TAR SNAKES (what the world??) - GL1800Riders

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-04-2013, 05:44 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Member

TAR SNAKES (what the world??)

I can fix your a/c, I can fix your heat. I can do all sorts of mechanical stuff, but there is one thing that escapes my simple mind. Why in the heck do tar snakes affect the handling of your motorcycle so drastically?? It's one thing to feel the bike wiggle when running across tar snakes on a straight away, but man o man, when you hit one just right in a turn, it can make you feel like your going to bite it big time. Fortunately, I've ridden my entire life, so I am very comfortable when things start to feel a bit slippery when you lose traction, but why do these Tar Snakes seem to cause the handling to go away so drastically?? Maybe it's just a sensation that you get used to, but there was one section of road in North Geaorgia that was tar snake heaven, and I did not care for it all that much. Inquiring minds would like to know. Anyone have any input

Rick - Myrtle Beach, SC.
08' Pearl White GL1800

Cruising the coast since 2005
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-04-2013, 05:46 PM
Seasoned Member

Because they do not offer the same coefficient of friction as the pavement does.

StevieMac- any and all advice provided by me is of the "Use it at your own risk" variety. Common sense and your own good judgement must always prevail.
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-04-2013, 06:21 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevieMac View Post
Because they do not offer the same coefficient of friction as the pavement does.
Granted the coefficient of friction is different, but I wonder if there might be more going on here. Is it possible that the tar being "softer" when it is warmer results in some give or shearing in the tar? I notice the tar snakes way more on warm days.

Ron
post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-04-2013, 06:22 PM
Seasoned Member

They are also not - in some cases - solid.

We came across some tar-snakes that you could literally pick up with your finger - they had the consistency of cold gum. It was around 60 degrees and overcast that day, so it isn't like they had heated up.

That was my first experience with snakes like those on curves.

Larry
2010 GL1800/2008 Suzuki BKing
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-04-2013, 06:29 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemosley View Post
They are also not - in some cases - solid.

We came across some tar-snakes that you could literally pick up with your finger - they had the consistency of cold gum. It was around 60 degrees and overcast that day, so it isn't like they had heated up.

That was my first experience with snakes like those on curves.
The main difference is that tar snakes do not have any aggregate in them, only the liquid asphalt, or whatever blend. Asphalt paving contains in addition to the liquid asphalt sand and aggregate. It is the sand and aggregates that give you the traction with the liquid asphalt holding it all together.

Paul & Jodi
Lake Caroline VA
2000 Concours #1 Killed a Deer 2000 Concours #2 Sold for downpayment on Wing
2008 White Goldwing
Full Traxxion Mega Monte
DS# 905

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-04-2013, 06:31 PM
Contributing Member

Well...

I am going to cop it for this....mine does this to some extent just hitting white lines. My theory is quite simple, two things contribute. 1. If your tyre pressure aint perfect 2. In all honesty the Wing is a lousy handling bike.
There ya go. " coefficient of friction" yeah, right. Probly does have some effect, thats why we see other bikes spearing off the road every five minutes. Nah, I reckon its mostly # 2.
but saying that I continue to be awestruck by this machines capabilities...perfectly meets design brief, and exceeds most.
Flame away boys
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-04-2013, 06:33 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Fuller View Post
Granted the coefficient of friction is different, but I wonder if there might be more going on here. Is it possible that the tar being "softer" when it is warmer results in some give or shearing in the tar? I notice the tar snakes way more on warm days.

Ron
yes, they are softer when they are hot and the tire will push easier.

StevieMac- any and all advice provided by me is of the "Use it at your own risk" variety. Common sense and your own good judgement must always prevail.
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-04-2013, 06:42 PM
Seasoned Member

Not only will the change of road surface affect the coefficient of friction but the tire (rubber) compound willl have a profound affect also. The tire that you are running may have very little tolerence for the softer surface than another brand may have. There are multiple variables at work here. It seemed to me that the Dunlop E3 had little tolerence for those slippery little snakes whereas the Avon and Bridgestones were more accomodating.

Stephen
2008 Black GL1800
DS #246
He is, therefore, I am.
Cancer Sucks!
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-04-2013, 06:43 PM
Seasoned Member

Many would be amazed at how a suspension upgrade takes the "squirreliness" out of what a Wing does on a tar snake.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Me and Sweet Irene
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-04-2013, 07:02 PM
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonfromCB View Post
Many would be amazed at how a suspension upgrade takes the "squirreliness" out of what a Wing does on a tar snake.
I would also add tire pressure. I would run 40-41 in my front to counteract the cupping/scalloping
or otherwise premature disfiguring of the tire. Now that i have ak20 and new rear suspension it was suggested to me to drop tire pressure BACK down to the proper PSI when I was complaining that the bike rode way better but felt very squirmy on the snakes. Now my bike handles great on cracks and snakes with 36 PSI. Feels sure footed NOT running sold a front tire.

06 white Level 3 Traxxion
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the GL1800Riders forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page