer seated. That torque on a new install can lead to serious damage if the plug loosens and it is not covered under warranty.
If you don't have an owners manual, go to the plug site of the manufacturer of the plug you are installing. You are looking for 14 MM non-tapered plugs installed in an aluminum head. If you don't have a torque wrench most manufactures show a rotation method after hand tight on NEW plugs. It is also shown on the back of the box for multi packaged plugs from some manufactures. When in doubt call the manufacturer. They have people that can explain the difference between installing a new plug and reinstalling a maintained (probably cleaned plug) or any other question you may have .

Note: Make sure your engine is like overnight cold before removing or installing plugs.

2012 Level III metalic blue Goldwing - 59K trouble free miles
2009 metallic silver Goldwing - 43K trouble free miles

2005 VTX 1800N - 33K trouble free miles
2005 VTX 1300R - 16K trouble free miles
1975 GL1000 red with chrome fenders & Vetter Windjammer faring
1941 Tank shift Harley Davidson painted light blue with house paint

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page