How to tie down on a trailer - GL1800Riders

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 71 (permalink) Old 05-16-2013, 09:18 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

How to tie down on a trailer

I'm sure this has been asked and answered before but I couldn't find it by searching. I am planning a motorhome trip to Sequoia National Park soon. I plan to put my Wing on a trailer and tow it behind me. What is the best way to strap it down? Engine guards....front forks....through the rims? etc... Should I compress the forks at all? Should I put it on the center stand, side stand, or on its wheels? In gear or neutral? Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 71 (permalink) Old 05-16-2013, 09:45 PM
Seasoned Member

I remove the side covers and use a soft wrap strap around the frame....then use rachet straps and connect to the soft wraps and pull towards the front of the bike and connect the straps to the trailer. I use two rachet straps on each side of the bike for safety........put the side covers in safe spot in the truck while trailering the Wing......no worries about touching any painted parts doing it this way.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Frank
Bear, Delaware
03 Candy Orange

post #3 of 71 (permalink) Old 05-16-2013, 10:01 PM
Seasoned Member

Condor Chock for the front wheel, drive right in....Soft Ties on the triple tree, DO NOT USE REAR ENGINE GUARD....learned that the hard way....
Best advise remove side covers and soft tie to the frame as already stated......this system works great in my toy hauler.....Sheared 1 bolt on the rear engine guard, it was a very cheap lesson, cost me 2 new bolts and no damage to the wing......

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Bill Sivori
Aviation Consultant
Captain Hawker 800XPI/400XP
Sikorsky 76
Iron Shields LE MC
2008 Goldwing
2005 Electra Glide FLHT Police Issue
1982 CB900 Custom
2010 Forrest River Toy Hauler
God Bless My Marine
Semper Fi
post #4 of 71 (permalink) Old 05-16-2013, 10:06 PM
Seasoned Member

I also remove the side covers and use the soft loop straps around the the round frame tubes straight out to the trailer with ratchet straps. Then I use loop straps on each side of the lower tripple tree and go down to the front corners of the trailer and ratchet them down about half of the fork travel.I also have a chock on the front of the trailer for the front wheel. I also tape any connections of the straps that could pop off from bouncing around.
post #5 of 71 (permalink) Old 05-16-2013, 10:15 PM
Seasoned Member

Click image for larger version

Name:	LauraVisit12 030.jpg
Views:	969
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	40089Click image for larger version

Name:	LauraVisit12 026.jpg
Views:	852
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	40090

Here's how i tie mine down, which is how the previous poster have stated. After you travel a hundred miles or so, check your straps for tightness.
post #6 of 71 (permalink) Old 05-17-2013, 08:18 AM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotdog View Post
Attachment 40089Attachment 40090

Here's how i tie mine down, which is how the previous poster have stated. After you travel a hundred miles or so, check your straps for tightness.
Pics are worth a thousand words! But is it ok to use the rear crash bars? thanks
post #7 of 71 (permalink) Old 05-17-2013, 08:30 AM
Seasoned Member

I posted this in another thread on the same topic, so I thought someone reading this one might need some of these soft straps. I ordered from HERE.

-- Jim --

post #8 of 71 (permalink) Old 05-17-2013, 08:59 AM
Seasoned Member

DO NOT use the rear crash bars for tie down points. Several people have broken the mounting bolts. Side frame and triple tree and leave room for the suspension to work. Blown seals are the result of cinching it down to hard.

RIP BEVERLY
2008 Titanium,1999 Valkyrie Tourer
2005 Bushtec Quantum GL
Darksider #62
AMA Life Member
Patriot Guard Rider
Florida Honorary Prowler #70
post #9 of 71 (permalink) Old 05-17-2013, 09:08 AM
Seasoned Member

Haven't ever tied the wing down for a trailer haul, but you will realy love the national park . Just got back from there couple of weeks ago, another great place to visit while out there would be the San Berdinio mountians , and Big Bear lake area . Nice roads going into there ,and beautiful mountians and ski resort type towns . Click image for larger version

Name:	VAC APRIL 2013 309.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	40093Click image for larger version

Name:	VAC APRIL 2013 259 (800x600).jpg
Views:	95
Size:	113.7 KB
ID:	40094 Sorry didn't notice you where living in that area , so I'm sure youv'e been to those places already .

primacy alpin rear 30 psi , battleaxe bt 45 front 40 psi
darksider #1029
post #10 of 71 (permalink) Old 05-17-2013, 09:18 AM
Banned

1. Obviously a front wheel chock!
2. Soft ties (one each side) around the lower triple tree plate. Ratchet straps to these soft ties to some anchor points forward of and somewhat outboard of the tree plate. Yes, you should compress the forks but, no more than 2"s!
3. On the 1800's the best tie-down points to stabilize the rear of the bike is the frame, under the side covers. Soft-ties around the frame and ratchet straps to points that are outboard of and rearward of the point where the soft-straps are wrapped around the frame. These should just be snug with no real "force" applied.
Front straps should be attached first to insure the bike is "pulled" into the front wheel chock.
A condor(or similar)wheel chick that "stands" the bike up is a excellent choice. However, if you have a front fender extension, make sure you have clearance to the wheel chock!
Check the straps often while towing! Have a extra handy, just in case!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 903 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page