Goldwing Wings - GL1800Riders

View Poll Results: What would you recommend?
Baker Hand Wings, Hands down the only choice. 58 82.86%
Chrome World Air Deflectors, the best choice. 0 0%
I've used both, and they both work equally well. 1 1.43%
They are both ugly, they don't work and they are both a complete waste of money. 11 15.71%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-25-2013, 12:55 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

Garage
Goldwing Wings

Looking for input and a comparison between the Baker Hand Wings and the Chrome World Air Deflectors. Which does a better job? #1, How are each of them for Passenger buffeting, #2, General wet and cold protection and #3, How do they work for redirecting air on Hot days. For #3, I assume that the Baker Wings do well, but not so sure about the Chrome World ones.

Current Bikes:
* 2015 Harley-Davidson Ultra Limited
* 2013 Honda Goldwing Air Bag

* 1971 Triumph Bonneville
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-25-2013, 01:14 PM
Contributing Member

What about including the National Cycle hand wings in the survey?
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-25-2013, 01:21 PM
Seasoned Member

Send a message via AIM to Italian Stallion
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluehighways View Post
Looking for input and a comparison between the Baker Hand Wings and the Chrome World Air Deflectors. Which does a better job? #1, How are each of them for Passenger buffeting, #2, General wet and cold protection and #3, How do they work for redirecting air on Hot days. For #3, I assume that the Baker Wings do well, but not so sure about the Chrome World ones.

With the Chrome World Air Deflectors the plastic strips covering the screws to remove the top shelter have to be notched, while with the Baker Hand Wings you don't need to notch out anything since they mount to the mirrors by using longer bolts supplied by the manufacturers. Having had both, my vote is for the Baker Hand Wings.
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-25-2013, 01:23 PM
Seasoned Member

All ugly !!!

2013 Ducati 1199 Panigale S Tricolore

06 Wing ABS, Dark Red, Fully Traxxionized
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-25-2013, 01:27 PM
Seasoned Member

I really like my Bakers. With the side wings being split the upper portion will give you plenty of air. The lower part can be left closed to divert hot air from the radiator vent away from you. In winter you can bring hot air from radiator on you.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-25-2013, 01:33 PM
Seasoned Member

I've used the Baker Wings since 04 and I like them.
The Hand wings seem to do the most good for passengers.
I also have the foot wings BUT only use them in the winter. They have a very big impact on gas mileage. Why that is I'm not sure but the do. 3-4 mpg
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-25-2013, 01:37 PM
Seasoned Member

While I've never had the Chrome World Air Deflectors I have had the Honda brand air deflector which are basically the same shape and style.

I have to say the Baker Built smooth out the air flow better likely due to its shapes. I happen to like the way they looks and the SO does too. In my unofficial testing, the air seems to be moved out farther that with the Honda brand. The other thing I like is that the acrylic used seems to be more damage/scratch resistant - harder. The Honda brand is clear ~ after just a few years of use, it looks terrible, hazed and the chrome is peeling too.

Installing either can be a bit daunting for the average person since you have to either drill large holes for the Air Wings or cut into plastic trim strips for the Air Deflectors. It was an easy task for myself having aircraft structure repair and machinist experience ~ measure twice (or thrice), cut once.

I'd suggest just diving in and getting the Baker Built Hands Wings and Air Wings with lowers and be done with it. I was that impressed I ordered the Leg Wings too. In Alaska, riding can, at times, be cold, wet and gusty. I want my wife to be as comfortable as possible. If you are a solo rider, it is still a great upgrade that the driver benefits from as well.

Bob

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-25-2013, 01:46 PM
Seasoned Member

I looked at the Tulsas also. They look like they would do a good job of directing air away from the rider, but can't be turned to direct air to the rider.
While the Bakers don't look as good, they can be turned in to provide cooling air on a hot day.

<font size=3><font color=#333333><font face=Verdana>If you don't watch the news or read the newspaper, you're uninformed; if you do.... you're misinformed.</font></font></font>
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-25-2013, 01:59 PM
Red
Chard Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Italian Stallion View Post
With the Chrome World Air Deflectors the plastic strips covering the screws to remove the top shelter have to be notched
Nothing has to be notched!

Those are Big Bike deflectors in the pic shown..... Been using them since '01.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-25-2013, 02:12 PM
Chromeaphobe

Baker hand wings only

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
2010 Red GL1800
Progressive Monos/Ultimate
2005 Silver GL1800-TE(sold)
Iron Butt-B2B,BB1500,SS1000

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 1219 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page