new to trikes - want to buy - GL1800Riders

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-01-2012, 04:04 PM Thread Starter

new to trikes - want to buy

I live in MA. Rode a 2005 ( 2 wheels) goldwing for 3 years ( 2 cross continent drives) - had to give it up due to knee replacements. Now I want a trike -- only goldwing for me. My problems: no trike dealers in MA, want to take a test ride but can't find one, want then to buy (used), maybe 2008 - 2010. Need help with logisitcs of looking for a trike at a distant dealer, another state - I see PA, GA, and FL advertise a lot -- then what to look for, get it checked out so I won't buy a big problem (without knowing any mechanics in other states), how to register etc. Any suggestions???? Thanks so much
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-01-2012, 04:35 PM
Seasoned Member

My mechanic also does trike conversions. My wife wants a trike, but I told her not yet but we will eventually have one. They told me that they will only do two brand of conversions. DFT and I think Champion,but I'm not sure. They have the least amount of problems with those two. If you want specifics call them. D&D 480-731-9003 Everyone I talk to says they love their trikes. Good Luck on your search. By the way I am from North Adams Mass.

RIDE TO EAT, EAT TO RIDE. (R.A.S & S.S.) 2001 Valkyrie Interstate. 2004 Magenta Goldwing. Veteran U.S.A.F.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-01-2012, 05:02 PM
Seasoned Member

trikes

Check out the trike board here and also the gwrra magazine. Should be able to read it online. There are also some for sale on e-bay. You can get in touch with someone on the forum to check it out for you who lives in the correct area.

01 1800 / Yellow ( fastest color ) safety chrome[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Dunlop 3000GS 195x55x16 RF 32lb, Kuhmo RF 195/55/16 2nd bmt, Perelli RF 195/55/16,Michelin Alpine RF, centramatics

DS # 510

Does this tire make my butt look fat?
May You always put your kickstand down as many times as you put it up!

Most of my life, I drank beer, rode bikes, and chased women..........the rest of it I wasted! ! !
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-01-2012, 05:04 PM
Seasoned Member

I would suggest to visit the trike section on this sight. First most every one will say the one they have is the best. Also you can visit manufactures web sight. Before you buy make sure you ride as many as possible. Do not buy any make until you ride one.
Old Fred

2012 Champion IRS Trike RED
The older I get the better I used to be.
People in stone houses should not throw glasses.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-01-2012, 05:13 PM
Seasoned Member

Send a message via AIM to Wing Nut
http://www.cycledesignonline.com/ here's one in ma. also
http://local.yahoo.com/info-46384256...orsports-keene

2006 Black
RIP-JPINPA & The West Virginia Cardinal & Darlene
You'll Always Be In Our Hearts

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-01-2012, 05:16 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Fred View Post
I would suggest to visit the trike section on this sight. First most every one will say the one they have is the best. Also you can visit manufactures web sight. Before you buy make sure you ride as many as possible. Do not buy any make until you ride one.
Old Fred

Birds of a feather flock together

Halogen headlights suck!
Prowler #13
Darksider #707
Want to play a game of f.ck off?! You go first
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-01-2012, 05:27 PM
Seasoned Member

Garage
Hello and welcome to the forum.
Come to Florida on vacation and leave with a new trike.
In Inverness there is Trikes by Design and JR Harris Trikes, In Daytona there is the Trike Shop and Red Embers. In Kissimmee there is Trike Trader.
You can also check through www.trikecorral.com for trike shops close to you.
Check this page for your state: http://www.trikecorral.com/states/ma/massachusetts.htm

I.M.B.B.A. Technician II Certification.
Florida Prowler #11
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-01-2012, 05:32 PM
Seasoned Member

Ride with SO before you buy. Each BRAND has it's own issues and owners maynot tell you this and each owner says they have the best...Straight axle kits are cheaper than IRS and each ride different. I do not have a dog in this fight but used to work in a trike shop. It is like Dodge,Chevy,Ford all over again. According to HONDA when a wing is triked YOU HAVE NO WARRANTY.PERIOD...Some dealers will trike and HONOR warranty if bought from them BUT if say a Tranny goes out and HONDA REP gets involved then I would guess NO FIX EM FREE. Items that do not require the Honda rep to look at shouldn't be a problem.I hope you find what you like but would advise to ride them all on the roads the way you will travel to get a feel for them as a parking lot demo will not do. Then you decide rake kit or not and the list goes on. Not trying to scare you just do a LOT of reading first before you buy. Lots of good info on the trike board. A good installer is number ONE priority and no shade tree or part time mechanics on the side. Most brands are fine, some cheaper than others and options help decide this. The wing itself is pretty trouble free. Some trike kits require dropping running boards to change oil, etc...Good Luck and good reading

02 GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow (Just to mess with Z)
Champion Colorado Trailer (SOLD)
07 ST1300 ABS with goodies (SOLD)
02 GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow (SOLD)
DARKSIDE #1058 Kumho RF
IBA #57201

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-01-2012, 05:39 PM
Seasoned Member

http://fortmyers.craigslist.org/lee/mcd/3241641444.html

seen a lot from 16k up nice shape

http://fortmyers.craigslist.org/lee/mcd/3213960479.html

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

You are hereby officially PROWLER #83.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-01-2012, 05:59 PM
Seasoned Member

Both are Hannigans
Old Fred

2012 Champion IRS Trike RED
The older I get the better I used to be.
People in stone houses should not throw glasses.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 1556 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page